"Different" traditions

theggs4ever

I don't know if it's considered "different" anymore but we started having Bad Holiday Sweater Parties about 5 years ago. My great aunt would always decide to make us these awful knit sweaters that no one would actually wear. One year for the Christmas Party we had all the nieces and nephews wear the shirts and it was a lot of fun. Now every year we have prizes for the worst sweater.

I think there was a movie that featured a bad sweater party and now I've heard of plenty of people throwing them.

I don't know if it's considered "different" anymore but we started having Bad Holiday Sweater Parties about 5 years ago. My great aunt would always decide to make us these awful knit sweaters that no one would actually wear. One year for the Christmas Party we had all the nieces and nephews wear the shirts and it was a lot of fun. Now every year we have prizes for the worst sweater.

I think there was a movie that featured a bad sweater party and now I've heard of plenty of people throwing them.

Love it!!! How fun!!!

This year that will be new to us is to have a box the kids get to open on Christmas Eve that includes hot chocolate, a Christmas movie, new pajamas for the whole family, popcorn, holiday marshmallows, fun socks, and a new Christmas Book to read before bed. I think my girls will love it!

Another one we have done the last two years isn't all that different, but maybe some of you haven't heard of it. I have a ton of Christmas books, so I wrap 24 of them and the girls choose one each night to open up and read. They LOVE this tradition!! Even though the books aren't new stories, they love the surprise of which book they chose and unwrapping it. They fought over it in the beginning, so I had to have them take turns choosing and opening. :)

I love the wrapping of Christmas books idea!

Ours is pretty simple - the kids get pajamas on Christmas Eve. These are the only presents that are under the tree before Santa comes and I always put it out after BF. My son started to pick up on it so I started wrapping them in big boxes, or putting bells in it, or a bunch of crayons so he would be thrown a little because these presents get PLENTY of shaking before Christmas. :) My youngest was so mad last year when she opened her pajamas she threw them at me and started crying but was quickly happy again when I reminded her about Santa coming. I LOVE Christmas!!

For the past few years DH & I open gifts Christmas night. By the time we get home from visiting with Family it's usually around 7 or 8pm. So we started the tradition of opening presents at night & our stockings Christmas morning. I have to say, I prefer it this way. No rushing to open gifts before we have to leave the house. =)

My husband and I on Christmas eve. after the boys go to bed, open a bottle of champagne, put out all the gifts and watch Its a Wonderful Life and A Christmas Story..... been doing that for 20 yrs.....and can't wait until this year!

Another one we have done the last two years isn't all that different, but maybe some of you haven't heard of it. I have a ton of Christmas books, so I wrap 24 of them and the girls choose one each night to open up and read. They LOVE this tradition!! Even though the books aren't new stories, they love the surprise of which book they chose and unwrapping it. They fought over it in the beginning, so I had to have them take turns choosing and opening. :)

What a wonderful idea!!!!! I LOVE this!!! I wish my kids were still little so we could do this, but at ages 15, 13, and 10 they are too old for it. I might be able to pull it off with my 10 yr. old though. Hmmmm, I might have to consider this idea.

I love the wrapping of Christmas books idea!

Ours is pretty simple - the kids get pajamas on Christmas Eve. These are the only presents that are under the tree before Santa comes and I always put it out after BF. My son started to pick up on it so I started wrapping them in big boxes, or putting bells in it, or a bunch of crayons so he would be thrown a little because these presents get PLENTY of shaking before Christmas. :) My youngest was so mad last year when she opened her pajamas she threw them at me and started crying but was quickly happy again when I reminded her about Santa coming. I LOVE Christmas!!

I like the idea of keeping the pjs under the tree from BF on, fun!!!! I should try this with my kids. Only problem at our house is our pets. Our cat loves to sleep under the tree and the dog tries to chase the cat. They might be better this year though since they are a little older and our dog is more settled now. My kids have been getting new pjs on Christmas eve since they were babies, and my 13 yr. old dd and 10 yr. old ds still look forward to it. My 15 yr old ds could care less, but he still gets new pj pants anyway.

