SodaStream @ Kohl's for 52.99 after rebate and discount

setlok73

Thank you. I had never heard of this, but my husband drinks soda like it's going out of style. I'm not sure if it will compare, but I have hopes. I used the 30% off and will print out the rebate. I like that they offer natural options and without corn syrup, as I cannot do any preservatives without reacting it seems. Thanks. We will give it a try. :)

Thank you. I had never heard of this, but my husband drinks soda like it's going out of style. I'm not sure if it will compare, but I have hopes. I used the 30% off and will print out the rebate. I like that they offer natural options and without corn syrup, as I cannot do any preservatives without reacting it seems. Thanks. We will give it a try. :)

I'd love to hear your opinion about this after you've used it a few times! I've thought about getting one, but not knowing if it will "really" taste like soda, has really kept me away...and I also wonder if it's a pain to clean? That would definitely deter me!

I have had a SodaStream for almost 2 years, and I LOVE it. The taste is a little different, kinda like drinking store brand or another brand of soda, but it still tastes good. The mix is made with sugar instead of corn syrup. And it's a lot less calories. The Fountain Mist that I like is 35 calories (not diet) for 8 oz, and normal Mountain Dew is 110 per 8 oz. My kids really love the Root Beer, and like that they can make it themselves when they need to. And it sure is nice knowing that you always have soda available, and don't have to worry about it going flat. The normal bottles are 1 liter. You can also buy .5 liter, and I put this in my lunch box. It is not hard to clean. Everything is done right in the main drinking bottle. So for the main unit, you only need to wipe it down from time to time like any other countertop appliance. The bottles you just wash out in the sink. I really don't use dish soap either, it's not needed, unless you drink out of the bottle, then I clean the top real good.

I get my CO2 refills at Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% coupon and it is much cheaper. I think it was only about $10.

As I am writing this, my husband is getting ready to go to work, and goes over and makes him an energy drink (like Red Bull) so he doesn't have to stop at the store. Took less than a minute. So much easier.

Edited by bluebear

I had one for a few years now...have one of the earlier models (big and a little clunky) but it works great! I understand the concern with the initial cost..I was leery too. But It pays for itself very quickly. You can make plan soda water. If you add a squeeze of fresh lemon or a packet or true lemon you can make your own perrier knock off.

I am not a big fan of the soda club mixes...at least the original ones were part sugar and part artificial sweetner. And I hate the taste of artificial sweetner. (I have not yet tried their new soda mixes...the ones that are all sugar. So they may be OK.) What I do is head to my local restaurant warehouse (GFS in my case) and I buy a 5 gallon box of name brand pop syrup. I cut open the pouch and pour it into two 2 1/2 gallon plastic drink dispensers. And I just tap what I need from the little spout. It lasts me almost a year. But I can have real coca-cola or sprite or whatever. And I can make it fresh in my kitchen as I need it. And you can control the amount of syrup you use. You can control how fizzy you want it to be too. (Because you pump the carbonation in...so you can use 3, 4 or 5 pumps.) You can't over carbonate (A danger I suspect)...it makes a rather rude noise as it blows out any extra air if you try to put too much carbonation in. :rolleyes:

A word to the wise....when they recommend carbonating plain water first and then adding the flavoring...THEY MEAN IT. (You can't recarbonate any flat soda either.) If you try to carbonate something with syrup in it....you will have a HUGE mess. (Like sticking a menthos into a two liter bottle of pop type mess.....:o)

$53 is a great deal to jump into this if you have been thinking about it....I'd doubt that you'd find another deal this good. It usually runs about $100.

Thanks for the information you guys! I feel a bit relieved and glad to know. My husband usually drinks an energy drink in the morning, as he gets up at 3am and drives a couple hours to work, so that was another reason---seeing you could do energy drinks as well. Those aren't cheap! And, we have tons of Dr. Pepper cans we have to recycle. I like a natural grapefruit soda, and when I saw that offered as one with no corn syrup, I got excited for me too. Going to head into town today to see what flavors are offered locally and what prices.

TY! been wanting to try one to see if we'd actually use it, but even with BBB 20% off I couldnt bring myself to splurge until now. Last christmas was the Keurig, this Christmas I get a Soda tream, what next year?!:D

Where do I get extra 1 Lt bottles to use? Can i reuse pepsi 1 Lt bottles?

Is it the same as BBB? Can i buy the syrups at BBB or does Kohls carry them?

sodastream.com sells everything you need. BBB sells extra bottles, both 1 liter and .5 liter. So does Target, Best Buy, and I'm pretty sure Kohl's should too (not sure about .5 liter though). All these places also will have the mix.

You cannot reuse Pepsi bottles. They are special bottles that fit in the machine. But they last a really long time and are very sturdy. BBB also sells replacement caps.

I had one for a few years now...have one of the earlier models (big and a little clunky) but it works great! I understand the concern with the initial cost..I was leery too. But It pays for itself very quickly. You can make plan soda water. If you add a squeeze of fresh lemon or a packet or true lemon you can make your own perrier knock off.

I am not a big fan of the soda club mixes...at least the original ones were part sugar and part artificial sweetner. And I hate the taste of artificial sweetner. (I have not yet tried their new soda mixes...the ones that are all sugar. So they may be OK.) What I do is head to my local restaurant warehouse (GFS in my case) and I buy a 5 gallon box of name brand pop syrup. I cut open the pouch and pour it into two 2 1/2 gallon plastic drink dispensers. And I just tap what I need from the little spout. It lasts me almost a year. But I can have real coca-cola or sprite or whatever. And I can make it fresh in my kitchen as I need it. And you can control the amount of syrup you use. You can control how fizzy you want it to be too. (Because you pump the carbonation in...so you can use 3, 4 or 5 pumps.) You can't over carbonate (A danger I suspect)...it makes a rather rude noise as it blows out any extra air if you try to put too much carbonation in. :rolleyes:

A word to the wise....when they recommend carbonating plain water first and then adding the flavoring...THEY MEAN IT. (You can't recarbonate any flat soda either.) If you try to carbonate something with syrup in it....you will have a HUGE mess. (Like sticking a menthos into a two liter bottle of pop type mess.....:o)

$53 is a great deal to jump into this if you have been thinking about it....I'd doubt that you'd find another deal this good. It usually runs about $100.

