Feature Request: Deal Notification by Keyword

Scott

I think this was discussed quite some time ago, but not exactly in this format.

I think it would be great to have a feature where a user could get email alerts when a new deal was posted by keywords. In order to reduce the strain on the server, the following rules could be in place.

-Words must be longer than a certain length, or must have more than one word.

-All words must be present to receive the notification

-Users limited in how many notifications they could have active

-Notification could be set as 1 time event or recurring.

-Possibly disabled during BF activities

Just a thought. I think this would be a very helpful feature, and may pull people back to the site when they receive a notification.

Thoughts?

Is something like this feasible?

I would say it's feasible. As you suggested it would likely have to be disabled while the BF site is running, and considering that the BF site and forums will be open in less than two months, it's something that probably wouldn't happen until early next year.

It's one of those things where we have to decide if enough people will use it to justify the work involved to set it up. For example, on the main site when we added the user customization stuff well over a year ago for changing how things are displayed, etc... so far barely over 100 users have used it out of the thousands of daily visitors we have to the main site. In fact those options will most likely be removed from the next site design just to make things a little more efficient in terms of the coding.

So we'll think about it :)

I would say it's feasible. As you suggested it would likely have to be disabled while the BF site is running, and considering that the BF site and forums will be open in less than two months, it's something that probably wouldn't happen until early next year.

It's one of those things where we have to decide if enough people will use it to justify the work involved to set it up. For example, on the main site when we added the user customization stuff well over a year ago for changing how things are displayed, etc... so far barely over 100 users have used it out of the thousands of daily visitors we have to the main site. In fact those options will most likely be removed from the next site design just to make things a little more efficient in terms of the coding.

I think the big difference is that you have to "visit" to take advantage of that feature. And really, you have to visit often to want to take advantage. I personally don't use it, because it isn't that difficult for me to use the search feature instead. With the email notifications, you may bring back some people who visited and then took a break.

You could even possibly check the requests and see if you could find matching deals. Kind of a giving the customer what they want approach. I'm not sure if this is completely feasible though.

Guest Frieked

Heh, I don't even look at the main site anymore... I've got a bookmark that goes directly to the forums new posts search.

I think that's a great idea.

I also don't customize really, just haven't taken the time to explore everything yet. However, if I were in the market for something specific, (and I figured out how to do this), I definately would love getting alerts.