Where don't you shop anymore?

len_mullen

I just noticed that I have not shopped at Shaw's in November.  I used to shop there weekly.  A few minutes ago I deleted another coupon from Bed, Bath & Beyond.  Except for motor oil and Sudafed, I don't shop at Walmart anymore.  I haven't used Amazon's Subscribe and Save since August 6th.  While I placed 91 orders at Amazon in 2023, only eight were in the last three months and 91 is down 44% from the 163 placed in 2022.  My last order on Amazon.com was a month ago -- nothing this Christmas season so far.  I have not bought anything from Kohls since June and I only spent $13.99.  Nothing from Best Buy since June.  This spring I bought a couple 100' patch cables at Staples because I was in a hurry.  Last purchase at Home Depot was 9/5/2023.  I have decided not to purchase Ford vehicles going forward -- I've bought nine since I started driving.  The last one in 2016.  We haven't had cable since 2010.  I haven't paid for local, local long distance, or long distance since 2008.  We are about to fire Verizon.

None of these merchants has gone out of business except BB&B which has reemerged as online only.  I don't boycott.  I have stopped doing business with them because of price, selection, service, and/or rewards programs.  

For most retailers, rewards programs have become less attractive over the last decade.  Most reserve their best offers for new customers.  Some exempt so many items as to render the program worthless.  One, though, has changed the way I shop.

In September of 2021, I bought a Z Grills Wood Pellet Grill and Smoker for $399.99 from Ocean State Job Lot.  It was the same price on Amazon.com.  OSJL included a store credit of $200 with the purchase.  In March of 2023, I purchased an Arcade1up Asteroids partycade from OSJL.  I paid $299.99 for the partycade -- $100 less than it was on Amazon -- and I got a store credit for $299.99.  Since then I have purchased six more partycades under the same terms as well as a projector, an exercise bike, and a carpet cleaner -- all including a store credit equal to the purchase price.  OSJL has a table called 'eat for free' where you get store credit for any items purchased equal to the purchase price.  

At first, I was simply excited to get all the free stuff.  Eventually it occurred to me that the stuff wasn't really free if I did not spend the store credit.  So I studied the store's products and prices.  First casualty was Subscribe and Save.  I found I could purchase the same items at OSJL for the same price as SnS without buying by the case.  Second casualty was non-fresh grocery items.  And then clothes.  And hardware store items.  I used store credit to purchase vinyl plank flooring for my kitchen.  

While my quest for value is relentless, no merchant has disrupted my shopping as much as OSJL since Amazon.

Happy shopping!

PS they sell Christmas trees and decorations, winterizing items, and furniture.

• Like 3

OSJL sounds like a good deal, but they have nothing like that in my neck of the woods 🫤... Idk the last time I've been in a Best Buy to shop as I don't seem to finds good deals with them... The little drugstore chains Walgreens and Rite Aid in particular, don't have appealing deals anymore and they were always staples during BF... I must admit, Amazon is still a big provider of goods for me... I still have Verizon for Wi-Fi and my cell phone...

Wish I had an OSJL near me! Their deals sound awesome. 

I hate how the best deals are for new customers!  Places should appreciate their loyal customers!

As far as don’t stop at anymore… hmmm in general I order a lot more pick ups than going in. But, that’s because life has changed and that works right now. So, if a store doesn’t offer online order for a store pick up out front then I shop less there now. 

7 hours ago, cllehto said:

Isn't Ocean State Job Lots a New England chain? I think you can order online but have to pick it up at a store.

As of today, they have stores in these states...

Connecticut
Maine
Massachusetts
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New York
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
Vermont

Online sales must be picked up at a store and only Insiders can place online orders.  Everything good requires a FREE Insiders membership.

3 hours ago, Kash said:

Wish I had an OSJL near me! Their deals sound awesome. 

I hate how the best deals are for new customers!  Places should appreciate their loyal customers!

As far as don’t stop at anymore… hmmm in general I order a lot more pick ups than going in. But, that’s because life has changed and that works right now. So, if a store doesn’t offer online order for a store pick up out front then I shop less there now. 

Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other gold.

• Like 1