Buyer Beware @ Target.com

I bought an XBox the first week of November when they were $200 plus a $50 gift card. I took it in today to return it and it took over an hour for the return to go through! About 3 minutes in they had to call Target.com and it wouldn't work for anything. The Target employees said this is happening on most orders that come from Target.com. They were so frustrated. I don't have a single complaint about the store employees, they were very nice and trying everything they could. But if even they are saying that Target.com has very inconvienent returns, I'm definately going to be positive its something I'm going to keep.

Side note, my sister bought some legos from Target.com in their sale this weekend and they sent the wrong legos. Hopefully her return is smoother.

Just wanted to warn you all.

I think the problem might be with the gift card. I ran into this problem at Best Buy trying to return the xBox with a gift card.

At first they insisted I had to return it through the mail. We said that was contrary to their ad that everything could be returned in store. We had previously called to try to cancel, they said to return it in store and they gave us a case number in case we ran into trouble in the store.

The store couldn't figure out how to return the gift card. After 15 mins, they figured it out, but they couldn't figure out how to return the shipping, as we paid extra for expedited. Then it was coming up a dollar something short, we said forget it, keep the dollar, we just want to be done with it.

Target.com does have a unique return to store method. You cannot just bring in your packing slip/receipt and use it to return items. You have to go online (some store have a kiosk near the return desk as well), log into your account and print a return receipt, which you bring with your item and use for the return. Once I figured that out, I have not had any issue making returns in store.

I agree that the gift card bonus is probably what is tripping up their system with the electronic purchases.

I had a similar issue last year at Walmart and they eventually had to put it through as a return without receipt since they couldn't figure out how to return items correctly. In my case it was a bundle of 2 memory cards which had been bundled for sale but when it arrived items were in a bag with their own sku's.

I was kind of annoyed that after waiting for sooo long for them to find a resolution they still asked for my driver's license knowing full well they had the receipt and everything but I was just happy to get the heck out of there.

I had the exact same issue w/my return of Xbox at Target as well.The manager finally got disgusted with the lack of resolve talking with their own 1-800 number and somehow bypassed it and credited back the FULL amount...I got the $50 giftcard for free :g_laughin.I think the issue was with the packing receipt versus regular receipt but you would think they would have fixed that issue long ago..

I had the exact same issue w/my return of Xbox at Target as well.The manager finally got disgusted with the lack of resolve talking with their own 1-800 number and somehow bypassed it and credited back the FULL amount...I got the $50 giftcard for free :g_laughin.I think the issue was with the packing receipt versus regular receipt but you would think they would have fixed that issue long ago..

I got to keep my card too so i wasn't too upset. DH was really frustrated though because we were in a slight hurry and it took an hour. They were very nice to me. She also had to call over the manager and complain about .com. They said it had nothing to do with the card or packing slip. .com just never gives them the right info I guess. They are actually 2 different stores but don't advertise that. I told her they say easy in store returns online and she said "never easy with target.com".

Had a problem too. I ordered two iPod touches. They charged me for the iPods minus the cost of the gift card ( which I thought was great). Then they charged me for the gift cards a few days later. Really messed up my bank account

That's the same thing that happened to me. I ordered two I-pod touches for Black Friday and I checked by acct that Tuesday and they only charged me 155 for each and I thought they just weren't going to send me the gift card which was fine. That following Thursday I checked my acct and they charged me the $40 for both. I called and clearly the person on the other end was clearly reading from a script and I quote " I investigated all the avenues at my disposal" Who talks like that? He said he would send the gift cards. Then about and hour later I got 1 e-gift card for $40. Then I got an email saying my gift card will be processed. Then the next day I got two gift cards in the mail? Hey I'm up $40 bucks!

I was charged the same way. I think they do that so there is a return value to the item. Since they don't refund the gift cards it's the price of the item, minus the gift card.

My charges were different dates because the card and system were shipped on different days and they charge at shipping.

That's the same thing that happened to me. I ordered two I-pod touches for Black Friday and I checked by acct that Tuesday and they only charged me 155 for each and I thought they just weren't going to send me the gift card which was fine. That following Thursday I checked my acct and they charged me the $40 for both. I called and clearly the person on the other end was clearly reading from a script and I quote " I investigated all the avenues at my disposal" Who talks like that? He said he would send the gift cards. Then about and hour later I got 1 e-gift card for $40. Then I got an email saying my gift card will be processed. Then the next day I got two gift cards in the mail? Hey I'm up $40 bucks!

Okay now I'm up $80 as another gift card came in the mail today?

I'd check my credit card bill, Target decided something that I bought should have cost more than it said at checkout, so they billed it to my target credit card even though the email receipt they sent had the lower amount. Target.com transferred me to target credit card who transferred me to target.com who transferred me to target credit card who said she was going to transfer me and I started yelling at her on the phone. They kept telling me it was the other ones issue not theirs, it took an hour and 16 minutes on the phone to get them to credit me the overcharge. Target credit cards can look up a store purchase but not a internet target.com purchase, they can only see the total amount of the purchase and none of the information about the purchase.

I used my e gift card last night and I learned that to use a Target.com E-gift card in the store you have to set up acct on Target.com and save the e-card to that acct. Lucky for me I could do it on my phone while I was there. They kept saying you couldn't use the e-gift card in the store unless you had a smart phone? That didn't make sense to me, but since I have and I-phone I didn't investigate it further?