IMPORTANT! Warranty Upgrade for Viore 42" Plasma @ WalMart

BobbyDouglas

Anyone who has purchased the 42" plasma @ WalMart last Friday, you will want to read this!

The rude/stupid electronics customer service rep didn't have a clue about warranties on the plasma tv. At the cash register, I didn't take advantage of purchasing the warranty (that was listed for $198 at the store).

I called WalMart.com to inquire about getting an additional warranty for the plasma. According to their website, they only have a warranty for plasmas that are $1500-$2,499 and $2,500+. There isn't one that fits the category of what was purchased last Friday.

After some talking around, I was able to the 3 yr extended warranty plan for $88.33 (it is the one named for TV, but in the $599-$999 price range).

That's right, this TV comes with a FULL 4 year warranty. The 1st year is the crappy manuf's warranty, and the 2nd-4th are directly from WalMart.

I had the WalMart.com employee make a note on that account to say: "This warranty for $88.33 will cover the Viore 42" EDTV, and it is ok to still have the warranty, even though the EDTV has already been purchased."

I left WalMart paying $997 + tax, and got the WalMart 3 yr extended service plan for $88.33. :bounce_fl

Info on warranty plan:

Wal-Mart Product Care Service Plan

Service Plan

2 and 3 Year Service Plans provide an additional 2/3 years of product protection beyond the manufacturer's labor warranty

You Don't Pay for Repairs!

Product Care Plans cover 100% parts & labor costs for:

- Mechanical and Electrical Failures

- Damage from Power Surges

- Normal Wear & Tear Failures

- Damage Caused by Environmental Factors

The Plan Covers Common Repairs Including:

Projection Tube Failures

Plasma TV Driver Boards

Remote Controls

and more!

Product Care Plans Provide FREE Annual Cleaning and Adjust

Professional clean and adjust service for TV/DVD or TV/VCR combos are FREE for each year of coverage.

Remote Controls are Covered

We will repair or replace failed remote controls.

In-Home/On-Site Service Available

Qualified products, mirroring the manufacturer's warranty, receive convenient in-home or on-site service.

Transferable

If you sell your product or give it as a gift, the Product Care Plan is transferable to the new owner.

Product Care Plans Provide a "No Lemon Guarantee"

If your product fails three times for the same reason, on the fourth repair it will be replaced.

Can we buy that at any time or did we have to buy it when we purchased the TV last week?

Here:

I had the WalMart.com employee make a note on that account to say: "This warranty for $88.33 will cover the Viore 42" EDTV, and it is ok to still have the warranty, even though the EDTV has already been purchased."

I was able to purchase a 2 year additional extended warranty, but it was $199.00. That is the flat rate for all plasmas. I was able to purchase it a week after purchasing the 42 plasma.

I have yet to open mine, how is the picture quality? Is it ok, average, great, or very close to what we want an HDTV to look like?

Thanks,

Kraig

I was able to purchase a 2 year additional extended warranty, but it was $199.00. That is the flat rate for all plasmas. I was able to purchase it a week after purchasing the 42 plasma.

- That seems to be the standard in-store warranty for a plasa. I think $198 for ALL plasma tvs. However, my warranty is an extra year, and costs more than $100 less :)

I have yet to open mine, how is the picture quality? Is it ok, average, great, or very close to what we want an HDTV to look like?

- The DVDs are amazing. I haven't hooked it up to SD yet, but someone else reported that it wasn't that great in SD. I don't plan on using it for HDTV, so I couldn't tell you how it looks with a 1080i signal.

Thanks,

Kraig

Yup, DVDs look really good. Stand Def through S-video on my Direct TV looks great as well. Some channels are better than others but overall all channels look very good.