What is Gottadeal Signatures Rules

davidbugs

• 2 weeks later...

I just added an image to my sig and now it's not showing up. Actually, I can't see anyone's signature at all.

http://forums.gottadeal.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

I have all these enabled:

Show Signatures

Show Avatars

Show Images (including attached images and images in code)

My signature does show up on the Preview Post screen, though.

Has GottaDeal disabled all signatures on the forums or is there just something wrong in my profile settings?

I'm a little confused. What does a signature (either text or a remote image) have to do with site traffic? It can't use more bandwidth (since they wouldn't be hosted locally) so is it just more of a courtesy to those visitors who might be using dialup or some other slower type of internet connection?

I guess it does kind of make things easier to read without signatures, regardless of the bandwidth concerns.

I don't want it to sound like I'm complaining; I'm just curious.

Your signature is stored in the forum database (the actual code for it - not the images themselves) so retrieving that data every time someone views a thread does have some impact on the server. Plus like you said not having them makes things load faster for everyone, which is important when things are busy.

RossMAN, when you talked about signature sizes being too big, did you mean physical size (mine was 480 x 160) or file size (16k)?

I usually try to keep sig pics on forums at a limit of around 400x200 100k, so I guess 480 might stretch the screen a little bit for people using 800x600.

RossMAN, when you talked about signature sizes being too big, did you mean physical size (mine was 480 x 160) or file size (16k)?

I usually try to keep sig pics on forums at a limit of around 400x200 100k, so I guess 480 might stretch the screen a little bit for people using 800x600.

Physical size.