Our different tradition is having Christmas cookies for breakfast on Christmas morning. It started a few years ago when the kids were still little and all 4 were wanting us to help get their new toys assembled and working and we needed a quick breakfast. Cookies were easy to just grab and continue with what we were doing, so we did. Hey, people eat donuts and pop tarts for breakfast, so there isn't much difference, lol. Now the kids are teens and tweens and the tradition has just stuck. Another different tradition also involves food on Christmas eve. We are usually busy finishing up shopping and/or wrapping last minute gifts on Christmas eve then going to Christmas eve church service, so we have a quick dinner before church. A few years ago I started serving a cheese and lunch meat tray and have fancier buns/rolls for it along with a veggie tray and chips. I don't want to cook a big meal since we will have a big meal on Christmas. The kids love it. My 13 yr. old dd calls them "fancy sandwiches" and looks forward to them every year. It just started as a quick and simple meal on a busy day 5 yrs. ago, and it just stuck.

This isn't that unique, but I'll share anyhow. I don't like to do a ton of holiday baking (due to a mix of having a child with food sensitivities and not wanting the temptation being a sweets lover myself), so a few years ago I started a new cookie tradition with my kids. Each night for the week leading up to Christmas, we bake a small batch of cookies- a different one each night. The kids get to have a couple while we read a Christmas story, then the rest get saved. On Christmas Eve, we put a cookie from each day on a platter for Santa, and the remainder get put out on Christmas Day. The kids always get a kick to see which of the cookies Santa liked the best. (he'd get a tummy ache if he tried to eat all 7! ;) ) Also, when I was in grade school my mom started doing cinnamon rolls and sparkling cider for a quick and easy Christmas breakfast, and it's something I do with my family now.

Our different tradition is having Christmas cookies for breakfast on Christmas morning. It started a few years ago when the kids were still little and all 4 were wanting us to help get their new toys assembled and working and we needed a quick breakfast. Cookies were easy to just grab and continue with what we were doing, so we did. Hey, people eat donuts and pop tarts for breakfast, so there isn't much difference, lol. Now the kids are teens and tweens and the tradition has just stuck. Another different tradition also involves food on Christmas eve. We are usually busy finishing up shopping and/or wrapping last minute gifts on Christmas eve then going to Christmas eve church service, so we have a quick dinner before church. A few years ago I started serving a cheese and lunch meat tray and have fancier buns/rolls for it along with a veggie tray and chips. I don't want to cook a big meal since we will have a big meal on Christmas. The kids love it. My 13 yr. old dd calls them "fancy sandwiches" and looks forward to them every year. It just started as a quick and simple meal on a busy day 5 yrs. ago, and it just stuck.

When I was growing up, we always had party leftovers Christmas eve. My dad was a Shriner and also in Sertoma, etc and plus worked at a bank and the department would have a party. There was always leftover dips, meatballs etc and we would just pull it all out and make a meal of it.... Plus it made room in the fridge for all the stuff that would be coming over on Christmas from other relatives.... Now I tend to try to buy a bunch of appetizer stuff and we do a small version of it. We too have eaten cookies for breakfast on Christmas.... when my kids were small we had 2 families to visit so we ate cookies while we opened Santa and then we had lunch a couple of hours later and then a dinner at the other house.

I am seriously thinking of doing The Elf On The Shelf with my older kids. (I hope you can figure out what the elf would do at our house!)..I have teens. That Elf would be into everything!!!!!!!!!!

This will be our fourth year doing Elf on a Shelf. The girls love it!! Last year Buddy came along with Charlie so that each girl will have an elf to use for their kids. I get ideas off Pinterest. So fun and funny. Hubby and I love putting them into crazy situations. Your teens will love it! Maybe they won't admit it but they will love it. :)