GottaDEAL 2024 Prize Club Discussion Thread

Brad

I'm happy to see the BF forums opened. We lost Mom last week, so Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and especially Christmas are going to be a little weird this year. But I am determined the holidays will be just as special as she always made them.  

Happy BER months everybody!

• Sad 8

1 hour ago, Bopeep said:

I'm happy to see the BF forums opened. We lost Mom last week, so Thanksgiving, Black Friday, and especially Christmas are going to be a little weird this year. But I am determined the holidays will be just as special as she always made them.  

:::HUGS::: My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. 🫂

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Bopeep said:

May her memory be a blessing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bopeep said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. We always had great Christmases because of my mom and after her passing 10 years ago I was determined to keep it up as well. Hugs.

• Like 1

September already... Crazy how fast the time flies.

My cuke vines have been trying to fight the good fight against yet another fungus attack this year. Boo hiss. I've only gotten an average of maybe a cuke and a half per vine this year. Oof. Hoping for better things next year as I continue learning about best practices for my gardening and creative potential helps to keep the darn fungus at bay (or at least further limit its destruction). 

My brussels that have grown from those I did not harvest last year are starting to produce sprouts of their own for harvesting in about a month or so. I'm excited about that since no one really knew what would happen when I told them what the brussels were doing in the spring. Now I know! Fun to know I'll have a decent sprout harvest again here soon. 🙂 

Sorry to hear about your mom, Bopeep. Hugs and prayers for you and yours. Losing mom is rough. 💔

• Like 2

13 hours ago, wittenlover said:

My cuke vines have been trying to fight the good fight against yet another fungus attack this year. Boo hiss. I've only gotten an average of maybe a cuke and a half per vine this year. Oof. Hoping for better things next year as I continue learning about best practices for my gardening and creative potential helps to keep the darn fungus at bay (or at least further limit its destruction). 

My brussels that have grown from those I did not harvest last year are starting to produce sprouts of their own for harvesting in about a month or so. I'm excited about that since no one really knew what would happen when I told them what the brussels were doing in the spring. Now I know! Fun to know I'll have a decent sprout harvest again here soon. 🙂 

Sorry to hear about your mom, Bopeep. Hugs and prayers for you and yours. Losing mom is rough. 💔

How did the rest of the garden do this year?

2 hours ago, Kanyon71 said:

How did the rest of the garden do this year?

Piles of dill, good romaine harvest, good red/green leaf lettuce harvest, spinach was meh but I think that was at least partially my fault (will attempt again next year), celery is doing well and almost ready to harvest. Parsley regrew from last year as well and was beautiful. I eventually let it bolt to get seeds. Good stuff. 🙂 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wittenlover said:

Piles of dill, good romaine harvest, good red/green leaf lettuce harvest, spinach was meh but I think that was at least partially my fault (will attempt again next year), celery is doing well and almost ready to harvest. Parsley regrew from last year as well and was beautiful. I eventually let it bolt to get seeds. Good stuff. 🙂 

Did you grow New Zealand spinach, a specifically summer variety? My understanding is summer is generally too hot for spinach (and romaine, good for you on getting a decent harvest) and should be sown for spring and fall gardens.

4 hours ago, wittenlover said:

Very nice. We grew nothing this year. Moving so hopefully we can do something next year. 

• Like 1

It's Septemberrrrrrrrrrrr!  Boys are back in school, their hockey season is kicking off with a bang, temps are fallllllllling.  This summer I learned that "corn sweat" is real, and makes it seem hotter than it actually is (due to excess humidity from.....sweating corn. for reals, y'all.).  I'm not sure what to do with that info except complain about it, so there you go.  We are SURROUNDED by corn.  

Bopeep I am sorry to hear about your mom, and Gator Pam said it best...I hope the memories you have of her are a blessing on your life.  

I hope anybody that is under the weather starts to feel better soon.  I hear that our clinics are full of pneumonia and covid (and a lot of times it's both) right now.  It's too early for that nonsense.  

I just purchased my first Christmas gifts!  I mean, they are multi-use pens, but they're going in stockings!  It counts!  

• Like 3

On 9/1/2024 at 8:12 PM, bossy1 said:

YES! the ber months and football is about to start..my team will more than likely be meh..but at least its not a show like "housewives of...." September  check in.

meh football team here too.  It's hard to be a diehard fan as bad as our football team has been for the last several years. LOL

On 9/3/2024 at 11:15 AM, Bopeep said:

I'm so very sorry to hear about your mom.  It's hard to carry on holiday traditions after losing your matriarch but my family managed to carry on many of the same traditions my Grandmother held dear for many years after her passing.  I was grateful that we did that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanShotFirst said:

meh football team here too.  It's hard to be a diehard fan as bad as our football team has been for the last several years. LOL

Been a Lions fan my whole. They have shown there’s always hope. 🙂

• Like 1

Checking in for September, boy has this year flown by!    Not much planned for September so it’s probably going to be a big boring this month.  

