Opening time predictions or news?

jakesmommy403

So after all the hubbub surrounding the early BF start times last year, I'm wondering if anyone knows if that was an experiment or the new norm? I personally liked the early start at WM. I cleaned up from Thanksgiving, had a cup of coffee, and my BF buddy and I got there at 9:30 for the 10 pm sales. For me it was easier than staying up all night or waking up super early. What are your thoughts? Will we see more of that this year? Did you love it or hate it?

someone elsewhere posted that their Walmart has the hours posted at registers (opening at 1am in MA).

I prefer the morning hours since I usually spend a few days straight before BF getting online deals/planning and the such so a few hours sleep helps. If everywhere opened at close enough times during night hours I may get to sleep earlier but honestly I got very little in stores last year and hope to do the same this year.

I personally hate the earlier times. Thanksgiving is an important holiday in my house and I don't want to spend any of it out of my house or worrying about rushing to get deals. I always hit midnight madness at the outlets then would hit kmart while my dh hit target at 5ish. Now with everything opening early I need to choose between all the stores and outlets and last year was a mess for me. This year my bff is going out of town so I lost my bf buddy, so Im waiting for ads and times to come up with a plan that will hopefully work better then last year...

I liked the early mornings best. Got to spend Thanksgiving with the family, get a few hours sleep and then shopping. It also seemed that there were fewer people out and angry that early but it could just be me.

I would agree with this. If they do the early thing I'm destine to never get a door buster again because I refuse to give up my thanksgiving.

I guess it depends on where you live, then. We didn't have to compromise our Thanksgiving at all because everyone leaves our house around 8-8:30 anyway (we start the party at noon), so it worked out that we had time for coffee and then up to Walmart for the sales to start, then came home to get some sleep. But I can see if you have a long drive to the stores or if you're in an area where people line up how that could be a problem. Hmmm. I hated the midnight openings because I had too much time to sit around, and I hated the 5 a.m. openings because I don't want to get up early the day after a holiday.

I liked the early mornings best. Got to spend Thanksgiving with the family, get a few hours sleep and then shopping. It also seemed that there were fewer people out and angry that early but it could just be me.

I totally agree. I spend most of Thanksgiving morning and afternoon working at a Thanksgiving feast/clothes closet activity for homeless, then we do Thanksgiving at our house around 5- by the time the last guests are gone... usually around 9 - I am wiped out. If I can't have a few hours sleep I'm useless. :)

I personally liked the early start at WM. I cleaned up from Thanksgiving, had a cup of coffee, and my BF buddy and I got there at 9:30 for the 10 pm sales. For me it was easier than staying up all night or waking up super early. What are your thoughts? Will we see more of that this year? Did you love it or hate it?

I agree. I liked the early start time. We headed to wal mart after eating our pumpkin pie and we were home and in bed by 1:00. Got up around 8 am and headed out again for more shopping. I got just about everything I wanted and got my sleep too. I hope they do it this way again this year.

I don't care what time they decide to open this year, I am NOT going out before 3 am. I did the all nighter last time and it wasn't as much fun because we were completely exhausted by the time the sun came up. I didn't have the energy or interest to look for the deals by the time 6am rolled around. Also, it seemed like a lot of time was wasted waiting for stores to open. I told myself that this year I would wait and go out at my normal time - getting up around 3am picking my friend up and get to the first store around 4am.

I don't care what time they decide to open this year, I am NOT going out before 3 am. I did the all nighter last time and it wasn't as much fun because we were completely exhausted by the time the sun came up. I didn't have the energy or interest to look for the deals by the time 6am rolled around. Also, it seemed like a lot of time was wasted waiting for stores to open. I told myself that this year I would wait and go out at my normal time - getting up around 3am picking my friend up and get to the first store around 4am.

I'm with u. 2 yrs ago I went out on Thursday night. By the time I was done, I was exhausted. No fun. Last year I decided to go back to a normal bf time of 3 am and I still got everything I wanted and no standing outside in the cold waiting for the store to open.

I am happy that the stores here can't open til midnight or later! I refuse to miss any family time on Thanksgiving! Usually my Walmart opens at 4am, will probably be 1am this year? Old Navy & some stores in the Mall opened at 12:30am last year, Target was either 12 or 1am.

My wife works and Walmart (a supercenter) and the scuttlebutt there is that they will start at 8PM Thursday.

That would be a bit too early for a lot of people, I would think. At that point, you're sacrificing holiday time to shop and that just not going to fly for many people, myself included. I like the 10 p.m. sales though. I can shop, come home and sleep, and then head out again in the morning. I'll be interested to see if they follow through with the 8:00 idea. I can see that not working out so well.

