What would you do - Gift Request options

nikkilugi

My mom said my dad was talking about how he could write a book but that he doesn't like to type. She suggested I get him the computer software Dragon Naturally Speaking for him for Christmas. I did some looking and I see that the software is $99 for the home version 12 which is a brand new version release. I went on Amazon and the cost is $72 right now for the v12. However, the v11 is only $25. I am really liking the $25 price tag since my budget is usually only $50 each for my parents. Would it seem cheap for me to buy the version 11 even though the version 12 is now out? Honestly the reviews are pretty mixed down the middle for people who like the software and people who don't. I understand there is a big training/learning curve to use it and it can be touchy and complicated. I see the version 12 is supposed to be 20% more accurate according to the Dragon spiel. I am just thinking I really don't want to spend $70+ on something that my dad may or may not end up liking and using.

What would you do? Buy the newest version or buy the previous one at a substantial discount off of regular price?

Thanks in advance for the help and opinions.

I agree, double check the pc requirements. If either will work for his pc and if he's not a techy person per say, then I'd go with the v11 to keep it in your budget. It does come with it's own headset, and it's a wonderful program - I used to have this software and truly enjoyed it.

You could also include a ream of paper for him to start print out his book when he gets to that point, or an inexpensive flash drive to store his book on.

I think either will work with his PC. His computer is pretty up to date and it seems the Dragon software has been updated pretty regularly - the v 11 and 12 both run on Windows 7 or XP.

He is not super techy but does play a lot of pc games. I don't think it will be on sale on BF - at least I have never seen it go on sale. I was pretty impressed that Amazon had it for the $72 price tag for the newest version. Once I saw the previous version though I did like that price a lot better and it really does fit better in my budget and honestly I don't think he would care either way. I might ask my mom what she thinks too since she was the one who suggested it to me.

Thanks for the opinions :)

Probably the v11 would be fine. I have heard many good things about the program from different types of people, I think that would make a nice gift if he has a need for it.

And I just looked at last year's lists, and Staples did have it on sale on BF, for $39.99. So maybe you could wait a bit longer to see if this year's version will be on sale, then make your decision.

I think you could probably get the v11 and it would be fine. That's such a great deal! I'm all for updates and everything, but I can't see there being a huge difference and you can always get a more updated version for him in the future if you think he needs one. If he's anything like my dad he'll get used to the version you buy for him and never want to upgrade anyway. He's going to love it, such an awesome gift!

having looked at the "upgrades" it doesn't look to be worth the extra $ ESPECIALLY if he's not super tech saavy. Now if he was up on his pc stuff 100% and an extremist, he could even be offended it's not the most up to date thing but it doesn't sound like that's him. Maybe check one of those Amazon price checkers on it and see if the price is usually steady around $25 and hold off until more BF ads come out or just go for it IF it's still a good price and you don't want to risk it.

I did talk to my mom and she said he wouldn't care and encouraged me to get the v11 for him. She thought that would be more than sufficient for him and what he "might or might not" do with it. She knows he likes to talk about writing but she isn't totally convinced he will do it. I know she would like for him to try though and this will do the trick we think.