Thoughts on the Fly Pen and Fly Wheels XPV?

*pixie*

I've been faithfully lurking here since last Black Friday, actually, maybe even the year before, and this is just now my first post!

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the Fly Pen? I've been kicking around getting this for my 9-year-old DD. She has really been wanting a fancy journal and I saw the Fly Pen has one. My concern is how much it will actually be used. I can see having a toy that will do math problems being fun at first, but then thrown in a drawer after that. But I keep seeing that people have this on their lists, so maybe I'm wrong?

And my almost 6-year-old DS saw the new Fly Wheels XPV on t.v. the other day and thought it was the coolest thing ever. I keep seeing mixed reviews about whether or not it will actually fly. So again I have concerns about buying another expensive toy that will be thrown in the bottom of the closet after 10 minutes of playing with.

If these were black friday items, I think I could better justify taking the chance if I got them at a great price.

I wish there was a way you could *test drive* toys!!

As a parent of 4 kids, and soon to be a gramma..(who said that :eek: ) I wish they would let us all test drive things. Mostly it's just a hit and miss.

It would be nice if they had fly pens on BF. I homeschool 2 kids and I'm wondering how good they are for something like that. I'm pretty sure that the pens have like little computer brains in them. I could be wrong tho. The fly wheels I'm unsure about. But I don't watch much tv. Darn thing puts me right to sleep. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help.

If you're going to get the Fly Pen, check out Wal-Mart's clearance section. The pen itself is not on sale, but a lot of accessories are. I can't guarantee yours will have it on clearance, but I've found items at multiple Wal-Marts near me, so my guess is it's nationwide.

Never thought I'd ever need to buy fly paper in the clearance section!

My young brother and cousin are both wanting the xpv. I researched and found one on sale for 49.00. I thought that was not bad. However, I then realized that the "required" battery packs are an additional $50.00! So, at $50 present became $100 present. I am really dissapointed in the company for doing that. I think it is subversive at best and I wont be buying one.

I purchased the fly pen last year for my 13 year old, because she wanted it. It was a waste of money, she's hardly used it. It soundls like a good idea but it's kinda complicated because you have to write it on their special paper & just right.

That's exactly what I'm afraid of. I've pretty much talked myself out of the Fly Pen, but I'm still undecided on the Fly Wheel. I'm kinda waiting to hear from someone who has actually used one, but don't know if that will happen before Christmas!

On Toys r us website, customer comments for the XPV are not very good. Some people say the toy is awesome but most say its a cheap styrofoam airplane that gets knocked around in the wind. Although there were people that loved it, there were alot that hated it so I am not planning on buying it. We bought a remote control plane last summer that was mostly styrofoam and it sucked.

On Toys r us website, customer comments for the XPV are not very good. Some people say the toy is awesome but most say its a cheap styrofoam airplane that gets knocked around in the wind.

I was actually starting to think about getting one for my son after watching the demo video that is linked into the page from TRU.. but after looking more closely to see the foam you were talking about and the peoples reviews there, I'll pass. For a total of 80.00 between the XPV and the battery pack, it's not worth it to me. Glad I read more here before ordering it.

I was actually starting to think about getting one for my son after watching the demo video that is linked into the page from TRU.. but after looking more closely to see the foam you were talking about and the peoples reviews there, I'll pass. For a total of 80.00 between the XPV and the battery pack, it's not worth it to me. Glad I read more here before ordering it.

I bought a remote control AirHogs plane this summer on clearance from Target. A breez does make it harder to fly but it is so much fun that I was planning on going to the website to see the regular price. I only paid $17.00 so it wasn't a bad deal. The XPVs are a little overpriced in my opinion.

And the FlyPen is on clarance at target right now. They come with a charger and they are scanning (ALWAYS SCAN) at around $62.00.

I bought a remote control AirHogs plane this summer on clearance from Target. A breez does make it harder to fly but it is so much fun that I was planning on going to the website to see the regular price. I only paid $17.00 so it wasn't a bad deal. The XPVs are a little overpriced in my opinion.

And the FlyPen is on clarance at target right now. They come with a charger and they are scanning (ALWAYS SCAN) at around $62.00.

thriftee1

If you're still interested in the Fly Pen, Target had some on clearance for $69.97. I seen them at two different Target store's in the back toy aisles.

Thanks to both of you.. will have to go check them out. I found one with the charger and all in it at wally world but they wanted 128.00 for them. If our target has them on clearance for that price I can get 2 for what WM wants for them. Thanks again!

Toys R Us has the XPV for $49.99. Target had them for $69.99 plus the battery. It does bite to spend an additional $30 for the battery pack. We bought the extended replacement warranty for $4.99 which covers it for a year. If it doesn't work out after the normal time for a return with the receipt, we'll just get the money back from the replacement plan. DS likes the fact it goes on land and in the air. Time will tell.......

Not to keep anyone from buying a Fly Pen but my inlaws got my 9yr old son one for Christmas last year. It had to be the red one that only Target was selling.:He thought it was great for about 2 weeks. It is in the drawer right now. :eek: I tried to work it and I thought it was complicated. I wouldn't suggest purchasing unless it is on sale *CHEAP*!! Lots of luck!!

The big problem I had when researching this for my 13 year old, was the fact that you can only use their special paper. I was going to buy it for her after I saw that it would help solve math problems, and she is struggling in math because of her dyslexia with numbers. But the paper thing made me change my mind.

• 3 weeks later...