Camera recommendations and deals

Actually, you can put wide-angle and telephoto lenses on the Canon A-series (A610, A620, etc) and the Canon G series. I've got a Canon G5 with tlephoto, wide angle, and a handful of filters. I got my lens adapter and lenses from http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/G5G3.html.

However, as a camera that has the most widely available accessories you'd want to go with a Canon Eos 350D because you can fit any EF lens on it.

I have the Fuji s3100 and it takes extra lenses too--so do the S5100 (4MP 10X optical zoom before you add lenses) and the S5200 (5.1 MP wiith a 10 X optical zoom) both of the 5000 series are less than $250. My S3100 is obsolete LOL

The extra lenses are about $90 on amazon and ebay.

Find out budget, also find out what she will be doing with it specifically (everyday use for taking pics of kiddos, weddings eventually, etc.)??

Dpreview.com is an awesome site. If going for a DSLR, I'd suggest a Nikon D50 which runs about $550 new.

DH had a Nikon D70 (D70 is no longer in production, but a D70s is). He spent around $1200 for the kit from Best Buy in May '04. He just sold it a month or so ago and upgraded to the Nikon D200. But so far we both love Nikon, though I also love Canon (their Powershot line) and Olympus.