Reciprocating saws??

jakesmommy403

My husband has mentioned that he would like a reciprocating saw for Christmas, but i don't know anything about this and don't want to ask him much because then he'll know what he's getting. So I need some help. What are some good brands? Is this something that might be a good black Friday deal or should i buy any time? Where should I buy from? And cordless or corded? Thanks so much for any help!

Hmmm, well I don't know squat about saws. BUT, I can tell you what the prices were last year for BF:

HarborFreight - Chicago Electric 6 Amp Electric Reciprocating Saw - 19.99

HomeDepot - Dewalt Reciprocating Saw Kit - 99

Kmart - Craftsman Reciprocating Saw - 29.99

hth some. :) Hopefully another GottaDealer will come along w/ brand info.

Dewalt is a good brand. They do have them on Black Friday also. You can check last years Lowes and Home Depot ads to get an idea for this year. Corded/cordless is more of a personal preference. You can always get him a "package" that includes a reciprocating saw if you are going to go cordless. That way, he has everything using 1 battery. You can also get extra batteries later.

You can look at the brand of the power tools he has currently and get him the same brand. He probably prefers whatever brand he has the most of.

The suggestion of looking at your husband's tools to see what brands he uses is a good suggestion. Also note whether his more recent tools are corded or cordless. If he uses cordless with interchangeable batteries (such as Craftsman C3), I would seriously consider getting a saw of the same brand that uses the same batteries.

As noted by others, Dewalt is is good. I also like Sears Craftsman, but their cheapest tools might not be the best anymore (and avoid anything from Sears or K-Mart that is not Craftsman brand). Milwaukee is also good, I believe--I have borrowed one of those of few times. Stay away from Black & Decker, which are cheap but not as good. You might also find a good deal on a Sears Friends and Family sale or special tool sale when one comes along. Makita is a step above B&D, but I think it is a bit below Dewalt, Milwaukee, and some others. (I have a small portable table saw with Craftsman brand, but made by Makita, I think. It has been OK for my use, but not professional grade.)

I only buy Dewalt and I prefer corded power tools. The upside to a corded tool is it not dying on you in the middle of cutting something, that just sucks.

That was kind if what I was thinking with the corded ones but I wasn't sure if the cord would be a burden. I know his hedge trimmer is corded and he has the world's longest extension cord that he plugs into the garage for that, so maybe he would go the same with this. He also needs a new power drill. I'll check the Dewalt stuff since a lot of you are saying they're good! :) I really appreciate the help.

I just asked DH and he said if he is going to use it at home a lot then he would go cordless. Check to see if he has a cordless drill and what brand, the larger drill batteries will fit the saw which will come with its own battery but he would then have a backup if they are the same size battery.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ace BF ad has a Milwaukee Sawzall reciprocating saw for $89.99 ($30 off regular price of $119.99). This is a corded model. Ace Hardware SKU 2033090, Milwaukee model number 6509-31.

Note that this model has a 3/4 inch stroke length, which according to the Milwaukee web site, is the shortest stroke of all their models (all others are 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 inch).

The Ace BF ad has a Milwaukee Sawzall reciprocating saw for $89.99 ($30 off regular price of $119.99). This is a corded model. Ace Hardware SKU 2033090, Milwaukee model number 6509-31.

Note that this model has a 3/4 inch stroke length, which according to the Milwaukee web site, is the shortest stroke of all their models (all others are 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 inch).

I saw that too and was wondering if that's what I want for him. Is that a good one? Maybe I need to get up there and see it in person after Sandy moves through. I don't even know what you use this kind of saw for, so I don't know what a good stroke would be. Thanks so much for telling me about that being the shortest, I didn't know there were different ones.

My husbands is a Milwaukee, but it is 20 years old. He says Milwaukee tools are no longer made well and not to buy them. You can use them for anything. Cutting a bolt, a tree limb, a small piece of plastic, it's like a small electric hand saw. He used it today to cut the tail pipe on my son's project truck.

I saw that too and was wondering if that's what I want for him. Is that a good one? Maybe I need to get up there and see it in person after Sandy moves through. I don't even know what you use this kind of saw for, so I don't know what a good stroke would be. Thanks so much for telling me about that being the shortest, I didn't know there were different ones.

The short stroke length (the distance that the blade moves back and forth) gives me pause on this particular model. I am not convinced that Milwaukees are not good as some others say, but this is clearly the cheapest of their many models. Be sure to consider both horsepower and stroke length and keep in mind that all Milwaukees are not equal, nor are all Dewalts or Craftsmans. Unfortuntely, nothing is that simple.

Most important, and especially because this is for your husband, no matter what you buy, put the receipt in an envelope and tell him that if he wants a different model he should not hesitate to return it! (I do that with many gifts.)

[quote name=mcwalker;1973354

Most important' date=' and especially because this is for your husband, no matter what you buy, put the receipt in an envelope and tell him that if he wants a different model he should not hesitate to return it! (I do that with many gifts.)[/quote]

I agree with this. We made an agreement early in our marriage that I wouldn't purchase tools for my dh. I have asked if he wanted something before the holiday, but if I give him something, I would give him the ability to return it.

Good luck with the choices out there.

What I would do, is look and see what brands of cordless tools he has now.

Then find out which are 19 volts and above. Higher voltage is better.

Check these brands for reciprocating saws, and see if the saw battery will fit both items.

Then I would get a saw based on my findings as long as it was not Black and Decker, Sears, not Craftsman, or any from Harbor Freight.

Batteries are expensive, and chargers take up an outlet and counter or wall space, so you are trying to save future money and space.

I bought the Craftsman 4 pc. 19.2 volt combo years ago. Needed the reciprocating saw, used it to cut a car in half at the junk yard.

I needed the rear of the car, used two batteries, was very easy to cut thru the sides and frame. Flashlight comes in handy.

Replaced my 14 volt Craftsman drill with the new 19.2 volt one, Never used the 14 volt again.

I also have a corded reciprocating saw. Never have used it. Always have used the cordless.