>>> Official Black Friday DESKTOP Discussion Thread <<<

Brad

Got my new computer, all hooked up already!

I got the HP for $699 at Best buy. I called this

morning and they said they had plenty, by the

time I got there he said he sold 20 in the last hour

and he just sold the last one! I freeked! I asked

him to look if anyone else had them and he did

and was like it says we have 15 so I'll go look.

He found them! I was so excited! What an idiot

though! Oh well! I'm still getting to know my new

computer but I love it so far!

Leaps and bounds from my old 'puter with a slow

celeron and Windows ME!!!!

I went for the HP computer at officemax for $799. I applied for their credit card which had free interest until 2008 and also took 10% off of the price making the total price $719 plus tax. Very happy. It beat all of the deals I tried to configure at Dell by hundreds of dollars with the same features.

I'm not hearing much about the Compaq® Presario PC Media and Entertainment Center for $398 at Wal Mart. I was at WM at about 10am this morning and there was a pallet with about 5 of these on it near the receiving doors. I don't know if they were hidden in the back or just something no one wanted. I put one in my cart and then a few more people did too. It's still in the car. I'm not sure if I should keep it or take it back? Our current computer is at least 6 years old. It's a cheap HP. The color on the monitor is screwed up and we don't have a CD burner. I would think just about anything would be a huge improvement. I want to burn CD's, do some photo stuff, surf the net, and my kids like to play the Sims. With the Compaq will I be able to plug the cable thing in for DSL or will we have to install a new thingy (looks like a big phone jack/had to do that for our current computer)? Do you think this computer will work for us? Sorry to be such an airhead!

BTW - Virgin poster!

I'm not hearing much about the Compaq® Presario PC Media and Entertainment Center for $398 at Wal Mart. I was at WM at about 10am this morning and there was a pallet with about 5 of these on it near the receiving doors. I don't know if they were hidden in the back or just something no one wanted. I put one in my cart and then a few more people did too. It's still in the car. I'm not sure if I should keep it or take it back? Our current computer is at least 6 years old. It's a cheap HP. The color on the monitor is screwed up and we don't have a CD burner. I would think just about anything would be a huge improvement. I want to burn CD's, do some photo stuff, surf the net, and my kids like to play the Sims. With the Compaq will I be able to plug the cable thing in for DSL or will we have to install a new thingy (looks like a big phone jack/had to do that for our current computer)? Do you think this computer will work for us? Sorry to be such an airhead!

BTW - Virgin poster!

Here's the long-awited complete specs on the $398 WM Compaq:

HP vs15 15" flat panel monitor

Intel Celeron D Processor 352 at 3.2GHz

512MB PC2-4200 DDR2 SDRAM memory (expandable to 2GB)

80GB 7200RPM Ultra DMA hard drive

Integrated ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Graphics (up to 256MB shared)

CD-RW/DVD-ROM combo drive 48x32x48x16x max speed

Realtek ALC888 8-channel High Definition Audio

Realtek RTL8100 10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet controller

56k modem

Compaq keyboard, Compaq scroller mouse

To answer your specific questions: It will allow you to connect a DSL/Cable modem (erthernet cable), burn CDs but will only play DVDs, surf the net, and should even be powerful enough to play "The Sims". So this computer should do you perfectly. Enjoy it. You need a major computer upgrade.

And once you do it for the first time, you're no longer a virgin. Welcome to GottaDeal!

Im waiting for the ATI X1600 to be delivered, and my Happague PVR150. I've got 512mb spare memory, and a 200gb, and a 160gb hard drive along with a 16x dual layer DVD-R I'm putting in the $190 BB emachines. The power supply is 300 watts, and the case has better cooling than expected, including a duct for the CPU heatsink to exit the side vent. This is being displayed on the 22" westy monitor. All in all, it's a pretty nice HTPC for the office. I put it all on the $60 "L" shaped desk Office Max had for $60. I love it all!

Im waiting for the ATI X1600 to be delivered, and my Happague PVR150. I've got 512mb spare memory, and a 200gb, and a 160gb hard drive along with a 16x dual layer DVD-R I'm putting in the $190 BB emachines. The power supply is 300 watts, and the case has better cooling than expected, including a duct for the CPU heatsink to exit the side vent. This is being displayed on the 22" westy monitor. All in all, it's a pretty nice HTPC for the office. I put it all on the $60 "L" shaped desk Office Max had for $60. I love it all!

Impressive list of upgrades, but you're still stuck with the Celeron D processor. Maybe would've been cheaper, and a lot less time consuming if you waited in line for that eMachine, just to get a processor/mobo combo from Fry's Electronics or someplace similar if you've really got that much already.

So, who wants to upgrade their memory or install a new graphics card? :yup: Bring on the questions!

Ok, I'll ask the same question here that I asked over in the lappy thread....Does anyone know the memory configuration for the BB eMachines? I cracked open the Toshiba and found1 512K but it's a little bit more time consuming on the desktop. Not to mention, I've yet to repack the laptop.

Ok, I'll ask the same question here that I asked over in the lappy thread....Does anyone know the memory configuration for the BB eMachines? I cracked open the Toshiba and found1 512K but it's a little bit more time consuming on the desktop. Not to mention, I've yet to repack the laptop.

The eMachine should have 512MB (MegaBytes), not KB (KiloBytes), of PC2-4200 memory. Not sure if it's just one chip or two 256MB chips, but it shouldn't matter too much as you should have at least one more memory slot.

And I hope 'ya didn't literally CRACK open your Toshiba. It's just a tiny lil' screw. :P