Unofficial Black Friday Streaming Media Device Thread

len_mullen

This should be a banner year for streaming media.  Apple, Chromecast, Fire TV, and Roku streamers will no doubt be under trees as Netflix, Prime, Vudu, and YouTube compete for our eyes.  

This Topic is a place to discuss the streamers, apps, and services.

Best Buy Amazon Fire TV Wireless Media Streamer $74.99

Best Buy Apple TV Wireless Media Player w/ Free $10 Gift Card $89.99

Best Buy Roku Streaming Stick HDMI Adapter w/ Remote $39.99

Best Buy Sony Smart 3D WiFi Built-in Blu-ray Player $59.99

Best Buy Sony Smart WiFi Built-in Blu-ray Player $49.99

Radio Shack Roku Streaming Stick HDMI Version $39.99

Sam's Club Roku HDMI Streaming Stick $39.86

Staples Amazon Fire TV Wireless Media Streamer $74.00

TargetApple TV Wireless Media Player$89.00

TargetSony BDP-S3200 Blu-ray Disc Player with WiFi$49.99

Walmart Roku 1 Streaming Player $28.00

Happy Streaming!
Edited by len_mullen

I like the Roku the best.  They have tons more channels and they are active in the system updates and upgrades. 

I have an AppleTV (latest version) and it's been pretty good. I did the Pre-Order for the Amazon Fire Stick for $19 but won't get that until January. I've thought about checking out the Roku also but not sure yet. Yes I like tech toys lol.

We have smart tv's in both the basement and family room but I did pre-order the fire stick and I should have it next week. Looking forward to being able to watch Netflix and prime in my bedroom :) I've had my eye on an Apple TV for a while as well; I just never bit the bullet.

There are TONS of Free channels.

Anything and everything you want.

Here are some examples of what the free channels offer.

Movies - Silent, Classic, Westerns, New Movies, International films, documentary films, Si-Fi, Classroom Scare, Classic Exploitation, indie films, war and more

TV - Some network TV, on-demand tv if you have cable, international tv such as UK, Asian, Israeli, Indian, Russian, Middle East

Faith Based - Jewish, Christian, Islam, Hindu, Mormon

Kids - tons of kids channels

and there is a whole lot more.  You can go to the Roku site and look at the channel line up.  The channels are created by networks and content creators so they are always adding tons of channels weekly.

We are thinking about getting a media streaming device as a gift for the entire family. I heard Bigjimslade say that he prefers Roku. I've heard many others say the same thing as well.

Can someone tell me if there are any free channels and if so what kinds?

• Like 1

There are TONS of Free channels.

Anything and everything you want.

Here are some examples of what the free channels offer.

Movies - Silent, Classic, Westerns, New Movies, International films, documentary films, Si-Fi, Classroom Scare, Classic Exploitation, indie films, war and more

TV - Some network TV, on-demand tv if you have cable, international tv such as UK, Asian, Israeli, Indian, Russian, Middle East

Faith Based - Jewish, Christian, Islam, Hindu, Mormon

Kids - tons of kids channels

and there is a whole lot more.  You can go to the Roku site and look at the channel line up.  The channels are created by networks and content creators so they are always adding tons of channels weekly.

Thank you!

We are thinking about getting a media streaming device as a gift for the entire family. I heard Bigjimslade say that he prefers Roku. I've heard many others say the same thing as well.

Can someone tell me if there are any free channels and if so what kinds?

I have a half dozen Rokus.  I have recently moved on to Amazon's Fire TV and the most recent streaming device I bought was a Sony BDP-S5100.

The reason I stopped buying Rokus is that my favorite -- the Roku 2XS -- has not worked well for three consecutive updates.  The device crashes when playing files from Netflix or my Plex server.  Things have stabilized, but it still crashes.  No other streaming device I own or have ever owned has crashed on my.  They are working on another update now, and I fully expect to go through another round of problems.  Except for the Roku 3 and their latest stick, Rokus do not and will not support Netflix with profiles.  

