Does anyone have a countertop ice maker on their list?

premiumchip

• 2 weeks later...

I've had one for a few years now. Our fridge isn't hooked up to water (and our water is so bad the ice maker would be long coroded and not working anyway) and there's really nowhere inside for ice trays. So the ice maker has really worked well for us. Ours is a Hamilton Beach from Walmart.  One gallon of water will fill our ice bin, but it takes pretty much all day.  

I bought a “cheap” ( none are) one on ebay a few years back. It works fine but we only use it intermittently. I think they are basically similar- fill bottom tank with water, little metal freezing prongs dip into water that goes up into the top and when the cup shaped cubes are frozen they dump  into a tray. The tray and machine is not a refrigerator, so you have to dump the cubes into your freezer when its full. We even take it in the camper sometimes. Pretty convenient and quiet. Every one I have seen is similar. I think you can get a usable machine for under $100.

how much ice can it make at a time

I think ours makes about 2 cups into the tray ( maybe takes an hour? Never timed it) but as long as you keep emptying ice when it is full and you keep the water full, it will run all day. Edit to add -the tank holds at least 3 trays worth of water

Edited by packratfamily

My husband won this one -

Igloo ICEB26HNBK Automatic Self-Cleaning Portable Electric Countertop Ice Maker Machine With Handle

and its good. The problem is that you have to keep emptying it because the ice melts.It would be good for a party. But I run it once a week and make ice to last all week