I got the Fry's Ad!!!!!!!!!

Guest ilikebike

Guest ilikebike

I swiped these from the work computer yesterday but forgot to convert the pdf to jpg. But here are some Fry's ads for the SoCal (LA and Orange County) area.

Most other regions with Fry's will not have the same items, but they will have very similar types of deals.

Unfortunately, I could only get ahold of 1 of 2 pages for black friday (missed the computers section), but I did get the whole weekend ad.

The ads were about 60 megs in pdf format. I've uploaded them to photobucket as jpg's too.

If anyone else knows of where to better host these, let me know.

*****EDIT****

I'm too new and can't post the link :(

Try this http://www.photobucket.com/albums/d109/ilikebike/

Guest ilikebike

Could you do me a favor and repost that link in ... um ... link form?

I'm sure they'll have the usual fair on Friday in computers. $99 linux PC, $400 laptop, $200 17-19 tft, $25 printer, etc.

Get there early! This is my 3rd BF with them, and although we have 400 of the $99 PCs in stock, they sell out in 2 hours or less.

We go in to work from 4am to 11pm that day!

Wish us luck!

I got the Sacramento one. No digital cam or scanner so I cant post it. However, I can tell you this: If youre wanting PC components, stick with newegg and their regular deals. BB and others have most others have better deals for electronics. I wa shocked their prices are so high. No competitive laptops, desktops, parts or such. Their laptops start at $800, about the same price as others off-sale. Was kinda disappointed.

Guest ilikebike

Thanks a lot for those. I'm hoping they'll have the $69.99 Sempron 2800+ mobo/cpu combo at the Fishers, IN store. Hopefully someone posts the scans of the Fishers ad once the paper comes out in four hours or so.

I remember last year they had a Duron/mobo combo for $39 down here.

BTW, How is Fishers doing? I went for the grand opening week and while it was a nice store, it was not one of our better openings.

Any idea what processor is in the $99 Linspire box? I'm hoping for a Sempron 2800 or a 3000. Last year was a 2200, iirc.

Fishers is a very nice store. I live in Columbus, OH (hoping for a Fry's here), but I will be in Indianapolis for Thanksgiving. I have been there twice, and it's been moderately crowded. Since that store has not been through a black friday yet, it'll be interesting to see one there. It's nice to know they have ~400 of the $99 linux boxes...

Guest ilikebike

hey ilikebike, thanks for the scans. you only have 1/2 of the BF scans (2nd half). where's the 1st half?

I was unable to get those :(

We got the ads sent electronically via pdf on tuesday and the 1st half wasn't in the bunch yet.

I had to zip 'em and upload them to yousendit before anyone noticed.

Any idea what processor is in the $99 Linspire box? I'm hoping for a Sempron 2800 or a 3000. Last year was a 2200, iirc.

Fishers is a very nice store. I live in Columbus, OH (hoping for a Fry's here), but I will be in Indianapolis for Thanksgiving. I have been there twice, and it's been moderately crowded. Since that store has not been through a black friday yet, it'll be interesting to see one there. It's nice to know they have ~400 of the $99 linux boxes...

Do you know how easy it is to install XP Home on those cheap $99 boxes?

What about finding drivers?

Guest ilikebike

The current ones they run on sale are usually the 2400 or 2600 semprons.

Hey, if anyone has any Fry's questions, just ask!

And yes, we do price match on Black Friday as long as we still have the item in stock, so come early.

I already picked up some of my goods.

Guest ilikebike

Do you know how easy it is to install XP Home on those cheap $99 boxes?

What about finding drivers?

Pretty easy. They come with the motherboard cd and modem cd for the drivers.

Only thing I've noticed is sometimes it can be quirky on loading files unless you do a low level format.

The current ones they run on sale are usually the 2400 or 2600 semprons.

Hey, if anyone has any Fry's questions, just ask!

And yes, we do price match on Black Friday as long as we still have the item in stock, so come early.

I already picked up some of my goods.

I'm still debating what time to leave (from about 45 minutes away) for the Fishers store. Since the grand opening sale didn't have a big turnout, I'm wondering if I really need to be there at 3am. Someone who works at the Fishers store posted here and said that they will open at 5am, so I'm hoping 4am is early enough to get there.

I'm guessing Fry's turnout for the grand opening would have been lower since not many people in the midwest know what Fry's is. (It's quite intimidating upon first entering) Now that it has been established, the black friday turnout is unpredictable.

