Input on SLVR and Firefly cell phone...anybody???

motherofboys

I hope this is the correct place to post this. My son is begging for one this year, but I am not paying the high price for it. I have found it on Cingular website for $100 after rebate if I purchase a new line, which I could do and then give my middle son my older son's phone number he has now and get him a Firefly. I am looking for input on any deals on the SLVR or info regarding if they are as good as all the hype about them. I don't mind paying $100 if they are a good phone.

Any information on hte firefly appreciated too. THANKS!

[quote name=

Any information on hte firefly appreciated too. THANKS![/quote]

my 14 year old has the firefly...got it from cingular for $75 with an instant online rebate of $75., so it was free. it is a good starter phone for kids. hubby and i love the fact that you can program it for up to 20 numbers and those are the only numbers that the phone can call or that can call the phone. the only way to change the phone numbers is with a 4 digit pin number (i programmed it before he got the phone, so i am the only one with it) it is good to have a we are using it to try and teach him responsibilty. hubby told him if he takes care of the phone and uses it like he is supposed too (he has rules about using the phone) then after a year we will get him a "real" phone.

Does it have to be a SLVR or just a phone with music capabilities? The Sony Ericsson w300i seems to be doing well and is less expensive after rebates. It can do mp3 and you don't have to go through the itunes store like on the SlVR. Motorola's new v365 (also Cingular) has music capabilities. It's not as slim as either of the other 2 phones but it has a nice feel to it so far ( I got it over the weekend--I love new toys).