Iphone

landcbrewer

Can you apply the gift card towards the purchase of the phone? I have done this at Best Buy before. That way it makes your monthly payment cheaper.

No. Phone has to be activated before the gift card becomes valid. It is like that everywhere. You sure what you used at Best Buy wasn't a gift card for a trade in?

anyone know if new activation is required.. or can this be used as an upgrade?

i have a few phones out of contract (paid off), that i want to replace

most other sites list new line activation required, but the walmart deal doesnt seem to specify that.

Read the fine print

Offer and prices good November 22–25, 2018. Activation must take place by November 25, 2018. Gift Card valid on future purchases. Gift card offer good upon phone activation with an AT&T Next, Sprint or Verizon device payment plan. Offer may not be combined with any other discounts or offers. ** Limited quantities. Products, carriers, coverage, and colors may vary by store. Number of financed devices per account limitations may apply. See Walmart Associate for $0 down and offer details. 1 AT&T Next®: $0 DOWN: Req.’s well-qual. credit. For smartphones only. Tax on sales price due at sale. Req’s AT&T Next or AT&T Next Every Year installment agmt. Divides sales price into monthly installments. Limit as low as 1 smartphone at $0 down. Service: Eligible postpaid voice and data service (minimum $50 per month after AutoPay and Paperless billing discount for new customers. Pay $60 per month until discount starts within 2 bills. Existing customers can add to eligible current plans which may be less) is required and extra. If svc is cancelled, remaining installment agmt balance is due. Activ./Upgrade Fee: up to $45/line. Restocking Fee: Up to $45. Limits: Eligibility, device, line and financing limits & other restr’s apply. Details at att.com/next. GEN. WIRELESS: Subj. to Wireless Customer Agmt at att.com/wca. Svc not for resale. Deposit: Service deposit may apply. Limits: Purchase & line limits apply. Credit approval, activation (up to $45/line) and other fees, monthly & other charges per line apply. See plan details & att.com/additional charges for more details. Coverage & svc not avail. everywhere. You get an off-net (roaming) usage allowance for each svc. If you exceed the allowance, your svc(s) may be restricted or terminated. International and domestic off-net data may be at 2G speeds. Other restr’s apply & may result in svc termination. AT&T svc is subject to AT&T network management policies, see att.com/broadbandinfo for details. Offers, pricing, terms & restrictions subject to change and may be discontinued at any time without notice. 2 Requires activation on qualified Sprint rate plan. Activation Fee applies. Coverage may vary and is not available everywhere. 3 Verizon Device Payment: Subject to VZW Agmts, Calling Plan & credit approval. Offers & coverage, varying by svc., not available everywhere. Activation fees apply. See vzw.com. ©2018 Verizon Wireless. $0 down for qualified customers with device payment plan.

Attached picture below.

First part says you must Activate it by Nov 25 and it MUST be by one of the carriers with a Device Payment Plan.

it also mentions an Activation/UPGRADE fee does apply

iphone.png

I don't see where it requires a new line, I too want to upgrade. 
I'm more concerned about "gotchas" that I might need to watch out for.
And if I don't like it, is the 14 day return still available  and what might it cost?
I know Vzw requires a $50(?) restocking fee...  

I just got home from my local Walmart after talking to a associate there as I wanted to get the iPhone XS Max, they dont even have any of those at any of the 3 local stores. So make sure your store has the one you want before you go and waste your time.

This was my experience too - we didn't get any iPhones is what I was told.  Guess I'll try Target later today to see if I can get one.