I bought a Fire TV when it came out in April.  It's much better hardware than any other streamer.  It supports games as well as entertainment and you can plug an XBox controller into the USB port (or a mouse or a keyboard).  The Fire TV doesn't have as many apps as the Roku, but they have been adding about two a day and the library sits at 586 this morning.  The Fire TV streams all the major services.  This week a CBS News channel was added that streams live news and ondemand content.  This morning BBC News was added.

The last 'streamer' I bought was a Sony BDP-S5100.  I chose this simply because it had a sleep timer.  Generally, I fall asleep with the television on.  It is smart enough to shut itself off when there is no incoming signal.  My DVR has a sleep timer.  Most streamers are always on, so my TV never shuts off if I fall asleep to something on the Plex server or Netflix.  This BD player has a sleep timer and it streams just about everything.  It uses the Sony PS3 interface and the Opera app store.

http://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/amazon-fire-tv-hands-on

http://freetvforme.wordpress.com/2014/10/04/sony-bdp-s5100-review

I'm going to try to grab an BDPS5200 for $59.99 at Best Buy or the BDPS3200 for $49.99.  You will not find a better streamer in that price range...and they do not reboot in the middle of a movie ;-)

• Like 1

Do any of these devices allow you to go straight to the web? My son watches a few shows on some anime (sp?) website. He doesn't like the delay in mirroring the computer to the television. Is there a small streaming device that would allow him to go to that website directly on the tv and watch his shows?  Am I even making sense?

Do any of these devices allow you to go straight to the web? My son watches a few shows on some anime (sp?) website. He doesn't like the delay in mirroring the computer to the television. Is there a small streaming device that would allow him to go to that website directly on the tv and watch his shows?  Am I even making sense?

The Chromecast might be best for that.  With Chromecast, he could browse to the show on a PC or tablet using the Chrome browser then tabcast the content to the Chromecast.  If the host (is fast) the mirroring will be fast.

The Chromecast might be best for that.  With Chromecast, he could browse to the show on a PC or tablet using the Chrome browser then tabcast the content to the Chromecast.  If the host (is fast) the mirroring will be fast.

Thank you for the info.  Now that you say that, I believe he had said Chromecast was what his boss was telling him about.  One of these days I'll learn to trust him, I guess :).

Thank you everyone for your help!

I will have to do a little research. WE don't currently have Amazon Prime but are planning on getting it soon. I have 50.00 worth of Amazon gift cards that I've won by doing surveys and other stuff, so if they don't have anything else that I need, I may use the GC to get that.

Another thing I have to research is the difference between all of the Roku's.. They have so many different kinds.

Edited by starbeck96

Thank you everyone for your help!

I will have to do a little research. WE don't currently have Amazon Prime but are planning on getting it soon. I have 50.00 worth of Amazon gift cards that I've won by doing surveys and other stuff, so if they don't have anything else that I need, I may use the GC to get that.

Another thing I have to research is the difference between all of the Roku's.. They have so many different kinds.

If you have (or get) Prime, Fire TV has a nice voice search feature.  Best place to get Fire TVs is Staples.  $74 on BF is a very good price.  It's $84 this week.  You can apply $25 off $75, 25% back in rewards, and 20% off coupons with those prices plus you can return it to a B&M if you are unhappy.  Same applies for the Roku 3.

As for the Roku models, there are a lot of refurbs out there, so you can get a decent discount.  The refurbs have the same 90 day warranty as the new units (Fire TV is ony year).  Of the 'current' models...

- Roku 3 is their flagship.  It is 5x faster than the other models.  You can plug a set of earbuds into the remote control for private listening.  Remote is wifi not line-of-sight (IR) or bluetooth.  People have problems with wifi.  There is a wired ethernet port as well as a usb port you can plug a disk into.  It gets all the updates first.  There is no analog audio/composite out for people who want to send that to an older TV or the aux in on their HTIB.

- Roku Stick got the new Netflix client with profiles.  Only this and the Roku 3 get this.

- Roku 1 and Roku 2 are legacy products already, but have analog/composite out if you need it.

• Like 1