Gameboy SP or Micro

Princess Tink

Okay, I'm in a dilemma....buy my soon to be 8 yr old DS a SP or Micro? I know they always want the latest and greatest, and I know the SP is on sale for a good price in a matter of a few days.....

Any opinions comparing the 2? I know the Micro is more expensive, but is is really better? Just want to make sure I don't have to buy another one in 3 months (when his birthday rolls around).

TIA

I looked at the micro.. very tiny screen. The micro can fit in a shirt pocket.

I would go with the SP or the DS. on the plus side these units fold and this helps protect the screen.

The DS has dual screens.

My DS who is 10 saw the micro and was like no way. He loves the DS and the SP systems.

I thought the micro would have been about the size of an original NES controller, that's just what I always thought when I first saw the pics online. I saw one in a store window a week or so ago and they really are small.

At his age though, you might as well just get the SP, since it's a great price in the BF ads.

Guest superdomino83

The major differences between the SP and micro is that the micro is much smaller (which could mean your son is more likely to lose it), and that the micro will not play any of the games for the older gameboy systems: the original gameboy or gameboy color (which doesn't apply if this will be his first gameboy).

Outside of that the two are the same.

But with the sales going on this BF for the SP, I would highly recommend getting the SP.

It's known that the MICRO was never intended to be for kids. It's more chic to fit with the "iPod lifestyle". Think of it as the GBA for College Kids.

The SP is the perfect one for kids. It protects the screen and you can beat it up, like kids do, and works fine. Adults love it too but it's aesthetic features are meant more for the kids.

The MICRO is for the big kids who don't have anymore room in their pockets.

I would go with a MICRO. I hear resolution is much better, smaller screen, but brighter. But that's just me. I dont eat chocolate ice cream and play video games right away.....at least not at the moment.

The DS is the latest handheld from Nintendo, and is far more powerful than GBA (including SP and Micro) in terms of graphics, sound, etc. It also offers two screens and touch-screen input, meaning games can be controlled in more exciting and intuitive ways. It is also backward compatible with GBA games.

If there is any confusion, the SP and Micro are both just reincarnations of the old GBA. I would recommend the SP over the Micro, but the DS is definitely the way to go if you have a choice, and it's priced right at $130.