Do you think that "Gottadeal" has any influence over BF & retailers?

abentley

I am just curious to know if we have any influence over store or retailers by doing whatwe "do" here. I know the ads are always "leaked". I wonder if any retailers check us out for info or for ideas to improve shopping experiences, or even what types of products we all want and will buy. Are we important to retailers at all or a thorn in thier side?

Companies spend alot on intelligence to keep an eye out on there competition and sites like this. For example Exxon spends millions on keep an eye on groups that are anti oil like Greenpeace and hire ex CIA, FBI and Secret Service agents to do intel on those groups, send in undercovers to spy on other oil companies and anti oil groups.

Compaines have alot to lose if an ad is leaked and there competition knows what they will offer then the competition can change there plans for get more business.

The site admins have a way of telling who visits the site by there IP address and domian address they are surfing from.

In the end everyone here wins becuase we have the freedom to choose what store we go to and wont have to worry about running a big company like Best Buy.

I don't know if I would say it was Gottadeal specifically, but these BF sites in general did make a difference last year. Wal-Mart was doing regional ads, some people would have had to pay a hundred bucks or so more for that laptop, plus other items were priced higher for some people. Shortly before BF Wal-Marts all around had a little handout of items with newer, lower prices (including the laptop at the lower price of the regional ads). So basically, I think they made the BF prices more consistent across regions than before. Also, some prices were lower than in any of the regional ads, most likely a result of them seeing other stores' ads.

Correct, lilac100. Here is a thing from Wikipedia about BF:

DMCA-

In recent years, some retailers (including Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, and Staples) have claimed that the advertisements they send in advance of Black Friday and the prices included in those advertisement are intellectual property and protected by the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Using the take down provision of the DMCA, these retailers have threatened various internet web sites who post Black Friday prices to the internet in advance of the intended release date by the retailers. This policy apparently derives from a fear that competitors, in addition to customers, will also have access to this information and use it for competitive advantage. The actual validity of the claim that prices are protected intellectual property is uncertain as prices might be considered a 'fact' in which case they would not receive the same level of protection as pure intellectual property.

The benefit of threatening internet sites with a DMCA based lawsuit has proved tenuous at best. While some sites have complied with the requests, others have either ignored the threats or simply continued to post the information under the name of a similar sounding fictional retailer.

I think any sites that post BF ads in advance of their normal release probably have an effect. I would assume that retailers are keeping a better watch on who gets the ads.

I also wondered, do the administrators at this site call the companies to make sure that the ad is valid before posting. And if so what if the company says "WAIT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT AD ALREADY?" Does it still get posted?

I think any sites that post BF ads in advance of their normal release probably have an effect. I would assume that retailers are keeping a better watch on who gets the ads.

I also wondered, do the administrators at this site call the companies to make sure that the ad is valid before posting. And if so what if the company says "WAIT, WHAT ARE YOU DOING WITH THAT AD ALREADY?" Does it still get posted?

That is a good question to ask Brad. Brad? :) I doubt it though, because companies like Wal-Mart and Best Buy don't like this site unfortunately.