Bo peep, I’m sorry to hear about your mom. My mom has been gone for almost two and half years now and it’s still hard. She was my Black Friday shopping buddy and fellow Christmas lover. I have tried to keep all her favorite traditions going  too and it helps!  

• Like 1

On 9/3/2024 at 3:50 PM, wittenlover said:

We don't do well with cukes.  We have a community garden plot so don't check them as often as we could, and they seem to have a short life.  Nice that you'll be getting brussels sprouts soon!

• Like 1

Happy September! And just like that, summer is done. Almost time for luge season, the only good thing about the cold and snow. Kendall makes 2 trips to Salt Lake City this upcoming season, to train on the 2034 Winter Olympic track. She has been on this track before, in 2022, when she was on the Development Team, and much smaller than she is now. Excited to see her train on this track again! This month's pic is from her training on that track.

VID_20220304_135537903_exported_20600~2.jpg

• Like 4

On 9/3/2024 at 11:15 AM, Bopeep said:

So sorry to hear about your mom 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, stacya said:

Happy September! And just like that, summer is done. Almost time for luge season, the only good thing about the cold and snow. Kendall makes 2 trips to Salt Lake City this upcoming season, to train on the 2034 Winter Olympic track. She has been on this track before, in 2022, when she was on the Development Team, and much smaller than she is now. Excited to see her train on this track again! This month's pic is from her training on that track.

VID_20220304_135537903_exported_20600~2.jpg

She is just the coolest!  I always love watching the luge during the Winter Olympics!  🇺🇸

• Love 1

On 8/28/2024 at 9:45 PM, Gator Pam said:
🎉 First of the season! 🎉

FC8DE1D8-BE02-4E7F-82D6-E95C5C0A3C23.thumb.jpeg.ebc8af5eddbea3706cfba24fed546b88.jpeg

Tomato harvest has continued since September 3rd with two more Mortgage Lifters. I gave these to a couple of friends, so I didn’t weigh them. They were a bit smaller than the first one.

51500440-884A-4DF9-94CC-C00DDA79B29E.thumb.jpeg.aede3afec3835a32b65e3138a1955bca.jpeg

On September 4th my first San Marzano-style Roma and some Sun Gold cherry tomatoes.came in.

B2A6B0DE-5638-488D-9B1E-3FCDFD516FA2.thumb.jpeg.ac95df321e61962f7e9a91c9005cca0a.jpeg

September 5th saw two more Romas and the first Purple Bumblebee cherry tomatoes.

671FBC4F-FCD3-45C4-BFFF-3CFF7C43B51D.thumb.jpeg.57492c0ec72b7d7f534a0a00951e789b.jpeg

September 6th is when things really started to roll in.

9D718D4C-4186-448C-A975-345D967D2916.thumb.jpeg.b2f9472dad62033af1bf349f4fbcb646.jpeg

Saturday, the 7th was a quiet day harvest wise, but I added two more Mortgage Lifters and several Romas and cherries yesterday.

F7C8DA5E-BF2B-48AE-8060-A9EE12CB09A2.thumb.jpeg.4ae7102bc9f429c38fc822643c32be27.jpeg

The first Mortgage Lifter weighed about a pound and a half:

8B2659CC-C52D-4154-9548-D109D14D6DFE.thumb.jpeg.948724d56f897ae486e33a3c1358aaf8.jpeg

The second weighed about a pound and a quarter.138B622F-D4CD-4065-8CE1-C8C2B7D45574.thumb.jpeg.212a9fc7c45ac510d8d13dc9cc2d20d1.jpeg

The rest of yesterday’s harvest came to just over half a pound.

5FA1ABB2-8639-4769-B073-55975FE9D7E9.thumb.jpeg.3e122de5b8bdfa59b14c4b487ff443e8.jpeg

All told cherry tomatoes totaled about a pound over the five days.

EA1656D1-DFF5-419E-888C-DC09367A9B9E.thumb.jpeg.d3a4021b7baa37bce2962aacad49b32c.jpeg

The Mortgage Lifters and Romas totaled about four and a half pounds over the five days.

BC65F820-2DA3-4D5E-8402-F85E635C7773.thumb.jpeg.4f4010222e4446d8353455972956f183.jpeg

All told five and a half pounds over pretty much my first five days, plus the slightly over a pound Mortgage Lifter in August and the two more I gave away which I didn’t weigh.

Edited by Gator Pam
  • Like 5