What to get 12yo DS?!!!

Jen8112

My DH never has a clue what we get for DS14 until he opens them Christmas morning. I guess we have a nice little setup... He doesn't want to be included in the shopping, so I can buy what I want. DS14 is very into video games, too, and he always has plenty of them on his list. I usually split em up between myself and his 2 grandmas so he's not getting so many vgs under our tree, though, cause it looks so depressing with all those small boxes. His fav things right now besides his games and systems are his Ipad2, and his laptop and he loves his Ibeat headphones. I don't think his Ipad2 is ever outta his sight, even when he's playing his games, it's always nearby.

Oh, my DS14 either. I would never hear the end of it if I bought him clothes.

You know what, DH has never had a say or wanted one. For some reason this year he decides to give his two cents. I think I'm just gonna get whatever I want just like the last 11 years. :)

I never used to buy my kids clothes but they never used to care what they wear. Now that they are into Hollister, Abercrombie, and even Aero and a pair of jeans can cost $80 (I have never paid that) I will shop all year and pick up stuff from these stores (not counting when I take them back to school shopping) and they are included under the tree. On top of that this year I have no idea what to get my DS16 will be 17 on 12/21. DS has a tablet, desktop computer (does not want a laptop) ipod touch (which he no longer uses) just got the iphone 5, beats headphones, Turtle beach headset etc. He has everything...

I plan on giving him cash in various boxes since he has his permit and hopes to have his license by March so will probably be looking for a car then. At least with the clothes it also fills up under the tree. The only video games DS is asking for is Halo4 and Borderlands2. I have one pre ordered and already purchased the other but not sure how long can hold onto it since DS says he will walk over to Walmart from school and buy it if he does not get it soon...

argggg TEENS!!!

Lol. I'm glad neither of my kids are into name brand cloths. DD7 just wants them to be cute and DS12 only cares if they fit. Lol

You know what, DH has never had a say or wanted one. For some reason this year he decides to give his two cents. I think I'm just gonna get whatever I want just like the last 11 years. :)

Ah, my favorite motto: Its easier to ask forgiveness than permission..... Maybe he will back off his stance before Christmas, anyway. My DH couldn't say no vgs for DS14 anyway, because he loves em just as much as DS does. :rolleyes:

My oldest son is 11. He will be 12 in November. He is very hard to buy for too. He already has everything (in my opinion, not in his). He has already made his birthday list (which will probably be broken down into his birthday and Christmas). He wants

A new northface jacket

An Iphone 5

the new ipod touch (he has an ipad and the itouch from last year, think it was the 4)

customized beats headphones

another Xbox 360 so he doesnt have to share with his brother anymore

and some nike gym shoes that cost $250.00

He thinks he will get all of this for his birthday. I will probably get him the iphone 5 and then get a few other things for Christmas.

My oldest son is 11. He will be 12 in November. He is very hard to buy for too. He already has everything (in my opinion, not in his). He has already made his birthday list (which will probably be broken down into his birthday and Christmas). He wants

A new northface jacket

An Iphone 5

the new ipod touch (he has an ipad and the itouch from last year, think it was the 4)

customized beats headphones

another Xbox 360 so he doesnt have to share with his brother anymore

and some nike gym shoes that cost $250.00

He thinks he will get all of this for his birthday. I will probably get him the iphone 5 and then get a few other things for Christmas.

Ya I'm getting DS an iPhone, not the 5, for his bday in Aug. There is no reason he needs an iPhone 5 and a new iPod so you can save money there. I'm so glad DS isn't into brands. I just got him some Champion sneakers on sale for $10 at PayLess and he's perfectly happy with them. Lol

Does your son like any particular sports team? My 2 oldest boys are Steelers fans, so we always get them some sort of Steelers clothes and stuff for Christmas and birthdays. My 15 yr. old also decided this year that Addidas is his favorite brand, why I have no idea, but it makes it easy to buy stuff for him knowing he likes this brand. I too don't buy much clothes for my kids aside from their new Christmas eve pjs, but I do get the boys clothes with their favorite team on it and they always like that. Good luck. This is a difficult age to buy for. I have 3 boys ages 23, 15, and 10 and a 13 yr. old girl. My girl is so much easier to shop for. I have tons of ideas for gifts and stocking stuffers for her, but have to rack my brain to come up with things for the boys, especially my 15 yr. old.

