Black Friday and the Psychological Factor

nhughes

I simply don't go anymore to the stores that draw the crowds and the campers.  Stores like Best Buy, Target, Wal-mart, etc. are off my list these days, unless I can get it online.  Otherwise, I just go to the secondary stores, where the crowds are manageable and there's plenty of stock of the things I want.  The crowds and lines just aren't worth it at the big stores anymore. 

• 2 weeks later...

Kill em with kindness!

If only i had that instinct, I'm the kind to ignore as much as possible. One year i got a little feisty after some elderly lady line jumped AND Target line security let her because she just had a couple of things. I ALSO had a couple of things and had spent 10-15 min in line for a handful of blurays. NM the parents with screaming kids behind me with the princess doll sets etc. They should open a separate line or make EVERYONE go through the ridiculous line that traipses several aisles.

When I go out on BF I try to have fun with it. I usually wear my BF Gottadeal.com t-shirt, my headband with antlers, and I make sure I have a pocket full of mini candy canes to share with my fellow shoppers and the cashiers. Most of the time, folks are very nice. The only time I have ever personally had an issue was when there was a crowd surge behind me, and I was sent head first into a huge box. That wasn't any one persons fault, and I just laughed my way through it. I have seen a few really nasty interactions on BF, but they are not the norm. Interestingly enough, they were all at Walmart - including the jerk that knocked over a woman and (I'm pretty sure) broke her hip. That was several years ago, and now our town has two Walmarts, which seems to have helped with the congestion a little. And I agree with the folks that posted before me; line jumpers really honk me off. 

The only real problem I have ever seen is with line jumpers. I always bring heaters and extra food (except the years I start at Walmart and I am inside) because people are appreciative and will generally look out for you if you are kind to them. I also make a list of people to try to cut down on line jumpers. The only ones who get annoyed are the ones planning on holding a place for 12 of their friends, but this really does keep things more civil in the front of the line.

When shopping I must say that I am very aggressive and people who are standing still in the middle of the aisle on their phone will get a stern talking to from me in a loud voice such as "listen, there are people behind you trying to get through... either pay attention and start moving or get out of the main aisle..." so I am probably the rude one. But I also map things out and from time to time need to get across the store in a hurry and I tend to be very direct.

Another good thing to do is yell out what you are looking for and ask if anyone else is looking for something specific when you are DVD or game hunting, or looking for a specific size of clothing. By helping each other out everyone finds what they are looking for more quickly and can get on to the next thing.

• Like 1

I have not run into rude people as well.  It is the line jumpers that annoy the heck out of me (especially the ones that pretend they don't realize they are doing it).  Most everyone is out to have a good time and get the deals.  The problems they show on TV are really  far from the norm.

I'm with you, it is the line jumpers that annoy me!  I have no problem speaking up to them. In my opinion if you want to sit in your warm car until the doors open, then you will have to wait till the end of the line reaches the door. 

• Like 2