How long have you been shopping on Black Friday?

bpr

Yikes!....I am trying to remember when I got started....but I do remember clearly waiting in line at Mervyns with my sisters and mom about 20+ years ago. Many of you might remember when Mervyns came out with that commercial...where the lady was saying "open open open"....I loved it! cause that was totally us!

My parents had 7 children...so back then it was not about buying gifts and hiding them (they did that, but I don't know how/when that happened :gdkiss2:)...

ohhh the memories....I love Black Fiday...but I have to agree with some of you....it is not quite the same anymore.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

While we are waiting for the ads to appear :tired: , I have a question for all; How long have you been shopping Black Friday? BF has been around a while. We (my DW and I) have been shopping BF for about 20 years now. We started when our DS was a babe and have been doing it ever since. We used to get in line at three in the morning at KB/Toy Castle. Our shopping later moved to COMPUSA and other stores over the years.

Were you in Spain the last few years? If so, now that you are back, what will be your items you desire the most that you have missed out on in years past?

• Like 1

Since the Furby frenzy of 1998 which makes this my silver anniversary!

The Furby frenzy was my first year as a shopper too! I worked several BF's before it.... I have also worked Thanksgiving. The belief at the store - "We are Jewish and do not celebrate Christmas, why not profit from it"!!!

I am not sure of how many I have left in me.... I think I still do it for the spirit and tradition of it all.

• Like 2

Were you in Spain the last few years? If so, now that you are back, what will be your items you desire the most that you have missed out on in years past?

I didn't really miss much other than standing in line at Best Buy and such. Our local NEX (military store on base) had BF too. The deals weren't quite as good as those by BB, Target, & Walmart, but deals could be had (Beats Solo last year for $139 and Xbox360 4GB for $99). With the 6 hours difference I was able to shop online and go stand in the 'much shorter' line at the NEX, lol. It still wasn't quite the same though. Before that I was in Diego Garcia and Japan. Japan was similar to Spain with the NEX and DG was online only shopping (but my son was in the states proxy for me ;)). It's been 8 years since I could do my own 'real' shopping and I'm ready (though my son wants to bail and go to the outlets :yuck: ). The only issue I have with my return is that there is nothing I really need. I'll find something just so I can stand in line somewhere, lol.

Edited by bpr
  • Like 1

I didn't really miss much other than standing in line at Best Buy and such. Our local NEX (military store on base) had BF too. The deals weren't quite as good as those by BB, Target, & Walmart, but deals could be had (Beats Solo last year for $139 and Xbox360 4GB for $99). With the 6 hours difference I was able to shop online and go stand in the 'much shorter' line at the NEX, lol. It still wasn't quite the same though. Before that I was in Diego Garcia and Japan. Japan was similar to Spain with the NEX and DG was online only shopping (but my son was in the states proxy for me ;)). It's been 8 years since I could do my own 'real' shopping and I'm ready (though my son wants to bail and go to the outlets :yuck: ). The only issue I have with my return is that there is nothing I really need. I'll find something just so I can stand in line somewhere, lol.

Sometimes you just have to do it for the tradition of it. October is known among my friends and relatives as "Flip Month". The really, really frugal ones ask quietly, and we make deals on past BF purchases, because they know the original cost and expected depreciation. My family (the ones that do not shop) are taking advantage of flip deals from 2011. The $79 and $199 deals are going to grandma. She is a happy camper in a sense now that her old tube and projection clunkers are getting kicked to the curb.

Edited by jaymacfla
  • Like 1