Does your son like any particular sports team? My 2 oldest boys are Steelers fans, so we always get them some sort of Steelers clothes and stuff for Christmas and birthdays. My 15 yr. old also decided this year that Addidas is his favorite brand, why I have no idea, but it makes it easy to buy stuff for him knowing he likes this brand. I too don't buy much clothes for my kids aside from their new Christmas eve pjs, but I do get the boys clothes with their favorite team on it and they always like that. Good luck. This is a difficult age to buy for. I have 3 boys ages 23, 15, and 10 and a 13 yr. old girl. My girl is so much easier to shop for. I have tons of ideas for gifts and stocking stuffers for her, but have to rack my brain to come up with things for the boys, especially my 15 yr. old.

He's not that into sports. He only cares about video games. Lol

• 4 weeks later...

DS will be 13 in January. I was struggling to figure out what to buy him. Dh and I talked about an xbox, but he really isn't a big gamer. He is really into hunting, so we will most likely stick to that sort of a theme. So far this is what I have come up with for ideas.

ipod touch 4th generation

ipod case

a gun case for his youth rifle (already purchased)

camo backpack

camo lunchpail

maybe a few games for the psp ( usually buy second hand at gamestop)

some hunting related items (still waiting on dh for ideas)

hoodies

cabelas gift card

rootbeer making kit (I got this idea from another board) He usually gets a 6 pack of rootbeer under the tree so I might change it up a bit this year.

He did ask for one thing (it's a game I think) called Roxx. I have no idea what it is...

I have a 13 and 15 year old. I struggle for ideas too. They have asked for clothes this year (a first). They want Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour. They also are into wearing Nike elite socks to school. They want all different colors. What about winter things? (if you live where it snows) Sleds, snowball makers, snowboards, or gift card to local ski lodge? I have been getting them the gift sets with men's cologne or body wash. Anything to encourage good hygeine. :) We also started them on a tool collection. We started with a tool box and every year we add a new tool like, a hammer, screwdriver set, wrenches, etc. They have used some of them already. We buy them craftsman so they will hold up for years. This way, by the time they graduate from college, they will have their own set of good tools. We have also got them special cooking sets like a waffle maker w/mix, a dounut maker w/mix, and such. They love taking out their machines and making snacks or breakfast for them and their friends. Add a cookbook too! I've tried anything to get them interested in someting other than video games. Good luck! Hope this helps.

As a mom of 4 boys I am reading this list intently. Mine are 14, 10, 8, & 4. I like the toolbox idea, my 14 yo is totally into things he can take when he moves out. I bought him a desk & bookshelves he can take for his birthday. 2 years ago in let him pick furniture in the IKEA catalog & got him a bookshelf. Another son picked a nightstand. My eldest likes clothes from Hot Topic (mostly tshirts) & Axe products. My tip, it's much harder to put on too much body wash vs the body spray + it encourages him to shower! :) He collects mugs (no idea why) & hats. I'll get him something to display his hats this time & likely another mug.

I pick up video games here & there and good mechanical pencils, pens, etc...

This year he wants an ipod nano & a laptop. He also decided to start fishing & wants great fishing gear. He's saving to buy a car, and now he wants to be an exchange student so he's looking for cash for that too.

Thank you so much I really like the idea of starting a tool stash for my DS16. Had DH look at the Sears ad and we will be getting him a mechanics tool set and some screwdrivers to start him off. His Birthday is 4 days before Xmas so will look about getting him some other stuff from us and his Grandpa. He hopes to get a car next year so mechanics tools will work great for him. DH also likes buying tools so it makes him happy to pick out tools for him (and not buy for himself!!!)

I have a 13 and 15 year old. I struggle for ideas too. They have asked for clothes this year (a first). They want Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour. They also are into wearing Nike elite socks to school. They want all different colors. What about winter things? (if you live where it snows) Sleds, snowball makers, snowboards, or gift card to local ski lodge? I have been getting them the gift sets with men's cologne or body wash. Anything to encourage good hygeine. :) We also started them on a tool collection. We started with a tool box and every year we add a new tool like, a hammer, screwdriver set, wrenches, etc. They have used some of them already. We buy them craftsman so they will hold up for years. This way, by the time they graduate from college, they will have their own set of good tools. We have also got them special cooking sets like a waffle maker w/mix, a dounut maker w/mix, and such. They love taking out their machines and making snacks or breakfast for them and their friends. Add a cookbook too! I've tried anything to get them interested in someting other than video games. Good luck! Hope this helps.

What about some books, "I Survived" by Lauren Tarshis is a great set about things that happened in our history without going overboard, its a popular set to read for kids that age and not extremely thick and time consuming, at least it may get him away from screens for awhile. If you want to give him cash this is a neat idea.

http://pinterest.com/pin/268597565246275257/