Can we establish some basic rules about spoilers?

outnumbered

I don't care whether or not they wind up allowed, I just want to know before opening a thread if I'm going to read something in it that I don't want to. Even in a thread specifically stating "no spoilers" I'm still reading comments implying something about results...in the AI thread the conversation wanders between discussing the show in general to discussing minute-by-minute happenings of the show as it airs on the east coast (which obviously isn't an issue for me personally, I would just think it might be for those not in eastern/central time zones)...you just never seem to know anymore whether you're going to read a comment that gives something away anymore. It'd be a lot easier if people either simply didn't post spoilers, or if they only did so in a thread called "SPOILER: [insert tv show here]" or whatever.

Just my rant of the day... :rant:;)

Personally, I enjoy discussing shows here, and like say AI, it was fun to talk about last night, but this morning I don't remember much (and that's when I'd have to talk about it because I'm not staying up until 1am just to talk about a TV show). If the thread is clearly about a show one knows they'll be watching later, why open the thread? But yes..some rules would be good.

Guest outrbanx

I don't care whether or not they wind up allowed, I just want to know before opening a thread if I'm going to read something in it that I don't want to. Even in a thread specifically stating "no spoilers" I'm still reading comments implying something about results...in the AI thread the conversation wanders between discussing the show in general to discussing minute-by-minute happenings of the show as it airs on the east coast (which obviously isn't an issue for me personally, I would just think it might be for those not in eastern/central time zones)...you just never seem to know anymore whether you're going to read a comment that gives something away anymore. It'd be a lot easier if people either simply didn't post spoilers, or if they only did so in a thread called "SPOILER: [insert tv show here]" or whatever.

Just my rant of the day... :rant:;)

I apologize if I have spoiled also.

I also agree with Rossman.

But at the same time, and with due respect to the OP finding out results she did not want to know - I have to ask. If the results show has aired and you have not yet watched it, why would you not avoid a thread directly related to it?

I have not yet seen Survivor from this past Thursday. As such, I purposely avoid any "Survivor" discussion since it may very well reveal something I don't want to know. Just seems obvious to me. :confused:

With that said, I will do as Rossman suggests and only post results in threads appropriately titled with a spoiler disclaimer.

But at the same time, and with due respect to the OP finding out results she did not want to know - I have to ask. If the results show has aired and you have not yet watched it, why would you not avoid a thread directly related to it?

I have not yet seen Survivor from this past Thursday. As such, I purposely avoid any "Survivor" discussion since it may very well reveal something I don't want to know. Just seems obvious to me. :confused:

With that said, I will do as Rossman suggests and only post results in threads appropriately titled with a spoiler disclaimer.

Yeah, what Cassie said!LOL

Guest outrbanx

Before this descends into becoming a whining and yelling thread, I didn't intend to come off mean-spirited.

I was probably the "main spoiler" in the AI thread during the live airing of the results show and I just don't feel as though I should be held completely accountable for someone elses lack of good judgement.

I will, of course, follow Ross' rules, but wanted my opinion out there as well. It only seems fair, that's all.

I didn't find out results I didn't want to know. I am in central time right now and watch tv as it airs on the east coast. So when people are discussing American Idol or Survivor as it airs, it doesn't tell me anything I'm not already watching. But it's rude to the people on the west coast/in other time zones. It's just common internet etiquette in general to not give things away the night they're airing. Also, it annoyed me to see that in the Sasha Cohen thread, after Brad specifically said not to post any spoilers, people were making comments about Sasha getting a silver medal. Even comments like "I know who won, but I want to see why," followed by "I take it Sasha didn't win, then" etc. implied something about the results, BEFORE the skating had even aired on the east coast/central time zones. The comments about her winning the silver were on there before it'd aired in other time zones. I lived my whole life in CA before moving out here 4 yrs ago and it would infuriate me when people did things like that. So my posting that wasn't because I myself had been horribly inconvenienced, I was just annoyed that people seem to have less and less consideration for people on the other side of the country. I doubt these same posters would be thrilled if we had a bunch of British posters spoiling shows for us (assuming we all watched the same tv shows, etc)...

Anyway...yeah, I tend to avoid American Idol threads before I've watched the show. But the Sasha Cohen thread was just general discussion about her. There were pages of posts debating her skating ability and talking about how figure skating is judged. It wasn't obvious from all the previous posting that it would turn into a results spoiler. It would have been totally possible for someone to have wanted to read people's opinion of her in general, and clicked on the thread, before seeing the Olympics...since that is what the conversation had been.

But again, overall, it's just commonplace to say "[show name]: Spoilers inside" or whatever if you're discussing show results. If that isn't what people want to do here--fine, discuss results inside threads that are just general discussions about the show...but let it be known that's the policy here at GD so people who frequent other messageboards where the term "spoiler" is always posted can at least be warned that policy isn't in effect here.

And this was just a suggestion, anyway...not me laying down the law or anything. ;)

Before this descends into becoming a whining and yelling thread, I didn't intend to come off mean-spirited.

I was probably the "main spoiler" in the AI thread during the live airing of the results show and I just don't feel as though I should be held completely accountable for someone elses lack of good judgement.

I will, of course, follow Ross' rules, but wanted my opinion out there as well. It only seems fair, that's all.

Uh...I hope you don't mean you think I'm going to whine and yell. That's not my style and I don't do that here. I'd hate to think a suggestion of mine is coming off as whining.

I wasn't singling you out, though. The Sasha Cohen thread bothered me more than the AI thread, but I figured since it was happening multiple places it'd be nice to just know what protocol was supposed to be. Then I could either have things my way, and shut up...or know things were not going to be my way, and shut up...but either way, I'd be shutting up. ;)

Guest outrbanx

But again, overall, it's just commonplace to say "[show name]: Spoilers inside" or whatever if you're discussing show results. If that isn't what people want to do here--fine, discuss results inside threads that are just general discussions about the show...but let it be known that's the policy here at GD so people who frequent other messageboards where the term "spoiler" is always posted can at least be warned that policy isn't in effect here.

And this was just a suggestion, anyway...not me laying down the law or anything. ;)

Now that I am aware of the policy on this forum (via Rossman), certainly I will adhere to it. I have absolutely no problem with that.

My comments were solely regarding the American Idol thread - since that was brought up in your orignal post and I was part of it. Specifically, in a situation where a user does not know if a "Spoiler Policy" is on place on a particular forum, in my opinion, common sense should be exercised by that person.