Do you do anything special for your child's classroom?

momof5plus1hubby

I don't do anything "special", I donate crayons, paper, pencils, tissues, cups, plates, snacks, drinks and more tissues, then some more tissues. They give me the impression that doesn't happen alot, when I send tissues they act like I have given them a million dollars ;)

I already bought cups, pencils, candy, and toys for Halloween. I haven't decided what I am doing for Christmas yet because the class party is the same day as my son's birhtday and I'll already be bringing in something for that.

Are you allowed to bring in things you make at home, like cakes or cupcakes? We aren't allowed to here, everything has to be store bought and unopened.

Are you allowed to bring in things you make at home, like cakes or cupcakes? We aren't allowed to here, everything has to be store bought and unopened.

I made cookies for my son's snack day and have throughout the years for my other kid's classroom parties/birthdays. I know the school doesn't like cakes/cupcakes because they are too messy. One of my son's classmates had a birthday last week and the mom brought in cupcakes for him to pass out and the teacher told her that it was a mess and not to do it again. I am glad I found this out because I was thinking of cupcakes for his birthday for the class, but now I'll have to find something else. I will probably do candy/toys/etc.

My son's teacher has split the class into thirds (it's a small class) and each has a turn "hosting" a holiday party (Halloween, Christmas, Valentine's), with each student bringing something as assigned by the teacher. Anything goes at these parties, and on birthdays when the birthday kid gets to bring a special treat in... for example, someone had a birthday today and she brought in homemade cupcakes. On regular days it's normal snacks like pretzels and crackers. This is his first year in school, so I'm eager to see what will be done for Christmas. I should ask his teacher if classroom supplies are needed- that's a very good idea.

Here no specific holiday celebrations (Christmas, Easter, Halloween etc)

are allowed in public schools in our area. People were offended, if

they were of a different religion, belief etc.

They generally have a Winter Solstice party or Snow Party instead,

which in all honesty is just a cover-up for a holiday party :idea:

Sad, same area as no tag at school. God Massachusetts really sucks

sometimes :gdangry4:

It is way too expensive to live here for the average person trust me !

I could not imagine not being able to bring cupcakes to school that I make myself. I save so much money doing them myself, plus I let me daughter help and she loves taking them in! :)

As for holidays, I have done a lot of different things. One year for Christmas we went to the Dollar Store and bought everyone in class a little toy. One year, we made goody bags with pencils, candy, etc. One year, we gave out holiday cups with candy inside of it. I also always let her give out Christmas cards. The way I see it... any little thing makes the kids day. It always amazes me at how grateful they are over the smallest thing.

As far as her classroom party goes, we make cupcakes, cookies, or a cake. For example, for Halloween we are making "mud cups" which is nothing more than pudding with crushed oreos and gummy worms. lol

One year, I gave each of the kids in my son's class a santa hat.

I love this idea! Very original!

I bought crayons and wrapped them up for each kid in pre-school and kindergarten. They seemed to have a problem keeping up with crayons. Kids would take my son's crayons and I was constantly buying them.

Now that he's in 5th grade, I'm not sure what I'll do. I always send stuff in for the partys to help out.

The Santa hats are a great idea, I wonder if our school will allow that?

I didn't even thing about the fact that this may be a problem. I keep forgeting that some schools are extremely politically correct. It ruins some of the fun of Christmas (excuse me) the holiday. :mad:

Personally, I am going to take them in and see what happens. If you are worried I would suggest calling the school and checking. HTH