Suggestion for a tablet for hubby's bday??? something affordable but decent?

Bought the Pandigital supernova off QVC for Christmas for him..but that was a nightmare. The dang thing dropped wifi and wouldn't reconnect after just a few days of using! Seems it was a major defect in them when I went to qvc and checked the reviews on it...they were being added daily and that was everyones complaint. So it got returned. So his bday is on Valentines and I'm on the hunt for a new tablet. Can't afford an iPad. Would like to keep it under 250.00 and possibly something on a payment plan...like from qvc or hsn? Don't know which one to go with on there though. Would be nice if it took pics and video like the supernova did too. He liked that.

My son 15, got the fire for xmas. He said it's the best present he's ever gotten. He watches netflix in bed every night and has loads of fun apps . I don't buy from places like qvc or hsn, I feel it's throwing away good money. Best to just pay the 199 from amazon, then you deal with them for all your needs. If it breaks, they will ship you a new one immediately and give you 30 days to return the damaged one. I can't say enough good about them.

Second on the Thrive. Got my DS15 one for Christmas, and he loves it. Has camera, gps, and also full size SD slots, HDMI, and USB. We bought him a case with a keyboard in it, and he can take it to school to take notes, and it's like having a netbook, then he uses it like a tablet at home. He puts his comic books on it, and his Kindle books as well. He has the smaller one (8GB), and is doing fine on space so far.

My husband has offered him a couple times to switch it with his iPad. He didn't go for that... :)

My son 15, got the fire for xmas. He said it's the best present he's ever gotten. He watches netflix in bed every night and has loads of fun apps . I don't buy from places like qvc or hsn, I feel it's throwing away good money. Best to just pay the 199 from amazon, then you deal with them for all your needs. If it breaks, they will ship you a new one immediately and give you 30 days to return the damaged one. I can't say enough good about them.

i agree; the only time I bought from QVC it was junk.

My kids got tablets for Xmas. DD13 got the Acer Iconia A500 and DS16 got the Asus Transformer with additional keyboard. They love them. I paid under $200 for the Acer and $249 for the Transformer plus an additional $100 for the keyboard. I much prefer them to the Kindle Fire since they both have cameras, and microsd slots. Got them both the 16gb versions and just purchased microSD cards for them to increase the memory.

We use them at swim meets to video their races then transfer to my laptop and the videos are great. The still pictures come out great also.

I am now researching to get myself a tablet. I know that there is a new Acer out and there is supposed to be a new Asus coming out that will be under $250. My requirements for mine will be Tegra3 chip, cameras, HDMI and SD/MicroSD slots.

I can't say enough about the tablets we have and would recommend them highly!!