Basically, I want to somehow get a cheap Sempron processor and a motherboard. So, I may buy the $99 linux computer or whatever cheap AMD combo (hopefully AMD64 for <$100) they have. Have you seen any overstocks on any of this kind of stuff in your store?

Pretty easy. They come with the motherboard cd and modem cd for the drivers.

Only thing I've noticed is sometimes it can be quirky on loading files unless you do a low level format.

You can't low level format a modern hard disk. It simply can't be done.

(Maxor, I believe, offers a utility that calls itself a "low level format" that in reality just zeros the disk and clears some internal structures. There is no reason to do this other than debugging)

Simply boot into Linspire, get to a console, and type dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1024 count=1

**WARNING** This will zero out the partition table and the start of the boot sector of the hard drive. **WARNING**

Then proceed to install xp home as normal. Before doing so, you may want to try Linux first. You may like it... and it performs much better than windows xp in many tasks.

Guest ilikebike

I'm still debating what time to leave (from about 45 minutes away) for the Fishers store. Since the grand opening sale didn't have a big turnout, I'm wondering if I really need to be there at 3am. Someone who works at the Fishers store posted here and said that they will open at 5am, so I'm hoping 4am is early enough to get there.

I'm guessing Fry's turnout for the grand opening would have been lower since not many people in the midwest know what Fry's is. (It's quite intimidating upon first entering) Now that it has been established, the black friday turnout is unpredictable.

Basically, I want to somehow get a cheap Sempron processor and a motherboard. So, I may buy the $99 linux computer or whatever cheap AMD combo (hopefully AMD64 for <$100) they have. Have you seen any overstocks on any of this kind of stuff in your store?

Well, our store is about 10 years old now (Fry's just celebrated 25 years with the Fishers opening), and our line usually loops around the building. Some of our smaller sister stores have fire marshalls throttling the crowds into the building. I'm guessing it will be much bigger than the Grand Opening. Usually Fry's stock plenty of on-ad merchandise (we don't focus on making a profit on that day, we generally come out 15% below cost for the whole day) so if the $99 pc goes on sale, we'll have around 300-400 pieces and it will last past the first initial lineup. And usually with an isolated store like Fishers/Downers Grove, we keep the place pretty well stock because we have no routes in that area to re-stock quickly.

We run a small window on restocks, and we got most of the BF merchandise in on Monday-Tuesday. There's a ton of Maxtor 300gb and 200gb drives, and the usual ECS motherboards and Sempron processors. I don't think they'll pull a AMD64 combo because of limited supply of 2800+ processors to get it to under a $100 price point. They may do a nice AMD X2 bundle though.

Guest ilikebike

I'm a Linux n00b, is Linspire sufficient if I want a Windows-like GUI or should I (attempt to) install RedHat?

It's very windows-centric. It was previously called "Lindows" before MS dropped the hammer. They also state they can also run some limited windows apps.

Good distro fto get the feet wet I'd say.

Any Fry's employees or insiders able to confirm the $99 Linspires will be there this year? I didn't see any in that ad scan.... and I'm not hopping up and down about a ton in this ad... I may end up at the Best Buy $149 package if I don't know for sure...

:(

I'm a Linux n00b, is Linspire sufficient if I want a Windows-like GUI or should I (attempt to) install RedHat?

You probably want to install Fedora Core. Linspire may be sufficient if you only want to do certain things and you only want to run certain software through a "subscription" to Linspire's service... then Linspire may do. Keep in mind that Linspire logs you in as root by default, and is thus very insecure. If security doesn't matter, Linspire may do.

Otherwise, choose a Linux distro. Here is my quick and dirty summary. Do a search for linux distros and you'll find hundreds more.

Fedora - Formerly redhat, this is the linux distribution of choice if you need closed source kernel modules. This is considered by many to be the "standard" distribution (even though it isn't standard by any stretch of the imagination) and thus a lot of software is written precompiled for it. If compiling something sounds scary, and you don't like paying a subscription to Linspire, get this.

Gentoo - if you feel dirty installing precompiled software, and you think everything should be optimized and configured exactly to your specifications, this is the distro for you. If you're a linux n00b, expect to learn a lot. quick.

Mandriva - Mandrake+Conectiva=Mandriva. Use this distribution if you want th ease of use of Linspire combined with the precompiled software (to a lesser extent) of Fedora, get this distro. It is the easiest (real) distribution of Linux to use, and many people like it.

Debian - if you like to call Linux "GNU/Linux" and like your software months out-of-date, this is the distro for you!

Red Hat Enterprise - if you are running a mission critical server, and need to be supported by a public company, this is what you want to run.