Did anyone else buy a DVD Recorder? (final nail in the coffin for my VCR)

Marcster

At OfficeMax of BF, I bought a Lite-On DVD Recorder for $69.99 AR. I had it on my list, but hadn't really given it much thought until we were standing in line. I didn't even mention it to my wife till we were pulling in the parking lot of OM.

Due to room re-decorations, both VCRs were banished to the basement months ago (we do have a 20" TV down there, so this meant that if you wanted to tape something and watch it later, you'd be in the basement... I have a TV tuner installed in one of my computers, but the recording software is difficult to understand, at best.

So, now we can record to DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, or DVD-RWs (all single layer). And I can easily copy over VHS to DVD...

I have to admit, I haven't really played around with it since I got home yesterday, but it seems pretty cool. :g_dance:

At OfficeMax of BF, I bought a Lite-On DVD Recorder for $69.99 AR. I had it on my list, but hadn't really given it much thought until we were standing in line. I didn't even mention it to my wife till we were pulling in the parking lot of OM.

Due to room re-decorations, both VCRs were banished to the basement months ago (we do have a 20" TV down there, so this meant that if you wanted to tape something and watch it later, you'd be in the basement... I have a TV tuner installed in one of my computers, but the recording software is difficult to understand, at best.

So, now we can record to DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs, or DVD-RWs (all single layer). And I can easily copy over VHS to DVD...

I have to admit, I haven't really played around with it since I got home yesterday, but it seems pretty cool. :g_dance:

You are going to love it! I don't actually have one.

I have a dvd-rw in the computer and don't own many vhs anyway.

I got a friend of mine one on my discount from work.

If you use the lower quality setting, you can get 3 vhs movies on one dvd.

The pic loses a little quality, but it's really not that much that you will notice.

You can keep adding to your dvd until you finalize it. Or get the rw's if you want to change stuff on there.

She uses it for recording on tv too and absolutely loves it.:g_dance:

I've had one for months and I use it to record my VHS that aren't avail on dvd. STill use VHS for daily time shifting though. I will never get rid of them (I have like 4 of them).

I don't even use the recorder for regular dvds that I watch. I have another palyer hooked up for that. This one is dedicated just for recording VHS. I have to admit, that the settings are so conveluted (SP?) that I won't change them for fear of not being able to get them back again...lol

but yeah, it IS cool!

I have not used a VCR since fall of 2000 when I won my free TiVo from www.tivo.com (they were a very new company and anyone that wrote an essay on their website won one). I hacked it for video extraction to my PC and with a variety of software tools I can edit out commercials and burn directly to DVD without sacrificing any of the original quality. I've been doing this for years. Of course now they make it easy with TiVo-to-Go and TiVos with DVD recorders built right in.