Does the syrup keep that long after you open it....for a year? I would think it would mold or something??? Also, we dont have a GFS around here do you know where else I can get the name brand syrup?

Thanks

I stopped at Kohls to see about flavors, but the only one they had was the energy drink. Later, I popped into Staples, as the website for SodaStream gave me locations to buy it locally and Staples actually had the Dr. Pete I was looking for and the CO2 bottles, and their prices were better. The variety pack Kohls had was on sale for 12.99 and Staples had it for 9.99. They keep the CO2 bottles in the back locked up, but was glad I went there.

Does the syrup keep that long after you open it....for a year? I would think it would mold or something??? Also, we dont have a GFS around here do you know where else I can get the name brand syrup?

Thanks

I'd look for someplace locally that does restaraunt supplies, they should carry the the name brand syrup. I had one person tell me that they knew the owner of a local convience store and they would buy the 2.5 gallon boxes of syrup from the owner. (Kind of a friend to friend, under the table type thing.) These boxes are made for small fountain type set ups. The syrup is heavy as heck so take someone with muscles (if you are not that strong.) They have a special attachment to connect to the fountain so the easiest way for the home user to use it is to cut the pouch in a corner and pour the syrup into a large drink container. Store it in the refridgerator. (Bottom shelf in my fridge is dedicated to the drink container. Get one with spout. (The kind of drink container you take for lemonade or ice tea at a family picnic) Then I just pour the syrup into the carbonated water as needed. The expiration date on the boxes is often short. But I have never had any trouble with mold or lack of taste or anyone getting sick. It's just sugar water....it will last if you refridgerate it. You may have to experiment to get the pop to taste the way you think it should. I find when I make Coke that I like it when I have the carbinated water about 1/4 inch BELOW the syrup line and then fill it with syrup from there. (The bottles are premarked to make measuring easy. But the line is base on SodaStream's syrups which have some artifical sweetner in them...hence less syrup.)

You can experiment too. I have tried using snow cone syrup and it makes a decent red and grape pop. I have been meaning to boil up my own sugar water (6c sugar and 3 c water. stir constantly until it is at a rolling boil for 5 minutes....syrup will be clear and not gritty.) and then use the true lemon and true grapefruit to make my own lemon and grapefruit flavored soda. I think they will come out OK. Unsweetened kool-aid in the syrup should make a decent flavored soda as well.

The tip about having a back up carbonator is a good one....they last a while but always seem to go empty at the most inconvenient times. (Like right before leaving for work.):razz:

Does anyone know the cost of the home made soda per ounce? I'm trying to see if it is cheaper then buying pop on sale. I usually pay $2.00-$2.50 per 12 pk of soda. That is 144 ozs total.

According to the sodastream site, a can of soda is about 25 cents. One bottle of syrup equals 33 cans of soda, and one carbonator is equal to 60 liters. With that said, you're also not getting the same calories/ingredients as you would in a regular can of soda. In Mt. Dew, there's 110 calories, 40mg sodium, and 31g carbs. In the Soda Stream version (Fountain Mist), there's 35 calories, 46mg of sodium, and 8g carbs.

We use our soda stream in addition to buying soda, as it's easier sometimes to just grab one from the fridge than it is to make a soda. I find we use our soda stream more in the summer for some reason.

I personally don't like any of the SodaStream brand flavors. Instead, I use Torani syrup to make an Italian soda style drink. You can find them at Smart and Final if you have one near you.

I like the idea of a restaurant supply name brand option. I'm going to ask around and she if I can find something!

GFS also had some concentrate to make flavored drinks for food service that were only 4.99 a bottle that are 9 to one concentrated. They had orange, lemon, pink lemonade, fruit punch and some other flavors. I think these would work great with the soda stream. I bought the Orange and Pink Lemonade to try for the kids!

Does anyone know the cost of the home made soda per ounce? I'm trying to see if it is cheaper then buying pop on sale. I usually pay $2.00-$2.50 per 12 pk of soda. That is 144 ozs total.

Its getting harder to find it for $2.50 a 12pk...and usually they will limit how many you can buy. I usually pay $6 a 24pack. PLUS .10 each can deposit because I am in Michigan.

I used my Kohls cash to get 3 bottles, but today all they have left in stock is diet.

(got my Sodastream the day before christmas-awesome timing!)

I have several BBB 20% off coupons so I'll go in there this week and get some regular flavors and extra bottles.

How many pushed to you do of the carbonation? The instructions say wait for a buzz but it does not buzz exactly. We have been using 4 pushes of carb to get it fizzy enough.

Push it harder. You will hear the buzz. I do three pushes, 2 for the small bottles.

Keep extra bottles in the fridge filled with water. You will want the water cold before you make the soda.

I used my Kohls cash to get 3 bottles, but today all they have left in stock is diet.

(got my Sodastream the day before christmas-awesome timing!)

I have several BBB 20% off coupons so I'll go in there this week and get some regular flavors and extra bottles.

How many pushed to you do of the carbonation? The instructions say wait for a buzz but it does not buzz exactly. We have been using 4 pushes of carb to get it fizzy enough.