GottaDEAL 2018 Black Friday T-Shirt Club Posting Thread

Brad

I ended up picking up the Amazon Echo's dot's from one of the BF sales. I picked up 3 of them though my wife only know's of 2. I figured I would wrap one up and give it to her. She likes to play music and that would probably make it an easy sell for her. :)

• Like 1

I ended up picking up the Amazon Echo's dot's from one of the BF sales. I picked up 3 of them though my wife only know's of 2. I figured I would wrap one up and give it to her. She likes to play music and that would probably make it an easy sell for her. :)

Do the echo dots have the same functionality as the echo? I just can't understand why anyone would spend extra on the echo, if the dots do exactly the same thing...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GottaDEAL mobile app

Do the echo dots have the same functionality as the echo? I just can't understand why anyone would spend extra on the echo, if the dots do exactly the same thing...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using GottaDEAL mobile app

From what I've read the speakers and microphones on the bigger one are better. I'm not sure how much use we will get out of it for me to justify getting the bigger one. I haven't taken a dot out of the box but they live up to their name, I didn't expect the box to be as small as it is based on the pictures of it. :)

• Like 1

I have both and love them. Got the echo when it first released and dot in the office. Can't tell you how many times they have helped me find my phone, lol. Also they keep my shopping list.

No difference on the dot from the echo, just smaller.

I got dots for my non-tech parents house and they are loving the music and audio book features as well. The calling and drop in is awesome as well.

• Like 1

Happy December 1st... does anyone else buy too much on Black Friday? You know, just in case you might need it? I now have 3 air fryers, 2 printers, 2 Pioneer Woman gadget sets and the list goes on. Might return a couple things today. ;-)

3 air fryers??   That's hilarious.  I'm about to but another Echo Dot while they are still $30.   :)

And I really wanted (not at all needed) that Pioneer Woman gadget set from Walmart but for the first time in many years, I did not go there on Thursday.  

• Like 1

I have 3 they are in each bedroom and are loud

Just make sure you program each one with a different name or you will talk to one and all 3 respond

Sent from my iPhone using GottaDEAL

Thanks, will remember that if we end up with more of them. I was thinking about ordering a couple more while they are at the cheaper price.

• Like 1

So tomorrow night is our annual work holiday party. I mentioned in my comments on the BF haul discussion that I grabbed a work party-suitable dress from Torrid for $5 on clearance. Guess what's being worn tomorrow night? lol Fun times. 

December is my huge baking month (Christmas gifts!). I usually have to start the weekend of the party but, because of how Christmas falls this year, I get a reprieve this weekend. I'll be going gangbusters starting about Wednesday this coming week, with the first shipments going out no later than the 12th. I do the baking in two big waves over about 2 weeks. When all is said and done, I've lost count of how many cookies I crank out. All I know is it's well over 100 dozen (maybe I'll actually try to keep track this year for curiosity's sake) divided among at least 7 different kinds. Add to that at least 5 batches of fudge, 4 pans of brownies, and at least 3 loaves of pumpkin bread and you get one exhausted baker who checks off another Christmas labor of love for many dear friends. :)

• Like 2

I'm going to make my first attempt at chocolate covered cherries this weekend.  They take 2 weeks to set up and get gooey inside.  Wish me luck!

I expect 1) a review, 2) a recipe, and 3) a picture.  Bon chance mon ami!

thanks for that list len!  I never thought about asking Alexa for phone numbers!  LOL  

You are welcome.  I learn new features every week.  This morning, I uploaded some pictures to Prime and set my background to cycle through these (also for my mother).

• Like 2

Merry Christmas everyone.  We had a robust conversation about home automation in the BF Discussions which touched on some of the uses of some of the Amazon Echo devices.  I have been smitten with the Amazon show.  More important, my MOTHER has been smitten by the show.  My mother is nearly 80 years old and has managed to avoid technology for nearly a century.  I have installed computers which boot to social media.  I disguised a tablet as an electronic picture frame which jumped into social media at a touch of the screen.  To date, I have had no success at all.

A few months back, I invited my mother to dinner.  She sat at the kitchen table as I prepared the meal and became curiouser and curiouser as I went about my business setting timers, asking for quantity conversions, and adding things to my grocery list.  Then I asked Alexa to play a radio station and she had to ask what this thing was.  

Since then, Alexa has added calling and 'drop in' features and, after using these myself, I have decided to put a show in my mother's kitchen.  I was very fortunate to get one from QVC for $155 the week of BF (which included a smart outlet and a couple free subscriptions).  Now I am compiling a list of 'skills' my mother might find useful.  I'll laminate the list and tuck it under the show.  Here is what I have so far.  Please feel free to add suggestions as a reply to this message or via PM...

Communication...

