Linksys Router

It doesn't make a difference which router you use, you can buy any wireless router for your son's laptop. The biggest thing you have to worry about is your signal strength and unless your son is taking the laptop to neighbors around the corner it shouldn't be a problem.

...I bought my dad a wireless ParkerVision router and adapter set from Geeks.com last year. I have a Dell laptop with an internal WiFi modem and it works perfectly with the router (which is next door 2 lots away). I also bought a USB Belkin adapter for my desktop and it picks up the signal too. Whenever I go out of town I am always picking up a signal from someone, especially at hotels and airports.

These are all deals w/out rebates available right now:

802.11g 4-Port 54 Mbps Cable/DSL Wireless Router @ Geeks.com for $21.95

WGR614NAR--Netgear WGR614 4-Port Wireless 802.11g Router (refurbished) @ Geeks.com for $23.99

Netgear 108Mbps Wireless Firewall 4-port Router (refurbished) @ Geeks.com for $24.95

-When you get ready to check-out enter 'SHIP4LESS' in the red line. They have a promotion right now for $1.99 shipping on all items $19.99 or more.

Netgear / WGR614 / 54Mbps / 802.11g / 4-Port / Cable/DSL / Recertified Wireless Router @ TigerDirect for $16.97 + shipping