I have the $398 laptop from WM

sissykus

I just wanted to let anyone who cares know that I have the $398 laptop from WM and it is absolutely worth the $$.

Have questions about it, just ask.:)

We have the laptop also. The only problem we had with it was all the junk that was pre loaded on it - but I guess you get that will all new computers.

yes you will get it but you must first upgrade the memory. It will not run on the computer with all the games that are pre-downloaded. I have deleted all of my games & still will need to upgrade. I called HP & they said to really run Vist the way it should, you need 1GB... even though the Windows site says a 512mb is what is needed. Yeah, a 512 clean memory, not a 512 prior to loading a computer with anything else...:(

I am not sure what types of programs people are putting on their laptops but mine is great. I use it for all my daily transactions and have never had a problem. I have also installed microsoft office w/frontpage, indesign, and pagemaker and am planning to install photoshop and I have had no problems with memory. Why do people need so much memory? If you are trying to store a lot of music or movies, they may do the trick, but my husband has an external hard drive for those things.

How do you take off the programs that were pre-installed on these computers?

We got one for my dad for christmas, he's going to love it. I bought a new compaq laptop at CC this week, and it's got all the stuff preloaded on it. I'd like to get rid of some of it.

How do you take off the programs that were pre-installed on these computers?

We got one for my dad for christmas, he's going to love it. I bought a new compaq laptop at CC this week, and it's got all the stuff preloaded on it. I'd like to get rid of some of it.

go to the control panel and then add/delete programs

I am not sure what types of programs people are putting on their laptops but mine is great. I use it for all my daily transactions and have never had a problem. I have also installed microsoft office w/frontpage, indesign, and pagemaker and am planning to install photoshop and I have had no problems with memory. Why do people need so much memory? If you are trying to store a lot of music or movies, they may do the trick, but my husband has an external hard drive for those things.

If you plan on updating to Vista, you will need your memory. It will take up much of it. HP told me to run it properly, I will need a 1gb memory.. and that was talking about the $398 walmart deal. If you do a check on that memory, you will come up with only 328 or 382mb's.. can't remember which. The reason the memory is so low is because they loaded that particular model up with a ton of games. You need to delete them to get some of your memory back.

While you may not need more memory, others do. I know my kids (teens & young adult) save a slew of pictures & songs, that eats up memory!

Actually, there's a big difference between RAM and hard drive space. RAM is used only when programs are running. So, having lots of pictures, music, and games on your computer would only effect the hard drive space, unless you are running the particular program. I would suggest altering which programs are included in the startup of your computer, because those are the ones that are eating up your RAM.

On the Walmart laptop the reason your RAM (memory) is showing up at 380 is because the system BIOS is giving 128 MB to the video subsystem. Just go into the BIOS and set the video memory to 32 MB and your free memory will increase and your performance will increase as well. I've got two and it worked like a charm on both.

On the Walmart laptop the reason your RAM (memory) is showing up at 380 is because the system BIOS is giving 128 MB to the video subsystem. Just go into the BIOS and set the video memory to 32 MB and your free memory will increase and your performance will increase as well. I've got two and it worked like a charm on both.

how do i do this I got two of the computers and they work fine but i was just wondering.

I got one of the $398 laptops too. I absolutely love it. I only needed it for internet use and its perfect for that. My CD Rom broke after a week, I tried to exchange it and of course they don't have any more. I am waiting for a return call from the dept. manager to see if she can order me another one.

Don't worry about Vista. It's not wise to buy MS Windows versions until they've had a year or two to work out the bugs.

As good as XP is, a lot of people seem to have forgetten the annoyance of bugs like Sasser -- a horridly stupid mistake by MS involving an unnecessary process running.