• Alexa call [name of echo device]
  • Alexa answer
  • Alexa ignore
  • Alexa hangup

Timers

• Alexa set a timer for ten minutes
  • Alexa set a turkey timer for 90 minutes
  • Alexa show timers 
  • Alexa how much time is left on my turkey timer
  • Alexa cancel my turkey timer
  • Alexa stop

Alarms

• Alexa set an alarm for 5:45pm
  • Alexa cancel alarm
  • Alexa set an alarm for 6:00am weekdays
  • Alexa cancel weekdays alarm at 6:00am
  • Alexa set an alarm for 10:00am weekends
  • Alexa cancel weekends alarm at 10:00am
  • Alexa set an alarm for everyday at 9:00am
  • Alexa cancel alarm for everyday at 8:00am
  • Alexa show alarms
  • Alexa stop

Kitchen Help

• Alexa how many teaspoons in a table spoon
  • Alexa show me a recipe for hard boiled eggs

Music

• Alexa play my Christmas list
  • Alexa play my 50s list
  • Alexa shuffle
  • Alexa turn off shuffle
  • Alexa play [call letters of radio station]
  • Alexa louder
  • Alexa softer
  • Alexa stop

Useful

• Alexa what is the weather for today
  • Alexa what is the seven day forecast
  • Alexa what time is it
  • Alexa what day of the week does Christmas fall on
  • Alexa how many days until Jan. 20, 2021
  • Alexa what is the phone number for Home Depot

Fun

• Alexa what happened on this day
  • Alexa whose birthday is it
  • Alexa what is in the news
  • Alexa tell me about [anything]
  • Alexa show photos

Merry Christmas!

I have to admit I completely ignored this device as I thought it would be something I would never use.  After reading this, though, I think I will do some research and read the home automation thread,  Thanks!

• Like 1

So tomorrow night is our annual work holiday party. I mentioned in my comments on the BF haul discussion that I grabbed a work party-suitable dress from Torrid for $5 on clearance. Guess what's being worn tomorrow night? lol Fun times. 

December is my huge baking month (Christmas gifts!). I usually have to start the weekend of the party but, because of how Christmas falls this year, I get a reprieve this weekend. I'll be going gangbusters starting about Wednesday this coming week, with the first shipments going out no later than the 12th. I do the baking in two big waves over about 2 weeks. When all is said and done, I've lost count of how many cookies I crank out. All I know is it's well over 100 dozen (maybe I'll actually try to keep track this year for curiosity's sake) divided among at least 7 different kinds. Add to that at least 5 batches of fudge, 4 pans of brownies, and at least 3 loaves of pumpkin bread and you get one exhausted baker who checks off another Christmas labor of love for many dear friends. :)

Hmmm what types of cookies? I may need to send you an address for delivery of them. :sidesplit

• Like 2

Merry Christmas everyone. We had a robust conversation about home automation in the BF Discussions which touched on some of the uses of some of the Amazon Echo devices. I have been smitten with the Amazon show. More important, my MOTHER has been smitten by the show. My mother is nearly 80 years old and has managed to avoid technology for nearly a century. I have installed computers which boot to social media. I disguised a tablet as an electronic picture frame which jumped into social media at a touch of the screen. To date, I have had no success at all.

A few months back, I invited my mother to dinner. She sat at the kitchen table as I prepared the meal and became curiouser and curiouser as I went about my business setting timers, asking for quantity conversions, and adding things to my grocery list. Then I asked Alexa to play a radio station and she had to ask what this thing was.

Since then, Alexa has added calling and 'drop in' features and, after using these myself, I have decided to put a show in my mother's kitchen. I was very fortunate to get one from QVC for $155 the week of BF (which included a smart outlet and a couple free subscriptions). Now I am compiling a list of 'skills' my mother might find useful. I'll laminate the list and tuck it under the show. Here is what I have so far. Please feel free to add suggestions as a reply to this message or via PM...

Communication...

• Alexa call [name of echo device]
  • Alexa answer
  • Alexa ignore
  • Alexa hangup
Timers
  • Alexa set a timer for ten minutes
  • Alexa set a turkey timer for 90 minutes
  • Alexa show timers
  • Alexa how much time is left on my turkey timer
  • Alexa cancel my turkey timer
  • Alexa stop
Alarms
  • Alexa set an alarm for 5:45pm
  • Alexa cancel alarm
  • Alexa set an alarm for 6:00am weekdays
  • Alexa cancel weekdays alarm at 6:00am
  • Alexa set an alarm for 10:00am weekends
  • Alexa cancel weekends alarm at 10:00am
  • Alexa set an alarm for everyday at 9:00am
  • Alexa cancel alarm for everyday at 8:00am
  • Alexa show alarms
  • Alexa stop
Kitchen Help
  • Alexa how many teaspoons in a table spoon
  • Alexa show me a recipe for hard boiled eggs
Music
  • Alexa play my Christmas list
  • Alexa play my 50s list
  • Alexa shuffle
  • Alexa turn off shuffle
  • Alexa play [call letters of radio station]
  • Alexa louder
  • Alexa softer
  • Alexa stop
Useful
  • Alexa what is the weather for today
  • Alexa what is the seven day forecast
  • Alexa what time is it
  • Alexa what day of the week does Christmas fall on
  • Alexa how many days until Jan. 20, 2021
  • Alexa what is the phone number for Home Depot
Fun
  • Alexa what happened on this day
  • Alexa whose birthday is it
  • Alexa what is in the news
  • Alexa tell me about [anything]
  • Alexa show photos
Merry Christmas!
Thanks for the laminated card idea.... I am going to have to implement that at my moms!
  • Like 1

Happy December, everyone!!!

I am still being greeted by a pile of packages on my front porch each day when I get home from work. Anyone else?

Have to make a run to the recycling center this weekend, boxes won't fit in my bin.

Still not clear why they ship in ginormous boxes for a tiny item. Would love to tour a shipment center one day and see how that logic works.

Have to make a run to the recycling center this weekend, boxes won't fit in my bin.

Still not clear why they ship in ginormous boxes for a tiny item. Would love to tour a shipment center one day and see how that logic works.

I would rather one thing in big boxes then the white bags they try to stuff everything and things gets smashed :(