Best 18V Drill deal?

jlsc

Using the ad SEARCH feature here's the ads posted online for BF sales at this time.

Ace Hardware DeWalt 18-Volt Cordless Drill $99.99

Home Depot DeWalt 18-Volt Compact Drill/Driver Kit $99.00

Home Depot Makita 18-Volt Lithium Ion Compact Drill Kit $99.00

Home Depot Milwaukee M18 18-Volt Redlithium Compact Drill Kit $99.00

Home Depot Ridgid Fuego 18-Volt Hyper Lithium Compact Drill Kit $99.00

Home Depot Rigid X4 18-Volt Hyper Lithium-Ion 2-Piece Drill/Driver Combo Kit $179.00

Home Depot Ryobi One+ 18-Volt 3-Piece Combo Kit w/ Drill, Flashlight, Hand Vacuum $59.88

Home Depot Ryobi One+ 18-Volt Drill Kit $29.88

Home Depot Ryobi One+ 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Drill & Impact Driver Kit $99.00

Kmart Craftsman 18-Volt Drill/Driver [Thursday 3am] $29.99

Lowe's DeWalt 18-Volt Cordless Drill w/ 2 Batteries $99.00

Pep Boys Auto Trades Pro 18-Volt Cordless Drill / Driver $15.00 *

Walmart Black & Decker 18-Volt Drill w/2 NiCad Batteries and Case [Thursday 8pm] $49.88

My DH needs a new cordless drill. Is it worth it to try to get the Craftsman drill at 4am or are there better one to get?

I once had a craftsman 18v drill and trim saw. I loved it. We were inseparable. It worked fine for many years. When the batteries would no longer carry a useful charge, I tried to replace them. Sears had changed their battery 'styles' many times since I had purchased my set and the cost of replacing the batteries approached the cost of replacing the set. Which is what I did. I replaced the craftsman set with a Ryobi. You should buy your DH a Ryobi drill. Here's why...

I originally bought a kit. It consisted of a trim saw, a drill, a flashlight, a charger, and a tote bag. Later I supplemented this with other tools that came with LiOn batteries -- the batteries worked with my older tools. A couple weeks back, Ryobi sent me an email announcing new LiOn batteries that last 4x longer. The announcement assured me they will work with all of my older tools. I don't know of any other make of rechargable tools that takes such good care of their returning customers. I highly recommend Ryobi.

Home Depot BF ad...

Tools: Ryobi One+ 18-Volt 3-pc. Combo Kit $59.88

Tools: Ryobi One+ 18-volt Drill Kit $29.88

Tools: Ryobi One+ 18-Volt Lithium-ion Drill & Impact Driver $99.00

I love the Dewalt tools. They last a long time. I had a dwalt 18v drill, and the batteries went out after a few years. I went to buy a new battery and they were $80. Last year (And this year as well), Lowes has the 18v Dewalt drill with TWO batteries for $99. Great deal, gonna buy another one this year to take to the camp. Best part is, I ordered it online Thanksgiving day, sitting in my house.

Craftsman tools are not what they used to be. They are just okay. Buy teh Dewalt if you can. STay away from all those other ones listed. They are junk. My husband is a 30 year union carpenter and he knows tools. I bought my son a craftsman drill last year but only because it will only get used once or twice a year.

Craftsman tools are not what they used to be. They are just okay. Buy teh Dewalt if you can. STay away from all those other ones listed. They are junk. My husband is a 30 year union carpenter and he knows tools. I bought my son a craftsman drill last year but only because it will only get used once or twice a year.

No doubt Dewalt makes good tools, but that doesn't make the rest junk. Lots of people who have used them disagree with you (including me). Then there's the cost. Why exactly didn't you get your kid a Dewalt tool?

Home Depot

Tools: DeWalt 12-Volt Max 1/4-in. Cordless Screwdriver Kit BUY NOW! $99.00

Tools: DeWalt 12-Volt Max Li-Ion 3-Tool Combo Kit BUY NOW! $199.00

Tools: DeWalt 17-pc. Rapid Load Carbide Drill Bit Set BUY NOW! $9.88

Tools: DeWalt 18-Volt 1/2-in. Compact Drill/Driver Kit $99.00

Tools: DeWalt 20-Volt Max (1.5Ah) Lithium-Ion Drill/Driver / Impact Driver 2-Tool Combo Kit $199.00

Tools: Ryobi One+ 18-Volt 3-pc. Combo Kit $59.88

Tools: Ryobi One+ 18-volt Drill Kit $29.88

Tools: Ryobi One+ 18-Volt Lithium-ion Drill & Impact Driver $99.00

Note that there is significant difference between the various Craftsman models, and probably the same for some other manufacturers. I have both Dewalt and Craftsman tools, and both can be very good. For cordless drills, I suggest considering one with a lithium-ion battery. I have one similar to the $39.99 model in the Sears ad, and because the battery has passed it useful life, I plan to buy either the $49.99 or $59.99 model this year, which come with Li-on batteries (instead of just buying a lithium-ion replacement battery for my drill). (I also have a corded Craftsman drill, which is my main drill, but maybe that will change.)