Holiday Tipping mailman/garbage men/doormen...

Guest Frieked

Since our garbage men are so nice I usually tip 15 to 20 for the people who handle it and 10 for the driver. My mailman we give 25. and all others like hairdresser like 25-30 and paperboy 15-20 depending on how how early the paper gets here. Is this average? Everyone on my block does the same amount so I do what everyone is doing.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.:holiday01

wow..my little ole country town must be way different..lol. I have never tipped any of the above for the holidays...I knew alot of people did...but frankly, I couldn't afford to if I wanted..not that many people. If I did it would be our mail carrier who goes out of his way for us (he is new).

Question - how do you tip your garbage men? Ours come at 5 in the morning and only breeze buy for the garbage, not like they stop to collect money from us or anything.

This year, we will be tipping our mailman at least - we haven't in the past, only because at our old house, the mailman was terrible!! So this year it'll probably be cookies and some money. :)

Don't forget your regular pizza delivery guys or the cashier at the gas station or deli you stop at every morning for coffee or the waitress at your favorite little restaurant that you go to once a week. These people would even just appreciate a plate of cookies. I work at a pizzeria as the waitress/counter person and the nicest man who gets pizza every friday always hands my atleast $50 before christmas and tells me to get my kids something. He is so sweet!

I tip the newspaper guy a fiver. He would get more, but I get several papers wet, and even more go missing. He only gets it because he sticks a card with his name and address in the paper right after Thanksgiving. My mailman might get a tip this year. The mistakes have been drastically reduced from last year, but mail still goes missing and I had to pay a late fee on a credit card because it was never delivered. The garbage men have forgotten to pick up my trash so many times this year that they can just kiss it.

We always tip our mailgirl 20.00. She always has a smile, even when she's making her third trip of the week to our house to deliver a package. I know she probably hates us, but you would never know it-great girl. Garbage men-10.00 each. My hairdresser-a 20.00 gift certificate to a decent restaurant; besides I tip her after every visit anyway

I am with the above poster--WHY would you tip for someone doing their job??? My husband is in the Air Force active duty--no one EVER tips him, I think he should qualify for one heck of a tip though.

I don't tip at Christmas, they are doing their jobs, usually nothing more.

I pay for my newspaper, therefore they get paid

I pay my taxes, therefore my mailcarrier gets paid

I pay for my haircut and tip each time, hairdresser (owner) gets paid

That's how it works.

Ok, so my dh is not the nicest person. He wants to get a Christmas card for the mailman and tape it to the mailbox post so he has to get out of his car to get it and on the inside he wants to write: "I thought you were allowed to get out of your car."

The mail people say they are not allowed to get out of their vehicles, so if there is something in the way, you just don't get your mail that day! For example, the trash can from trash pick up. It didn't start out in front of my mailbox, but that is where the trash man left it!!! Wrong, wrong, wrong in my book. When you look at some of those folks, the exercise might do them some good! Also, I couldn't tip because we do not get our mail until at least 5pm, that is the earliest. We've gotten mail at 7:30 at night. This is crazy to me.

Boy you guys are certainly more generous than me! I've never even seen our mailman, garbage man and paperboy. Plus the fact that since we live in a townhome community I have to walk to block to get my mail "outside". Nope, my taxes are about 2,500 a year for virtually a postage stamp piece of property and the prices I pay for garbage/water combined, forget it. I can't get away without a $65.00 a month bill. Last month it was $128 because I had a running toilet. Nope, they get paid well enough. Sorry to be a scrooge.

I am with the above poster--WHY would you tip for someone doing their job??? My husband is in the Air Force active duty--no one EVER tips him, I think he should qualify for one heck of a tip though.

I don't tip at Christmas, they are doing their jobs, usually nothing more.

I pay for my newspaper, therefore they get paid

I pay my taxes, therefore my mailcarrier gets paid

I pay for my haircut and tip each time, hairdresser (owner) gets paid

That's how it works.

All I was saying is that it would be nice to show the people that provide you with a service atleast once a week that you appreciate them even if its only with a plate of cookies. It may be there job but if they do it day in and day out and smile and chat with you everytime you come in for a cup of coffee it wouldnt kill you to show them a little kindness during the holidays. And I feel sorry for your paper boy, mailcarrier and hairdresser.

The only person I tip is the garbage guy. He's great at not checking my recyclables (sp??) to make sure they are clean enough. But other than that, I agree that tipping everyone you hire to do a job is already getting paid. I work too. Most of us work. I don't expect to get a tip to do the job I was hired to do.

All I was saying is that it would be nice to show the people that provide you with a service atleast once a week that you appreciate them even if its only with a plate of cookies. It may be there job but if they do it day in and day out and smile and chat with you everytime you come in for a cup of coffee it wouldnt kill you to show them a little kindness during the holidays. And I feel sorry for your paper boy, mailcarrier and hairdresser.

You know what, how many of US work hard in our jobs and what appreciation do we get? I could probably count on one hand somebody says thank you. But make a mistake or a typo and watch out!

Guest Frieked

The only person I tip is the garbage guy. He's great at not checking my recyclables (sp??) to make sure they are clean enough. But other than that, I agree that tipping everyone you hire to do a job is already getting paid. I work too. Most of us work. I don't expect to get a tip to do the job I was hired to do.

lol, I never clean my recyclables