You just might have to live with the leavings and slim pickings then. You may try "5 Hour Energy" to get you through the time change.

You just might have to live with the leavings and slim pickings then. You may try "5 Hour Energy" to get you through the time change.

If you're going to try this, test it beforehand. I'd have to have it ruin anyone's BF.

Those drinks have varying degrees on functionality for people. It does nothing for me but works for some coworkers and makes another feel super jittery/sick.

Last year some of the drugstores had some energy strips free-after-whatever. I tried some of those and they kept me going for the rest of the morning. Hoping someone will have them free again this year! :)

5 hr energy works so-so on me, but my husband lives by it...

it doesnt bother me so much. i guess since i dont have any family on my side and its just my dh's family and he wont stay there long since its a row home and over 12 kids will be running around were pretty much in and out! so i started i think midnight at TRU but i was there at like 10 i think and was among the first 100 in line to get the extra coupons which was really great. i think from there i went to Walmart and Target then the outlet mall. I know i did Mart TG morning too

The exact same thing happened to us! Drinking coffee at McDonalds at 4:30 a.m. after 3 stores and on our way to 4 more and completely wiped out due to no sleep at all. Went home to bed about 7:30 and felt much worse than past years when we'd sleep from 11 p.m.-2 a.m. and stay out until 10 or 11 a.m.

Plus, crowds seemed bigger and crabbier than years past. People just didn't go to bed after Thanksgiving.

What we also observed was that we were able to get almost everything we wanted even hours after the stores had opened (plus the crowds had really cleared out). So despite temptation, we'll start about 3 a.m. too regardless of the opening time.

Don't like the early times. BF has always been the one time of the year when you get a lot more for your hard earned dollar. The average BF person shops for that reason alone. However with the earlier times, the stores are inviting folks who come to just "hang out" similar to what happens when you go to the mall during the later part of the day. Some of these folks are still under the influence coming straight from their holiday celebrations. I remember last year having to try and go around people who were just hanging around the mall at 2am because it was just a place to hang out. When the stores opened at the later times, the crowds consisted of a majority die hard BF shoppers who were there with purpose of doing some hard core shopping. I think these earlier times are inviting trouble. We are buying as much we can online so we don't have to be out as long with the extra people "hanging out" and causing trouble resulting from the earlier times.

Some of these folks are still under the influence coming straight from their holiday celebrations. I remember last year having to try and go around people who were just hanging around the mall at 2am because it was just a place to hang out. When the stores opened at the later times, the crowds consisted of a majority die hard BF shoppers who were there with purpose of doing some hard core shopping. I think these earlier times are inviting trouble. We are buying as much we can online so we don't have to be out as long with the extra people "hanging out" and causing trouble resulting from the earlier times.

This is my #1 problem with the midnight and earlier time openings. The customers that had been drinking really bothered me.

The exact same thing happened to us! Drinking coffee at McDonalds at 4:30 a.m. after 3 stores and on our way to 4 more and completely wiped out due to no sleep at all. Went home to bed about 7:30 and felt much worse than past years when we'd sleep from 11 p.m.-2 a.m. and stay out until 10 or 11 a.m.

Plus, crowds seemed bigger and crabbier than years past. People just didn't go to bed after Thanksgiving.

What we also observed was that we were able to get almost everything we wanted even hours after the stores had opened (plus the crowds had really cleared out). So despite temptation, we'll start about 3 a.m. too regardless of the opening time.

I agree completely!

That would be a bit too early for a lot of people, I would think. At that point, you're sacrificing holiday time to shop and that just not going to fly for many people, myself included. I like the 10 p.m. sales though. I can shop, come home and sleep, and then head out again in the morning. I'll be interested to see if they follow through with the 8:00 idea. I can see that not working out so well.

I agree... 8 pm way too early

I loved the early start! It's perfect for my family. We eat Thanksgiving dinner around 2 or 3, clean up and relax for a bit. Last year I got in line at TRU 2 hours before they opened which was about the time that my husband was getting the kids ready for bed. Once I got out of TRU, I got to the mall just as they were opening. I hope they do the same this year.

Last year when WM opened early all the door busters were gone before the sale started because they let everyone in even thought you couldn't buy any thing and people were opening the pods in the store. It was chaotic and a lot if people were mad that they came in 2-3 hours early for door busters but they were already gone. I hate the early start time I got everything I wanted last year but, I was so exhausted and felt sick but I had to come home to take care of the kids. 2 days with no sleep. Plus I felt rushed on thanksgiving to cook eat and clean and go through ads before I could leave for my hour drive to the stores. I have my fingers crossed for the normal 3ish am opening times.