Tear jerker Black Friday story

smorebore

I have a student who is an orphan and is living with an aunt. HORRIBLE situation for her. Today, she randomly comes up and asks if I am familiar with Black Friday. We begin to talk and I mention this website. She becomes so excited...we talk and talk. Then she tells me that she has earned $200.00 and is waiting for Black Friday so she can give her sister the best Christmas EVER. UGH! I had to fight back the tears. WOW......just WOW.

We have already done a lot for this family. It is just so sad.....the things we take for granted.

And for each child you learn of like this, how many others don't you know about? We try to adopt at least one family for the holidays every year, but its just heartbreaking sometimes when you see how many people are in need and you just can't help everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a tearjerker. But what a great story to hear to help remind us all what Christmas is about. I know I personally get so caught up in what I am getting all of my kids and making sure they have a great Christmas. Last year we started getting gifts for kids who are in our local Child Services. I made sure my children were involved in purchasing, wrapping...etc. I really like knowing I am purchasing a specific gift a child in need has asked for.

Anyway - thanks for the reminder. I love reading the stories from others and what they do to help co-workers, friends, strangers. Really makes you think.