What are your thoughts on trampolines?

crix101

I just bought one almost 2 months ago. I didn't set it up yet because I didn't want to turn around and tear it down for the winter. I am kinda worried about injuries, but not as worried having the enclosure on it. My brother has one set up at his house(no enclosure) and it makes me so nervous when the kids get close to the edge.

People my say they wouldnt sue but they would.

Well, they wouldn't sue, probably, but their health insurance company would sue your home insurance company, and your rates probably wouldn't decrease as a result. So you've still got a reason to keep them away ;)

As for broken bones, one of my cousin's sons fell out of a chair (in the sitting position) and broke his collarbone.

We have one and my kids love it. It actually came with the house!

My friend has one too and her dh was not liking the idea so they compromised and put it in the ground(put the legs in the dirt). So when the kids just on it if they fall off they are not going to fall that far.

Check your insurance first! Some insurance companies don't cover it or cancel your insurance if you have one....I don't like them but I don't want the responsibility when some kid falls off of it and we get sued (and if you don't think they will, start reading because it happens everyday). Its the reason some insurance companies don't cover pools or trampolines.

If you decide to do it, than get all parents of nieghborhood kids to sign a waiver. Check into your homeowners insurance too. I had one growing up, but dh says "no way" for our little ones. Wehave already had broken arms without one.. I could only imagine what we could do with one.

My brother and I had one growing up. I guess we had it for about 6-7 years. It was so much fun. All the neighborhood kids would come over and we'd all play on it. Sure some of us got hurt sometimes, but nothing too terrible. Just part of being a kid is how I look at it. We'd jump off the house onto it and have wrestling matches. My friends and I were all in gymnastics so we'd practice our flips and stuff on it. Lots of fun.

i actually had someone tell me"if my kid gets hurt on someones property i am gonna sue them for all i can" well i will tell you... i never had them come swimming again.

i would ask your lawyer about the waiver. it might not be worth any more then the paper it is written on. HOWEVER even if that is the case as long as the people who signed it dont know that then all is good... better to have some protectioon then none. many many people are sue happy now adays

We have 5 kids and we bought ours during BF at Walmart a few years back. We just set rules like no more than two at a time and no horseplay. My husband or I must also be there to keep an eye on them. We have never had any issues with ours. Both my husband and I use it also to workout on, so ours really get a workout.

Check you homeowner's insurance first, I received a cancellation letter from my insurance last year. Their agent had driven down my street and took a picture of my neighbors trampoline and thought it belonged to me. After several phone calls and e-mailing pictures they finally reinstated my policy. They never even apologized for their mistake.

I say they are just as dangerous as a bike or skateboard. Kids break bones, they fall and get hurt. I say make them as safe as possible by getting a net and only allowing one person at a time on it. Put up no trespassing signs, that what my moms insurance told her to do when she got a pool so she wouldnt be liable for people who get in without permission, which has never happened. Make up rules for your kids to follow while on it and what will happen if they dont follow them.

It's nice to know that your agent sneaks around looking at your house, isn't it? I'm surprised you bothered to get your policy reinstated. I wouldn't be thrilled with that company.

Well they were cheaper than the competion however karma works in strange ways they just went out of business here in Texas a couple of months ago. The company was called Texas Select.:D

I had one as a child (my dad was a coach and PE teacher), with no net and the whole game was to try to bounce someone off balance so they would fall. Luckily no killed themselves, although I should have as I often was the one landing between the springs!!! No one worried about getting sued for our boneheadedness.

I brought one last year for my kids (3 toddlers) with the nets at Sports Academy on BF. I say supervision is the key. Usually if the neighbor's kids are over I recommend they do something else.

I would recommend getting the largest one you can find at a good price if flips are goals. Get the netting and always supervise anyone on it. I still climb on ours occasionally and it's still fun and good exercise.

I had one as a child (my dad was a coach and PE teacher), with no net and the whole game was to try to bounce someone off balance so they would fall. Luckily no killed themselves, although I should have as I often was the one landing between the springs!!! No one worried about getting sued for our boneheadedness.

kids still play this ,..it is called playing popcorn.but noone sued 1/2 as much 10 years ago as now. its sad actually.

im greatful i didnt get sued when an adult got hurt on mine.. i let a good friend use my yard for an adult bday party.. so yup alcohol was involved. and a this dumb @$$ drunk was jumping on it with a cable box in his hands and two guys threw this lady on it andher head bounced up as the guys hand bounced down... abd she had a headache for 2 weeks.im glad all went well and the woman didnt attempt to sue.

