The "Before The Ads Arrive" BF Sales Rumor Thread

stationchief

Also just to throw in there. I have heard that MS is throwing in coupons for free-discounted upgrades for Vista for any computers purchased starting this month til the end of the year.

Just read that myself. Alot of desktops/laptops this BF are gonna come with one of two coupons for an OS upgrade to Windows Vista in early 2007. Eihter a free upgrade coupon in PCs with Widows Media Center OS, or 50% off upgrade coupon in PCs with XP Home OS.

Pretty exciting news if 'ya ask me. :cheesy:

I think you will have to go a long way to find a laptop that isn't Vista compatible or can't be made compatible easily. I have the $200 laptop from CC last year and it is Vista compatible. My Sony desktop from five years ago will be compatible if I add a 256mb of RAM, same goes for my old Sony laptop. They aren't the higher end models either.

At this point it is just rumor, of course, but I have been doing some searching around and chatting with people, and the current topic of interest is Best Buy... supposedly they may have a Portable DVD Player for $39.99, no rebates, with a limit of 10 per store. I will keep in touch with my sources and see if I can get a confirmation.

Would any of you buy a Laptop that is not Vista compatible?

Q. What is required to run Windows Vista?

A. If you purchased a PC in the last two years, chances are good that you can run Windows Vista. To install and run the core functionality of Windows Vista, you need:

* An 800 MHz processor

* 512 MB of RAM

* A 20 GB hard drive with 15 GB of free space

Advanced features, like the new user experience Windows Aero, require advanced or additional hardware.

Q. What should I consider when purchasing a new PC today to ensure that it can run Windows Vista?

A. If you are buying a new PC before Windows Vista is available, look for the computers designated as Windows Vista Capable or Windows Vista Premium Ready. Learn more about Windows Vista Capable and Premium Ready PCs.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/upgradeadvisor/faq.mspx

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

At this point it is just rumor, of course, but I have been doing some searching around and chatting with people, and the current topic of interest is Best Buy... supposedly they may have a Portable DVD Player for $39.99, no rebates, with a limit of 10 per store. I will keep in touch with my sources and see if I can get a confirmation.

That portable DVD player for $39.99 and a Toshiba laptop for $399.99, both without any rebates, are the hot rumors goin' around right now. No one's bene able to confirm or deny anything yet. G'luck with tryin' to get a confirmation.

That portable DVD player for $39.99 and a Toshiba laptop for $399.99, both without any rebates, are the hot rumors goin' around right now. No one's bene able to confirm or deny anything yet. G'luck with tryin' to get a confirmation.

I have a couple of contacts in the stores, and some on the Geek Squad as well. They've been snooping around for me and hopefully I'll get something back soon.

Aww how good would that be. A portable DVD player and Laptop. How tempting is that but honestly you would only need the laptop to play those dvds.

I'd rather pay $39.99 than $399.99 for something to play DVDs. My dd is 3, and I don't want to put a TV in her room, but I get sick of watching her movies, so this would work for us. HOWEVER, I'd probably never get one at BB - since I avoid that place on BF since the lines are so crazy! I just hope that Walmart/Staples/Radio Shack/Target have a similar deal.

i can not wait for the adds to start comming in.. have to do alot more planning this year since no lay a way at walmart

Yeah I'm kinda surprised we haven't seen any ads yet. Seems to me that the items for the ad have to be already in the warehouses and the actual ads at least in rough draft form somewhere???

I'm rather interested in that $399 BB Toshiba laptop rumor myself. Not just the fact that I'm interested in a new laptop after I sell my WM laptop from last year to my aunt. I'd just like to see what they do with the prices of lower-end laptops this year. My theory is that prices of the less powerful laptops are gonna drop like a rock so they can make room for the so called Vista-ready laptops with 64-bit and dual-core processors.

Well said and I totally agree.

Waiting in line for a few hours just for a free $10 GC? :yuck:

But being first into the store also means being among the first to check out. I don't want to spend two hours in line at the first store, so I'd want to be among the first however many people anyway, at whatever store I went to. Can't hurt to get $10 for waiting when I was going to wait anyway. That was my thinking last year, anyway. This year has yet to be planned....

Anyone got any guesses on what sign-up offers folks like AOL or MSN will offer this BF? Think AOL will risk another meele like the one they caused last year ($250 IR when you sign up for 12 months of broadband AOL, which was worth $180 and almost everyone cancelled early :eyepoppin )?

Since AOL went free for BYOA I'm thinking not to much will come from them. HArd to say but I think they learned a lesoon last year

MAra

It's too early for the ads to be out...

Didn't we start getting the first ones about this time last year? I can't remember. I could have sworn the first ones popped up around when I found out I was pregnant. Oh man try having to pee all the time while waiting in the BF line UGH. Not pregnant now I'll be out in PRIME form WAHOO

Mara

Didn't we start getting the first ones about this time last year? I can't remember. I could have sworn the first ones popped up around when I found out I was pregnant. Oh man try having to pee all the time while waiting in the BF line UGH. Not pregnant now I'll be out in PRIME form WAHOO

Mara

The first ad that was posted was 10/19. That is not far away. I wonder if we are gonna have something around that date this year. Walmart's ad was the first one out.

But being first into the store also means being among the first to check out. I don't want to spend two hours in line at the first store, so I'd want to be among the first however many people anyway, at whatever store I went to. Can't hurt to get $10 for waiting when I was going to wait anyway. That was my thinking last year, anyway. This year has yet to be planned....

Very true. First in, first out.

If you're going to shop there anway, you might as well be first and get a free $10 GC.

I heard on the TV that most of the stores weren't going to have the big ticket items like the years before! None were mentioned specifically. Except for the computer I got for free last year at CC. The deals haven't been that great for the last 2 yrs.

The economy wasn't taking a downturn yet, though. We might see some decent deals.

I couldnt believe people camped out last year for those $10 GC sears was handing out. I think I got a better deal camping out at Walmart instead.

Yea...I heard people camped for this...funny thing is here in my small town we have a sears hardware store and I strolled in there quietly abuot 8 am and got one!