WalMart BF question?? Legal issues, maybe?

cpbaby

OK, I got my 17 yr old up and we went to WalMart at 4:30 this morning. I saw my MIL's best friend in the parking lot line(we currently have a regular WalMart, not a 24/7 walMart). After the doors were opened, we went in. I got what I wanted and was back snug in my bed at 5:30. :tongue1:

Ok, back to my MIL's best friend. She got one of the TVs for her parents and a toy of some sort for her grandson. When she went to check out, the TV rang up correctly, but the toy rang up at the higher "everyday" price. She asked for the manager and he came over. He told her that they only received 30 of those particular toys that could be sold at the "special" price and after they were gone, the rest were regular price. SHE BOUGHT IT ANYWAY!!! :mad:

I say that if the toy is on the shelf during the special price hours, it MUST be sold for the advertised price. IF they didnt want to sell more than 30 of them at that price, they should have removed the item from the shelves.

Has anyone heard of this? It seems like bad business to me.

OH, and BTW, supposedly this WalMart didnt get ANY laptops. I wasnt looking for one so it didnt bother me, BUT I know some people were VERY tore up about it.

Guest all2tired
I agree, walmart should have honored the sale price. She should have taken teh ad and the toy to customer service (to hell with the manager) and say this was on sale for x amount and it rang up as y amount, I would like to have the adjustment made. If they refused, I would have caused a stink and then returned it if they still didn't honor the sale price.

Walmart is actually under investigation for charging higher than the advertised price.

Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal says he will investigate Wal-Mart's pricing practices in the wake of studies showing significant discrepancies between the chain's posted and checkout prices.

Studies by the University of Illinois' Chicago Center for Urban Economic Development and the University of California-Berkley revealed that items purchased at Wal-Marts in Illinois, Michigan, Indiana and California scanned the wrong price as often as 8.3 percent of the time. That far exceeds the federal standard, a 2 percent error rate.

Errors recorded in the studies were both greater and less than the posted prices, so they sometimes benefited the consumer, other times the company.

Consumers have also complained to ConsumerAffairs.Com about pricing issues. Janice of Ellington, Mo., said the Poplar Bluff, Mo., Wal-Mart frequently has incorrect prices on its items.

"Checkers and managers get very nasty when you correct them. Why don't they fix the problem and correct the price?" she asked. "You can go back a week later and it most times is not taken care of so why get ugly with the customer?"

"I see this at Walmart all the time on all different types of products," said Maggi of Bloomington, Indiana. "How can they get away with that?"

Blumenthal will determine whether similar discrepancies exist at Wal-Mart stores in Connecticut.

"This data shows serious discrepancies between the prices posted and the amounts actually charged -- meriting prompt investigation -- because Wal-Mart has a legal obligation to be always accurate, not always low," Blumenthal said.

"Nothing is more fundamental to fair pricing than keeping promises about prices. Consumers should be spared a sweepstakes system when they come to the cash register. They deserve reliable, rock-solid price guarantees. The price they are given should be the price they are charged, he added.

"Consumers should take nothing for granted while shopping at Wal-Mart this holiday season. Check the register price with the shelve price and report any discrepancies to my office. Shoppers can be our eyes and ears, as we begin this investigation,’ according . to Blumenthal. "I will take appropriate action to protect consumers and assure the integrity of Wal-Mart's prices if my investigation uncovers unacceptable price inaccuracies in Connecticut."

The studies found that almost 85 percent of Wal-Mart stores surveyed in Illinois, Indiana and Michigan failed to meet the federally standard of a 2 percent error rate. In California, 87 percent of Wal-Marts surveyed exceeded the standard. The error rate was also highest in California -- 8.3 percent -- compared with 6.4 percent in the other three stat

If it was one of the BF items that is wrong. However, at our WM people were getting the SPs out of the display case and they were not the ones that were packaged to ring up at BF prices. The same thing happened with the Care Bears and a few other things. It got confusing because they were putting the non-sale items near the sale items and you just had to check really carefully to make sure it was the right one. Our WM was great about everything. It was the monsters who came in there about 15-20 minutes til time for the sale to start. They were the most uncivilized bunch I have ever seen.

Hmmm....Poplar Bluff MO is my hometown. The Wal-Mart there is one of the top 10 for sales in the country and everyone is very friendly there, the odd time I have had something ring up incorrectly they corrected it without question. I work retail and I know how people can get really mad quickly, they accidentally pick up the wrong size or scent of an item etc....

That is soooo wrong, they should definately honor the sale price, and I can't believe she bought it anyway!!! How big of a price difference was it?

$20 or so, I think. It was 1/2 price. I wouldnt have bought it on sheer principle after that. I would have went ANYWHERE else if I had to pay full price for it. BUT Im funny that way.

sounds to me like they sold out of all the items that were in the ad and your friend had a similar but not exact same item. I used to work at a toy store and i know how this can happen.

No. The manager TOLD her it was the same thing, same item number, just that 30 of them had already been rang up so the price had "reverted" sonce his BF stock was gone.