Tablet Help PLEASE!!!

I know their are posts about this question already but for the past hour ive been looking and cant one.I would like to know the difference in all the tablets out there.I mean $50 ones the Kindle the Ipad.Are they all just like computers.I was going to get my son a new laptop for christmas bt thought maybe he'd like a Kindle instead.Upon looking up kindles there are like 8 different ones.Which one is best??

This might help. I know you might not want to read a lot, but it might help answer some of your questions:

Black Friday TABLET Discussion Thread

It's hard to say which is best because a lot will be based on your wants, expectations, and needs. None can truly replace a laptop, that is the most important thing to remember. Kindles are nice, but run on their own OS version of Android so not everything will be compatible. Android tablets are nice, but you may want to get a Galaxy Tab 2 or Nexus 7 (they are rated as some of the best). They are more expensive but also a better quality (IMO). IPads are nice but can be expensive for what they are; unless you can get one on sale, I'd say they are overpriced (again IMO).

Edited by bpr

The Android app store has word processing apps. They are decent, but the last time I checked, no spell check (it's been a while though). It also has Evernote. My son uses both I believe for his note-taking. Google Docs was not a good solution because it requires an internet connection which he didn't have at school. Also be sure to also get a keyboard for typing the notes.