need help with rocksmith/electric guitar

cab0ad

my son wants Rocksmith for xbox 360 with an electric guitar.  There are some bundles that have a guitar.  Is it a good guitar?  Or is it better to buy the game separately and get an electric guitar? anyone know of any good electric guitar deals?  any advice would be great!

The Epiphone Les Paul Jr is a very good guitar for a beginner, for the price it simply can't be be.

If he has some experience and is moving out of the beginner stages into more advanced techniques, finger picking, legatos etc.  I would recommend getting the guitar separate, the bundled one is cheap because it uses cheap parts, pickups/electronics.  The step up to a really good guitar for intermediate players is only around $100, there are so many good choices at that level you'd have to talk with the employees at your local guitar store (it's one industry where most of the employees actually know what they're talking about).

But if he's a beginner the guitar that comes with these bundles is generally thought of as the best starter guitar there is.

He is a beginner. The rocksmith bundle with guitar is only $200 but I saw that you can get an electric guitar on amazon for $100 after shipping and it comes with a cheap guitar case and an amp.  It is located here:  http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Accessories-Beginner-Starter-Package/dp/B003Z9W3IK/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1384535655&sr=8-6&keywords=beginner+electric+guitar

It would actually be cheaper buying this bundle and geting the game separately for $80 and I'd get the amp to go with it.  The guitar has pretty good reviews but I just don't know enough about guitars to know if it is better to buy separately and get the amp for less money or just buy the rocksmith bundle. Think the 2 guitars are comparable?  thanks so much for your advice!

Are they comparable, very early on yes.  I started with almost that exact guitar, same company but a different model.  After about 2 months getting out of simple strumming you can and getting an ear for it you can really tell it's cheap, after a short time he'll be trying to adjust everything and be wondering why it doesn't sound as good as the music he's listening to and trying to play.

You'd be better off (hopefully there's a guitar center nearby), GC's BF ad the Epiphone on page 1 is the same one included with the rocksmith bundle (just has the model # renamed for BF sale), it's only  $69, or the bundle on top of page 2 of guitar centers ad, comes with a decent amp/bag/dvd/picks/pitch pipe, it's a really good deal.

The startup cost will be about $80 more but if you think he'll stick with it for any length of time it will be well worth it.  It will be the difference of needing to upgrade the guitar in 3-4 years as opposed to 3-6 months for a cheaper one.

Thanks for the info!  I really appreciate your help. I know NOTHING about guitars! I think I'll try to get the one on the front page of the GC ad on black friday.  I have a GC about 30 minutes from my home.  I wonder how early I have to show up to get one if they have 10 per store.  It says it is $89 for the weekend price and $69 for the black friday price so I assume they won't sell out within minutes!

Hi...was looking for the same thing for my son.. Found a gibson guitar with amp at Best buys for 75 and if you bought rocksmith

2014(80 bucks ) you got 50 off the guitar...Bought both and it was less than  115 with tax..Seems like a good deal for a

begginner..Hope this helps

This is still the deal on BB website.  Merry Christmas!

• Like 1

Go to your local music center. If you have a Guitar Center near you go there. These cheap guitars are just that. Cheap. They don't stay in tune and can warp easily. Nothing will turn off a beginner than a guitar that sounds crappy. The best advise is to buy the game with the cord, you will need it, and then take your son to the store and let him pick a guitar out. Your first guitar becomes like your favorite pair of jeans. No matter how beat up it gets you will never let it go. Get something that will last more than a few months. A decent beginner Fender Strat will cost you $250-300 but in the long run will be worth the investment.

• Like 1