Eddie Bauer High Back Booster

bovichtj

Hello, my son has outgrown his car seat, and I am looking for the best price on a Cosco Eddie Bauer High Back Booster seat. I am not too concerned with pattern. The best I have seen is $59.99 at Amazon, plus a $10 coupon on car seats over $40. Any other suggestions? I wold also make an in-store purchase if I can find it cheaper.

Thanks,

Joanne

edited for spelling correction :)

I know you are thinking that for the price of the EB it is a good deal but trust me it isn't. I bought one for my son when he turned 1 yr. for an adjustable transition seat from the infant seat to the booster. And we have had nothing but trouble with the padding or lack there of since the seat was purchased. My son has had actual bruises from the thin cover and lack of padding on the seat. We have to place a pillow at the bottom of the seat on his lower back if we are traveling over 30 minutes from home.

I wish it was. I read the reviews also and looked over all of the seats and thought it was the best for the money but it isn't. I thought with the comapny backing that for sure it would be one of the best seats out there aside from those britax(sp?) ones and boy was I wrong. When I took ds out of his seat and he said his back hurt I thought he's ok just tired from riding, I rubbed it and went on only to find out when I undressed him he had bruises on his spine. I almost cried. I wish I had someone tell me this upfront to save me the heartache and to save him from hurting like he was.

We *just* got home from trying out boosters! Our favorite was the Graco CarGo .. it's cushy and the straps are comfortable on my daughter. The only negative thing I read about it was that the belt positioners on the side arent' the greatest which doesn't really bother me since we'll be getting a turbo booster by the time my oldest is ready for a BPB. We also like the Evenflo Chase except that the strap adjustment is on the actual strap instead of on the front of the seat, which was just weird and I have a feeling that my daughter would figure it out!

This is my favorite place for car seat info! The women here are super helpful and have lots of good advice, most are child safety techs.

Car Seat Message Board

The strap adjuster on the Evenflo is actually harder to figure out than traditional strap adjusters.

And stay away from Cosco/Eddie Bauer/Safety 1st(all the same company) carseats. They is very little padding on them, and if you are looking for a combination seat(harnessed seat now, booster later) the top strap slots are very low, so if you have a child with a tall torso, it won't fit with the harness for long.

Graco and Evenflo make combination seats with high top harness slots. If you are looking for just a booster seat(if you're child is over 40lbs) then look at the Graco Turbo booster. Toys r Us even has a Rescue Heroes(or hotwheels, can't remember) pattern.

I went to TRU today to look at seats... the newer Eddie Bauer has "deluxe padding" but it didn't look convincing, and the armrests looked flimsy. I liked the Graco Ultra something-or-other... looked comfy and sturdy at the same time.

My 2 older daughters have the Graco turbo backless boosters, and we LOVE them :) My son is only 2, but 35 lbs and 33"... he needs the harness. I guess I will start price-shopping on the Graco Ultra Car-Go now... It's $79.99 at TRU, plus they have the $10 in-store coupon right now.

Thanks for all the advice!

Joanne

Just one more quick word about the Graco CarGo models .. the Ultra and Cherished are good models .. the Platinum is the one you want to stay away from .. not quite sure why, but my CPS tech friends said to and it's the most expensive anyway! Let us know what you find! I'm looking for my almost 2 yr to move her in to that when the baby outgrows the infant seat! I'll let you know if I find any specticular deals! A couple of months ago smartbargains had an Ultra for $50! I knew I should have gotten it then, but it was right after Christmas and I wanted to wait until she needed it so we'd be able to use it longer!

Okay, I've been researching seats for a bit. That ivillage message board was interesting! Those people really know their stuff.

Can you explain what it means that the Graco Cherished is "front-adjusting"? How does that work? And is the Ultra Cargo a "read adjusting"?

It seems that the Cherished is only available at Wal Mart :( Is it worth the $20 upgrade from the Ultra Cargo??? ($10 price difference + $10 TRU coupon)

Thanks,

Joanne

Okay, I've been researching seats for a bit. That ivillage message board was interesting! Those people really know their stuff.

Can you explain what it means that the Graco Cherished is "front-adjusting"? How does that work? And is the Ultra Cargo a "read adjusting"?

It seems that the Cherished is only available at Wal Mart :( Is it worth the $20 upgrade from the Ultra Cargo??? ($10 price difference + $10 TRU coupon)

Thanks,

Joanne

The Cherished is a front-adjusting as is the Ultra Cargo ... the Treasured CarGo is rear-adjusting and is a PIA .. my MIL got this as a spare seat for her car and hates it! I haven't seen a rear-adjusting Ultra .. For the $20 difference I'd stay with the Ultra .. plus TRU is great to deal with the seats .. I love the fact that you actually pull them down and let the kids "pick" out their own seat! Plus can try them out in your car before buying them! When we were shopping for convertible seats I was in there 3 times trying out seats, once in my car, once in DH's truck and in the minivan I was buying in a few months!

Here's the links to the different seats from Graco's site:

Treasured CarGo -- Rear-adjusting, you can tell because there's no strap on the lower front of the seat! :(

Cherished CarGo -- Front-adjusting ..

Ultra CarGo -- Front-adjusting .. most cushy!

Platinum CarGo -- Front-adjusting .. this is the one that I've *heard* isn't worth the money .. it's basically the Ultra with an extra cupholder .. but I haven't really seen it to tell

The one thing I like about Graco is that all their seats have EPS foam, the same foam that's in helmets. Each model seat can range in price with different "options" like cupholders, pillows ect. If you're in the car alot it might be worth the extra cushioning or pillows since using aftermarket or regular pillows is not reccommended since they don't test seats with this stuff and can reduce the safety of the seat.

I sound like I work for them .. I don't, I swear! ;) I just love their seats and other stuff too! We have 2 strollers, a swing and pack and play ..

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_5/601-6753794-9965734?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0002D1FKO

This is the car seats we just got for our two kids. It is the Evenflo Big Kid Honeycomb convertible carseat. My kids love it! We just used them on a trip to Flrorida and my kids did not complain about sore butts or uncomfy seats. Plus it has reading lights and 2 cup & snack holders, that was cool for them! My oldest son likes that we can take off the high back part for daily driving, but put it back on for trips so he can use the headrests to seep. My youngest likes that the arm rests fold up so he can buckle easier, then put the arm rests down.

http://www.shop.com/op/~Graco_CarGo_5_Pt_Harness_Booster_Car_Seat_8490SYT-prod-12553825

Shop.com/Smartbargains.com has the Graco Cargo Ultra for $59.99 but there is an additional $15 shipping charge... that just makes the price average. Looks like the TRU $79.99 less $10 coupon is the best deal around right now...

It was interesting searching on this. There are a LOT of Cargo boosters like the Treasured that don't have the front adjusters... and once I figured out what that was (thanks!!!) I couldn't imagine purchasing anything w/o it :)

Sounds like a trip to TRU is on the horizon. Thanks everybody for the info! I feel like an informed shopper right now :D

Joanne