Best way to get Visa/MC/Amex gift cards

labgeek

We're from New Orleans, and still have family down there. Both her and my families suffered material loses (no lives lost though thankfully) and are in the process of rebuilding their lives. The mail to/from the area is dreadfully slow still. So after talking it over, we'd decided to do gift cards, and we'd rather do Visa/MC/Amex so they can decide what store(s) to buy from. What is the best way to get these?

I was looking around, and found out my bank (Wachovia) offers Visa Gift cards, but only to existing customers. It's $1.95 per card. Then if they use it as a debit card, it's $1 per transaction plus any terminal fees (other banks' ATMs fees). Credit card transactions are not charged any extra. That seems pretty reasonable. Is that about the best I'm going to see??

Ad doesn't say much about other fees like the bank told me about... But it does say reloadable. Do you have to have the card "in hand" to reload it? It would be nice to be able to add more to it from time to time. But we're 1100 miles away, having it with us when doing so isn't really feasible.

$1.95 is a great deal, the cheapest I have seen is $3.95 for a $25 card.

Try and get VISA or MC, make sure it's a credit card GC not a debit card.

Could you explain... From what the bank said it sounded more like a debit card in that it could be used either way. But they surcharge $1 if they use it as a debit card.

It was $1.95 for any amount from $25 to $600, we decide the amount when we buy it. I didn't ask about reloading it. I didn't even think about that until the Walgreens FAR "Green Dot" Visa card ad was pointed out.

I just noticed the ad in the Walgreens circular has a picture of the card. It has the person's name on it. I was assuming it would come blank or some generic "Gift Recipient" not personalized. How long does it take to get them?

Guest Unregistered
http://www.mymccard.com is the website for the greendot cards. (sorry it won't let me post url's.) The cost to reload them is $4.95 and can be reloaded without the card in hand. You only have to know the card number and the zip code of the mailing address on the card. There is also a $4.95 monthy maintanence fee. Oh yeah, and it takes 5 to 7 days to get it.