Question on current desktop deal

v2006

Save $350 on any Dimension Desktop purchase of $1049 or more

Hi,

First time here

Questions:

Does this mean if my customization exceeds 1049 I get 350 off?

When do I insert the code...go to dell.com-enter code-customize-check out

or enter it at the end.

Thanks

This week's coupon only applies f you are customizing one of these E-Value codes: 6VAFF-DE510SAP, 6VAFF-DE51F2, 6VAFF-DE51F4 (which are only Dimension E510 systems).

You would enter the code in your shopping cart once you have added the system to the cart after configuring.

Which Dell Dimension E510 specs are you looking at?

I'm thinking about one that will be excellent for web development work ie can handle many open applications ie DW, FW, WORD, OE etc with speed and durability.

Will the E510 do this or should I be looking at XPS 200?

Not sure what specs to go with at this stage but open to suggestions.

Thanks

I'm thinking about one that will be excellent for web development work ie can handle many open applications ie DW, FW, WORD, OE etc with speed and durability.

Will the E510 do this or should I be looking at XPS 200?

The E510 is more than sufficient for handling those tasks. Get the minimum RAM and buy elsewhere like newegg or crucial which is considerably cheaper. Upgrading RAM on a desktop is very easy to do and takes all of 5 minutes.

Do you also need a monitor or do you already have a monitor?

Thanks for that tip

I already have a 19in Ultra Sharp but have thought of a dual monitor set up

Perhaps I would just use one of my old CRT monitors.

Do I need to customize the computer to equal $1049 then do I get the $350 off at check out by entering the coupon?

Thanks for that tip

Do I need to customize the computer to equal $1049 then do I get the $350 off at check out by entering the coupon?

Correct and remember $1049 minimum is based on the pre-discount price, not the price in red.

After a little playing around I got the total to be exactly $1,049. Best of all the coupon worked like a charm :)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y241/Honeybee_au/Ross/delle510.jpg

Thanks for that tip

As a fellow Web designer, I would HIGHLY recommend a dual-monitor, or even a tri-monitor setup.

It is extremely helpful to have:

both the "live" version of a Web site on one screen and the "development copy" on the other

-or-

the directions for a script on one screen and be installing it on the other

-or-

the client's e-mail on one screen and do their requested change on the other

-or-

a TV tuner running TV on one screen and work on the other

...you get the idea

I use a laptop as my design computer and have the Dell running as a secondary:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/Marcster2005/Cat%20Pictures/seven-laptop.jpg

Don't mind the cat or the messy cords (I'm replacing this desk shortly and I'll make the cords tidy then). And welcome to Gottadeal!

What would be the minimum machine specs to handle a dual monitor set up? I'd love to have two screens available, for the tv idea above or maybe carry on an IM conversation with the grands on one screen while I search for the information we're talking about on the other screen.

I'm counting pennies trying to stash back enough for a new computer. It's slow going and I'll need as cheeeep as possible...but ohhhh that dual monitor setup sounds gooood!

What would be the minimum machine specs to handle a dual monitor set up? I'd love to have two screens available, for the tv idea above or maybe carry on an IM conversation with the grands on one screen while I search for the information we're talking about on the other screen.

I'm counting pennies trying to stash back enough for a new computer. It's slow going and I'll need as cheeeep as possible...but ohhhh that dual monitor setup sounds gooood!

My notebook has the ATI Mobility Radeon X600 (128 MB of dedicated Ram). Here is a link to the laptop I bought from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A39X6Y/ref=nosim/002-1022308-3994466?n=541966

I don't know of any "real minimum" to run dual monitors. If you are thinking of a tower, you'll need to get a computer with a dual output card or add a video card to it. If you add a card, www.newegg.com has great prices -- you could go with like 64 MB from the Tower's card and another 64 MB from the card you add...

I don't play any "hardcore" 3-D games, just the stuff on www.miniclip.com. And I can watch a DVD or baseball game on one screen and work on the other, no sweat.

If you are doing Web design, consider getting an LCD that rotates to become taller than it is wide. It is really nice for typing e-mails and reading long pages of code w/o scrolling. Unfortunately, my laptop's card doesn't support this feature even though the DELL 1905fp does.