5 young nephews and a big family - all overseas

I am very excited this year because I'll be able to afford to send a nice package to my husband's family in the Philippines. My problem is, I really don't know what to get (yet) because I have to take into consideration shipping costs and climate conditions.

The plan is to do stockings for all of my nephews - ages 8, 6, 4, 3 and 3 - and one gift to unwrap. They all like robots right now, but I don't know what to get. They also like chocolates, any kind. Anyone have stocking stuffer ideas for this bunch? I've read other posts and have seen some good ideas in general.

I also want to send something for the adults. Gift specific that would be mom, four sisters and three brothers. Then there's gift general: mom's family, neighbors and friends... Sure, I could cut back on the list but everyone is so close down there. Besides, I miss them! Most I haven't seen in six years - a few of my nephews I've never met.

I'll be mailing my package the Saturday after BF, so any ideas or suggestions I get will be greatly appreciated! :D

The 8 and 6 yo's might like the lego Bionicles. My son started with them when he was 6, the $9ish ones are the easiest to put together, come with great instructions and are light weight for shipping purposes.

Warning: Bionicles are addictive and have cost us hundreds of dollars...but we love them! Matt is 12 as of yesterday and still plays with them daily.

Bionicals are great! Lots of different colors and shapes and you can usually get them at WalMart/Target/TRU for about $6-8 each!

Shipping chocolate is hard, because it is warm there and the box might have to sit for a week or so in customs, etc. You might want to check with something like "Harry and David" or some other major shipper and buy a gift pack from them and let them ship it if possible. They will package it so it will get through customs better.

Plan to ship early -- if you wait until after Thanksgiving, it might not make it there if you are not sending to a Military address. Even military addresses need to be sent by early December!

HTH

June

it's not a military address... my husband, I'm proud to say, is Filipino :D I'll be shipping a large box right after BF so I know it will get there a few days after Christmas, but that's OK. ($80 for all I can fit in the box with no weight limit is a great deal!)

I love the Bionicles idea, as well as all the others. Price doesn't matter to me when it comes to getting ideas so anything is welcome! Thanks for the ideas everyone!

How about Radio controlled cars for the older boys or those spy toys (those are what my 7 year old nephew asked for)

My littlest nephew will be 2 in December and I'm getting him Duplo blocks and a Thomas the Tank Engine ride on train thing and an elmo/cookie monster thing like a magna doodle.

All kids like slinkies, silly putty and stuff like that as stocking stuffers--I used to buy my kids Candyland and Chutes and Ladders every year when they were little(they would lose the pieces and need a new one by the following Christmas) Do they like to play board games or are they more active and prefer footballs and basketballs and baseball stuff?

How old are the sisters? Would they like something like a nice perfume or would they like a new game or kitchen stuff better?

After all this talk about sending a package, turns out I likely will be flying there for New Year's! I only have nephews there, no nieces. My daughter is the only granddaughter for my MIL so having her means a lot to me. :) I do wish, though, that I had some nieces there to dote on.

Legos, duplos, and maybe transformers for the boys. You can't go wrong with legos, particularly the bionicles. Pop-up books. There are some terrific pop-up books out there in a variety of themes. Some of them are very detailed.

Spinning suckers. It sounds silly, but my son absolutely loves those things. They have them at Walmart or Target. The base either spins the sucker or, years ago, my daughter had one that played music. You could only hear it when the sucker was up against your teeth.

Recorders or Harmonicas. The parents will hate you, the boys will love them.

With all the candy suggestions maybe I should just fill up the stockings with candy and get one gift! I'm sure my in-laws will be thanking me for getting their kids on a sugar high! :D

If you do that, you might want to give them their gift just before you fly back home! ;)