Need wireless components

Hello!

I bought a computer at work today, for FIFTY bucks (lightly used at one of the dealerships, I work at Kawasaki corporate) came with a flat panel monitor. So, it was a great deal. However, it is for my son whose room is upstairs (my computer is downstairs, I have a cable modem). The IT guy at work told me I need the following things: A wireless router, USB wireless adapter, and a Cat 5E. Once I have these things, my son can start using his computer.

I know I can walk into Best Buy (yuk) and just request these things, but my first thought was to post here and see where the best place is to get this stuff. My boss is going to come over and install it all for me once I have these components. I admit to being completely ignorant about the whole wireless thing, and don't want to get ripped off at Best Buy.

I was just going to call my cable company and have them hook up a cable modem in his room, but my IT guy said that it would be cheaper in the long run for me to just get this stuff.

Can any of you experts help me?

Thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up buying the Linksys- both components cost me about a hundred dollars, but my boy now has a computer and wireless internet in his room for 150.00!!:D

AND - I installed it all AND IT WORKS- I am very proud of myself.

Now he will leave my computer alone, and my other son can use his psp in the house. I am one happy camper.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

I ended up buying the Linksys- both components cost me about a hundred dollars, but my boy now has a computer and wireless internet in his room for 150.00!!:D

AND - I installed it all AND IT WORKS- I am very proud of myself.

Now he will leave my computer alone, and my other son can use his psp in the house. I am one happy camper.

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!

Congrats!

Glad it all worked out for you.

You may want to take some time to secure that wireless internet connection so that others can't access it.

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wireless_secure.htm

Enjoy your new network, the possibilities are endless.

:)