We bought our kids one three years ago on BF at WalMart. We love it. Both of us and the kids have used it so much. It's fun to go out every once in awhile and pretend to be a kid again!LOL We didn't get the net and our kids are 18, 14, 12, 10, and 8 now. No one has been hurt as of yet except for the occasional scrape from climbing on/off. The two youngest boys 10 and 8, flip on it all of the time, and our daughter 14, has used it many times to practice her jumps for cheerleading as well as just jumping for fun. We don't allow other kids to jump simply because we would be liable, and besides, with our five, other kids would never get a turn!LOL

My daughter Jadyn broke her arm on ours 2 years ago. I was gone with my other daughter to her dance class and Jadyn wanted to stay and play with her cousins. My mil and sil were supposed to be watching them. Both were in the houses as I understand and my sils two daughters and Jadyn were on the trampoline with no adult supervision. Jadyn was in 1st grade as was one of the cousins, a first grader too. The older one was in 4th grade I believe. From what I understand is, the oldest cousin was laying on the trampoline and letting her sister and my daughter sit on her feet and she was kicking them off into the air. But when my daughter went to sit on her feet, she held on to Jadyn's ankles and when she kicked her up into the air, she never let go of her ankles and Jadyn came straigt down on her elbows. The pressure of the landing was too much for her(she only weighed about 37lbs then) and it snapped her upper arm in two. The break was so high(near the arm pit) that they couldn't cast it. she was in a sling for 6 weeks with elastic banding to keep her arm braced against her body. They said they just heard a blood curling scream and ran out to see what happened. I was called on my cell and I drove like a mad woman home! Rushed her to the ER to find out it was a clean break. I had never been so livid!! Where was the supervision??? Sorry...sore subject. End of story...I sold the trampoline a week later.

I had one as a child and I never got hurt too bad... My daughter has one now and she is 6 she loves it and we have taught her to be very careful with it. I do not allow the neighborhood children to come over and jump on it. That is too much of a risk and also the more childrem they are together the braver they seem to get

I loved them growing up but I do think they are risky. At my school when I was little the trampoline was level with the ground with a pit under it, kind of like an in-ground pool. So far as I know no one got hurt. If I ever got a trampoline I think I would do something like that...

I have 4 kids, 15, 12, 7 and 3. We got a large one with a net at the begginning of summer. The injuries we have had, minor sprains and bruises, have all been the teenagers who don't follow the rules! They aren't allowed on it anymore. The younger kids love it and as long as you supervise them and don't let them get too rough or do flips with more than one person on there it isn't any more dangerous than the swing set or the swimming pool I also have in my yard. I always wanted on when I was a kid but our yard wasn't big enough. I broke my foot falling off an unlevel sidewalk! You can get hurt doing anything.

we bought one on bf 2 years ago for $80. My 7 year old has played with it more than anything he has ever gotten. Incident free. Homeowners insurance was a HUGE problem. Our agent works with tons of companies and there are just a few that will cover a home with one. Our insurance went waaay up, until we 'got rid' of it.

AND, my advice, if they do run them this year, is not to mess with the blitz sale. My husband went with me, waited in line for it, then pushed this cart with this SUPER heavy thing through the crowd for over 2 hours. I was trying to find him, but he wouldn't stand still! The bottom fell out of the box, he got it all rounded up, we paid for it, got it home and hid. We went back to walmart 2 weeks later, and they still had them. He STILL gripes!!!!! (oh, and when we put it together christmas eve, 3 of the springs were formed wrong and it took weeks to get more)

we bought one on bf 2 years ago for $80. My 7 year old has played with it more than anything he has ever gotten. Incident free. Homeowners insurance was a HUGE problem. Our agent works with tons of companies and there are just a few that will cover a home with one. Our insurance went waaay up, until we 'got rid' of it.

AND, my advice, if they do run them this year, is not to mess with the blitz sale. My husband went with me, waited in line for it, then pushed this cart with this SUPER heavy thing through the crowd for over 2 hours. I was trying to find him, but he wouldn't stand still! The bottom fell out of the box, he got it all rounded up, we paid for it, got it home and hid. We went back to walmart 2 weeks later, and they still had them. He STILL gripes!!!!! (oh, and when we put it together christmas eve, 3 of the springs were formed wrong and it took weeks to get more)

maybe this depends on where you are located.i got one bf blitz before.. waited in line(for other things to,but sence i was there i knew it was somethign id get..) i was with by sis hubby who had never went shopping on bf.he did well. we got the 2nd to the last one!!!! and there were no nettings left ... they were sold out within 10 min

I loved them growing up but I do think they are risky. At my school when I was little the trampoline was level with the ground with a pit under it, kind of like an in-ground pool. So far as I know no one got hurt. If I ever got a trampoline I think I would do something like that...

That is how we played on them when we were young. I would never let my daughter do it now. Her Godmother's 4 yr old son fell off and broke his leg ( they had the net and his older brother was there supervising him) and I had a client who's son bounced too close to the edge and tried to correct and fell off and broke his neck. He was 11 and also had someone there with him to supervise. So its a no go for mine.....

trampolines are fun however we have had 2 and the second one fell apart with the kids on it! We always supervised and made sure no more than 2 jumping at a time because what we thought would happen (and it did). The first one we were going to move it a 3rd time and decided not to and we were going to recycle the material but a friend begged for it so we gave it to them. It is like a lot of things you put together,,,the more you take apart and put back the flimsier it seems to fit. (the 2nd we only had 2years and never took it apart it fell apart) :eyepoppin Another issue we had, with bad wind we had to always tie it down which meant flipping it over so wind would not take it off and end up in someone's home or ours for that matter.