Opening time predictions or news?

jakesmommy403

I was out and about for 23 hours straight! My sister and I met at WM at about 8pm on Thanksgiving. After that we went to home depot, kohl's, best buy, kmart, staples, etc. (all in town). Had breakfast at Denny's at about 3:30am while shopping online. Then headed out of town to Sears, bath and bodyworks, target, the mall. Had lunch at Carl's jr. about 11:30am. Then went to Costco and further out of town to more costco's (looking for a particular item) and sears grand to pick up an online order. Left sears grand at 2pm towards home (drank a 5 hr energy drink at this point). Stopped at more stores on the way home. Made it home about 6-6:30pm, crashed at 7pm (exactly 5 hours). Slept well into the next day. Don't forget, I had also been up since at least 12 hours before we met to start shopping. It was fun, but very tiring. I am not sure if I like this better than starting early on Friday morning. And all the while I received comments everywhere I went on my gottadeal.com black friday t-shirt! Edited by mgreen
additional comment

The trend seems to be earlier and earlier every year, I figure a few more years and it's going to be smack dab in the middle of Thursday/Thanksgiving. That being said, I would love to see them roll it back to the 4/5am opening times, making it truly Black FRIDAY. Seems the Thursday 10/midnight openings have brought out double the crowds and lots more teenagers just lingering around the mall last year. No money to spend, and just in the way IMO.

For me, the night openings are turning into a deal breaker. I can get everything I want for great prices throughout Nov & Dec online it seems now-a-days, if I'm willing to look hard enough. If the opening times are night time again, this will be the first time in 20 years I don't go. I am just not willing to give up my holiday time by napping, and I was too tired last year to really enjoy it. I will go in the morning around 6am and see what deals I can still find at places like Target and such.

Don't like the early times. BF has always been the one time of the year when you get a lot more for your hard earned dollar. The average BF person shops for that reason alone. However with the earlier times, the stores are inviting folks who come to just "hang out" similar to what happens when you go to the mall during the later part of the day. Some of these folks are still under the influence coming straight from their holiday celebrations. I remember last year having to try and go around people who were just hanging around the mall at 2am because it was just a place to hang out. When the stores opened at the later times, the crowds consisted of a majority die hard BF shoppers who were there with purpose of doing some hard core shopping. I think these earlier times are inviting trouble. We are buying as much we can online so we don't have to be out as long with the extra people "hanging out" and causg trouble resulting from the earlier times.

I completely agree. It's not people who save and plan all year anymore, its anyone who just happened to see the newspaper and wants something to do. More drunk people, teenagers looking for trouble, people with their entire gaggle of kids etc. They just get in the way, slow things down, get angry/impatient because they don't understand the flow of things and made last year a crap experience. I'm sure stores will keep their 10pm or earlier opening times and I will shop regardless, but it has taken a lot of the fun and camaraderie out of it.