Crochet & Knitting Beginner's Kits (Similar)

revecca

I have two dd's ages 13, and 11. They are both interested in learning to crochet & knit. I've seen the one's from Klutz but not sure if those are any good. Any suggestions on which one's are good and the best place to get a great deal on them. Thanks so much! :)

I just started knitting when I was recovering from surgery last winter and I'm telling you youtube was my best friend lol.. I had bought whatever beginner kit walmart had and it came with alot of the stuff I needed but I honestly never opened the book that came with it. I would get them a couple sets of needles (you can get a variety pack of crochet needles pretty cheap with a Michaels/Joann's/Hobby Lobby coupon), some yarn and let them peruse youtube for beginning knitting/crocheting videos and I'm sure they will pick it up in no time :)

I agree. I would buy the 1.77 peaches and cream crochet cotton in lots of pretty colors. I taught my 8 year old granddaughter how to crochet in april. I told her to crochet the whole ball into a chain before she came back for vacation. She told me she is now done. It took her about an hour to learn the chain. Knitting is hard. I never learned to knit, I hated it. I have been crocheting owl hats for sale and have made 170 this week alone, it's a big thing right now. I took 4 orders today alone. I hate yarn, I think it's old fashioned and ugly. I will buy the expensive Lion brand yarns, but not the cheap Redheart stuff. Cotton is what the kids want. An easy kids learn book would be a good idea with good pictures. And one hook from about E to J. H is the one I use on a daily basis. Sometimes G.

I'm a knitter, and I agree, youtube is your best friend, if you don't know how to knit and need assistance.

If you want to see what you're buying, I'd stock up on coupons from the craft stores and buy the needles/yarn there. Get them size 8 needles to start. It's your choice if you want to use metal or bamboo needles (never really used plastic...) I prefer bamboo because metal can be kinda tough and the stitches tend to slip very easily. The length, don't buy anything too long.

As for the yarn, I'd buy Lion's Brand, but bring the kids with you and have them choose the yarn they want to learn with, so they get a color they like. If they want to knit themselves a scarf to learn (easiest thing to do, you're just knitting back and forth and for length) they can pick the color and the softness they like. I do not recommend dark color yarn for a first time knitter, it'll be very hard to see what they are doing. Don't get any of the fuzzy yarns, the chenilles, etc. Get regular old yarn. The fancy yarns are too hard to work with for a beginner.

I'd also ask around if you know anyone that knits. They might have extra stuff they may want to give away.

Joann's has a 60^ coupon: http://www.joann.com/coupon/?icn=Home&ici=Slot5 through tomorrow.