Black Friday 2018 Countdown & Anticipation Thread

Brad

I just said something similar over on Discord, but I would like to know the financial ramifications to the company of letting the ads be leaked. I feel like they wasted money having their lawyers draw up the letter.

• Like 1

I just said something similar over on Discord, but I would like to know the financial ramifications to the company of letting the ads be leaked. I feel like they wasted money having their lawyers draw up the letter.

Truthfully, the letter takes no time to draft. It's a pretty generic letter, they use the same format, they probably send it to multiple sites, so it takes very little effort, in the overall view of their legal expenses. A junior associate probably charged $500/hour for 1-2 hours of work. 

• Like 1

Truthfully, the letter takes no time to draft. It's a pretty generic letter, they use the same format, they probably send it to multiple sites, so it takes very little effort, in the overall view of their legal expenses. A junior associate probably charged $500/hour for 1-2 hours of work. 

I so should have followed my thoughts and become a lawyer. $500 an hour would rock. :)

I was about to go to school for contractual law and decided IT fit me more. Silly person I am lol.

• Like 4

I so should have followed my thoughts and become a lawyer. $500 an hour would rock. :)

I was about to go to school for contractual law and decided IT fit me more. Silly person I am lol.

Nah the industry isn't the same. The $500 doesn't go to you, it goes to the firm. Wal-Mart doesn't hire a local one person firm to do this type of work - they have a big boy on retainer. Even though Jr. Associates at big firms make quite a bit, you have to consider:

1. Their debt load is probably pushing 200k

2. Their quality of life is awful - billing expectations of 2000 hours per year, which means you're probably actually working 2500+. If you don't hit the numbers, you're gone.

3. Burnout is real.

Most people I knew lasted 2-3 years, or hopefully just enough to pay off their loans.

I don't recommend law school to most people, unless you can go for free to a big name school. And the next kid that tells me that "law school will provide them security" I want to sit them down and go "oh child, let's tell you some stories."

• Like 1

Oh I know how it can be, my father had a law degree and in the end we ended up owning pawn shops because it made more. I was looking at contractual law (technology) or possibly sports law to work in that business. I decided tech was just a better field for me and I was able to dive right in without all the debt load of it. I REALLY wanted to be an architect and design houses and buildings but once again tech was just an easier path for me.

• Like 1