Plasma Tv deals

lovebears65

Hi. Can anyone give me a little insight on the difference between Plasma and LCD tv's? I have heard that Plasma tv's are prone to "burn in" and don't have a lifespan as long as LCD's, but have a better picture. Is this correct? I would like to get one to hang on the wall over my fireplace at home. Thanks for any/all help!!

That is the same thing i've heard from my uncle about LCD and plasma TV's, Kamcgrory. Plasma is a better quality picture, but doesn't last as long and is more expensive. I'm hoping to get a LCD 15" this year at Best Buy. My uncle knows a lot about this, because he's an engineer for NASA and works with electronic equipment all the time. :)

Take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I was told at a higher end electronics store when purchasing our Plasma TV last year at this time as we were building a new home with integrated audio/visual throughout. I am going on memory here.....but alot of it will also depend on the environment for the TV....ie, light from windows, viewing angles, and the like. If you are putting the TV in a basement, LCD or DLP would be well suited for those technologies. You will also find that the same money will buy you a larger screen versus Plasma. LCD is actually a fairly old technology. Some of the LCD/DLP TVs do employ bulbs that will need to be replaced after so many viewing hours. Plasma is well suited to well lit environments as they do not reflect light like the LCDs. They also lend themselves better to be mounted on walls. As for burn in, some of the concern might lie in say a video game being left on, but many of the newer TVs employ technology that will sense this and prevent. I really recommend you go and talk with some at a best buy or circuit city. While not selling really high end equipment, the men and women working there know there stuff and will be a good source to help you decide what it best for you. I am in the market for a LCD/DLP this year for our basement rec room.....hoping to get something at least the same size as my LG Plasma and hopefully larger and not real picky as to brand or technology. TV for the kids in their playroom and something I don't mind watching the football game on.

Take this with a grain of salt, but this is what I was told at a higher end electronics store when purchasing our Plasma TV last year at this time as we were building a new home with integrated audio/visual throughout. I am going on memory here.....but alot of it will also depend on the environment for the TV....ie, light from windows, viewing angles, and the like. If you are putting the TV in a basement, LCD or DLP would be well suited for those technologies. You will also find that the same money will buy you a larger screen versus Plasma. LCD is actually a fairly old technology. Some of the LCD/DLP TVs do employ bulbs that will need to be replaced after so many viewing hours. Plasma is well suited to well lit environments as they do not reflect light like the LCDs. They also lend themselves better to be mounted on walls. As for burn in, some of the concern might lie in say a video game being left on, but many of the newer TVs employ technology that will sense this and prevent. I really recommend you go and talk with some at a best buy or circuit city. While not selling really high end equipment, the men and women working there know there stuff and will be a good source to help you decide what it best for you. I am in the market for a LCD/DLP this year for our basement rec room.....hoping to get something at least the same size as my LG Plasma and hopefully larger and not real picky as to brand or technology. TV for the kids in their playroom and something I don't mind watching the football game on.

Sorry, tgunn, but you have this backward. ;)

PLASMA reflects a lot of light (the screen is glass, not plastic matrix as with LCD), and is therefore best suited for a basement or similar windowless environment. With no ambient light to provide glare, plasma provides by far the best picture quality available. Also, inch for inch, plasma is generally cheaper than LCD. Only recently has there been some parity in the 40-42" segment, but for the most part, you can get a better plasma at 42" than you can an LCD at the same price point (eg, Panasonic plasma = good, vs. Philips LCD = not so good). But for sizes larger than 42", you can't beat plasma value. A 50" plasma costs about as much as the average 42-46" LCD, if both are from good manufacturers (Samsung, LG, Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, etc).

Lastly, both LCD and plasma can be wall mounted (harder with DLP), but plasmas do weigh a lot more because of the glass. You can more easily mount an LCD than a plasma (for instance, many LCDs under 37" don't require a stud to be mounted--drywall with good anchors will do).

PM if anyone has questions. I strongly recommend anyone thinking about buying a bid TV peruse AVSForum.com. The folks over there know their stuff inside and out.

Cheers,

Shrip