Christmas Trains

Guest bluesrule9

Guest bluesrule9

Wondering if anybody still does train sets for Christmas.

I have a vintage (late 50's) Lionel set passed on to me by Great Grandparents. Used to put it around the tree, but I have a new location in a new house that allows me to put up the old train encircling a Chrismas Village.

Trains are a very popular item around the holidays still.

I work in a hobby shop where we deal with this all year :)

Lionel is still a decent name brand, unfortunately as with most hobby products, they are no longer made in the USA. I totally trust their quality controls though, as we have had few, read: under two, returns of any of their products in the 5 years I've been with this shop.

The other brands we deal with on a regular basis are Bachmann, and Life-Like. Both are pretty good products. The downside is that they market most of their sets, which include lower quality trains in them, for the holidays specifically. Meaning that they assume that the train will be used for, at most, a few weeks a year. If you were to set up a permanent layout, I would suggest looking at something of a little higher quality just to alleviate a little bit of the maintenance that goes along with it.

I have a few layouts that I've built in my time so far, and I've thoroughly enjoyed the process :)

-Mike

I am in the market for a christmas train as well this year. I want one that will go around the tree. I did find one at Sams Club . It has a train plus a trolley with its own track, so a 2 in 1. It's a little bit more money than I wanted to spend so I'm going to hold off for the time being.