Best Buy Upgrade & Save $5 off ANY blu-ray ($9.99 and up) w/trade thru Oct 20

bpr

Best Buy's Upgrade & Save program (in-store only) is back now thru Oct 20th (sorry I didn't post sooner). Trade in any DVD and get a $5 off coupon good for ANY blu-ray $9.99 and up. DVD must be commercially produced in original case(no burned copies) and no adult movies.

Take your used DVDs to Customer Service to receive your $5 off coupon. Limit 5 trade-ins per visit (YMMV).

Some examples (after coupon is applied):

Prometheus $14.99

The Dictator $4.99

Madagascar $4.99

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocal $4.99

LOTS of blu-rays for only $4.99

Ask questions if you need to. Hurry it ends this Saturday!

Edited by bpr

Alright, if I may I shall jump in on this thread to help as I have quite a bit of experience with this promotion which is now running for the 4th or 5th time. Also I am a part of another forum that deals specifically with Blu-rays and partly on deals on Blu-rays and there a thread I'm following where everyone is talking about this promotion has reached 184 pages. Anyways I'll start with two GREAT deals I just grabbed for myself today.

First is Prometheus 3D Blu-ray combo pack (which by the way includes extras not found in the 2D combo pack). Right now if you go to coupons.com, a website I will assume most are familiar with, is offering a $5 off coupon good on Prometheus (3D, 2D or the regular DVD). You take Best Buy's pricing this week for Prometheus, along with the Upgrade & Save plus the manufacturer's coupon I just mentioned and you can get the 3D version for $14.99 and the 2D version for $9.99, again I must state that the 3D version contains extras not in the 2D combo pack and YES the 3D combo pack includes 2D for those who haven't yet any 3D hardware.

Next deal (Now that you've seen what is considered a prequel to the following set) is the Alien Anthology (Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection) on Blu-ray. Again, coupons.com has a $5 off coupon good for this Anthology box set. So combine that coupon with the Upgrade & Save plus this week's $29.99 price at Best Buy and you can score this set for $19.99. That's 4, YES 4 movies for $19.99.

So basically you get a great set for a cheap price and then a NEW release for a great price as well. Can't beat either of those.

Now a couple of things I have learned. One, this Upgrade & Save promotion is good on any Blu-ray, evident by the fact that I and countless others have yet to really be told no. If you are looking for a particular title, start with the SKU and Best Buy's website. If the SKU is an 8 digit SKU then that movie is not carried in any stores, period. If it is a 7 digit SKU then the movie is carried in stores. Said movie being available is another matter. If you want to know if something is available, it is better to call the store rather than rely on the Best Buy website as it can be wrong and has been wrong before.

Two, some cashiers will occasionally try to deny you using a manufacturer's coupon along with the Upgrade & Save from what I and other's have learned there is no policy which states this to be the case. So if a cashier tells you no, ask to speak to a store manager and let said manager tell you no.

Third, let's say there is a particular movie you want, really bad, but ALL the Best Buy's in your area are sold out, and since the Upgrade & Save coupon can't be used online, what do you do. There is two options. First option is to see if your local store offers what is known as Express Lane Checkout. This service available at Customer Service basically allows you to purchase an item in stores to have it delivered to your home. During this you should be able to use and all discounts and/or coupons you have including the Upgrade & Save. Wording on the Upgrade & Save coupon might give a little wiggle room for store managers to tell you no, but so far I've not been told no yet, a few others have though, so this can be YMMV, but never hurts to try. The second option, especially for titles not sold in stores, you can order the title online. Then once you receive it you can take it to the store to return it and then basically rebuy the movie but use an Upgrade & Save coupon this time. This second option really won't work anymore this time around because since the promotion ends on Saturday you wouldn't be likely to receive the online order in time. Also, be careful as I've heard stores will make you wait 2 hours before you can rebuy the movie after returning. I'm not totally sure how this all pans out as I haven't tried.

Fourth, and probably the BIGGEST tip I can give is check all local Dollar Tree stores in your area as most carry $1 DVDs (some also carry $.25 and EVEN $.01 DVDs). You simply buy these $1 DVDs, take off all the shrinkwrap and such (as Best Buy won't accept still wrapped up movies) and then just trade them in. I've done many times now as many people get to a point they no longer have any spare DVDs to trade in. Dollar Trees usually carry a LOT of those Dog Whisperer DVDs, but Best Buy has never complained every time I trade them in. Also, you are giving business to the Dollar Tree stores, so hey, everyone wins.

Fifth, this doesn't exactly pertain to the Upgrade & Save promotion specifically, but remember to keep your receipts because if any movie you bought drops in price no more than 30 days after you bought the movie you can take the receipt back to Best Buy and get a refund for the difference. I've also heard of a number of people having success taking in newly available coupons (or even old ones they just forgot the first time around) and their receipt into Best Buy and getting the coupon applied to their receipt AFTER the fact. Example is the Prometheus coupon that JUST came out yesterday, well some folks have been able to take that coupon into Best Buy and have it applied to their prior purchase of the movie.

As the OP said there isn't much time left to jump on this promotion but I have quite a bit of knowledge with this GREAT promotion so if anyone has any questions, do not be afraid to ask and I shall do my best to answer them.

EDIT: If I may add a couple more good deals to the OPs list.

In addition to Madagascar 1 for $4.99 (After the Upgrade & Save (U&S) coupon) you can get:

Madagascar 2 for $4.99 (After U&S)

Taken (which should most likely include $10 movie cash to see Taken 2) for $4.99 (After U&S)

Fight Club (which should also most likely include $10 movie cash for Taken 2) for $4.99 (After U&S)

The Incredible Hulk (2008) for $4.99 (After U&S)

50/50 for $4.99 (After U&S)

Edited by DaFees

Thanks for the info. Next time I will try to post sooner and maybe use your info to help. I was going to post some FAQs, but since it was near the end, I chose not to. The U&S program is great, but sometimes you do run into headaches sucha as applying a Mfg coupon along w/ the U&S. It can be YMMV based on how competent your BB's employees are. Next one will probably be next year and I will try to get it posted sooner. Who says you can't get blu-rays cheap? ;)

It's true. We were turning in 'good' DVDs then found out about the Dollar Store ones. It works great. It is a quick way to build your blu-ray collection. this last sale wasn't quiet as good. Previous sales I was piling up the blu-rays.